Epic Diesel Engine to be Replaced - Sea Trial Delayed

time2cruise1

http://www.labaule.maville.com/actu/actudet_-Changement-de-moteur-pour-l-Epic-_dep-1320475_actu.Htm

I rough translation by my best French friend Google.

Change engine for Epic

After repairing the engine, the "Norwegian Epic" at the end of May for its second test campaign Wed Photo STX Bernard Biger

The intervention will be conducted once the ship in dry dock. Transfer Announced Monday, April 12.

Flashback. On Friday, March 26, damage to one of six diesel engine had forced the postponement of the transfer of Norwegian Epic Lock-in the form Joubert.

"The failure of mechanical parts" which has caused serious damage, according to management.

After review, a decision has finally been taken to move the giant ocean liner in dry dock around April 12, to painting. With a big difference, however, since it will also replace the damaged engine. Maneuver "Very delicate" that requires the extraction of the boat.

Delivery Date maintained

And why there is no 36 solutions. "You really open a breach in the hull, Eric says HRD Breux. Nothing less. A similar exercise has already been made to sites on the Me especially. The cost was not disclosed. "It is the subject of discussion between insurers".

The only certainty is perhaps the most important, this remedy should not "Disrupt the planning of all work on board". The delivery to the owner NCL remains kept at 15 June

Nicolas Dahéron

"You really opened a breach in the hull and remove the engine"

Media-Ocean

I wonder what the hell happened? That's pretty serious to have an engine already screwed up and the ship hasn't even been put hard to sea yet. :( When the Coral Princess had delays I lost most of the respect for this shipyard and when I heard that they were building the Epic I held my breath. I would love more technical details on just what went wrong.

Thanks for the translation of the article time 2 cruise. :) Sounds like whatever it is they can fix it and still work in an on-time delivery of the Epic for NCL. That's really great news. I just hope everything onboard her works right. When this shipyard delivered the Coral Princess the crew area was still not finished and the some of the features onboard her didn't work properly but they were still fixing them when we sailed (even after the ship was delayed). I hope to hell they don't screw up the Epic.

Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas had similar problems after a diesel engine was installed on her a few years back and developed problems. Eventually the ship had to be taken out of service and put into drydock while she was in Boston. Apparently the fix worked as there have been no new reports of problems since then. Better that the problem arose before the ship went into service and, if the needed replacement doesn't delay the ship's debut, all will be good.:) Unfortunately any lessons learned during the construction of Epic may be lost since no more are scheduled to be built.

Good point. I would strongly urge NCL to build their ships with Meyer Wreft in Germany or Fincantieri in Italy. Anywhere but France!!! :eek::p:) The Jewel and Dawn class have worked perfectly for NCL - all things considered (minus the azipods but that's the Rolls Royce folks). Here's hoping one day the Epic has a sister but it's not going to be for many years coming. I think she'll be a one of a kind in the NCL fleet. :(

Two nights ago I dreamed that the Epic was delayed because the Captain found safety issues (railings and lifeboats) and so our TA was canceled!

Okay, for anyone not reading closely...it was my dream (nightmare), but I was sanguine about it and looking forward to the promised upgrades on a future sailing etc.

Here's hoping it was not ESP.

http://www.meretmarine.com/article.cfm?id=112867

Translation courtesy of Google:

Norwegian Epic: STX France will have to replace a motor

April 12 is that the Norwegian steamer Epic should eventually be transferred to form Joubert. Currently under construction at STX shipyards of Saint-Nazaire, France, the ship has suffered, March 26, severe damage to one of its 6 diesel engines. Ten minutes after starting the engine, a mechanical component failure occurred. "This break has caused the one hand, major internal damage and secondly, the projection of parts outside the engine," said STX, which states that the engine must be replaced. "This unique intervention, which does not require disassembly of the other engines currently under control, not disrupt the schedule of all work on board.

Luckily, an engine seems available and the work should not affect the completion date of the new giant American company Norwegian Cruise Line. If the second series of sea trials in late May was delayed, delivery to NCL is still scheduled June 15

Laid down in April 2008, the Norwegian Epic (C33) is the largest passenger ship achieved so far in Saint-Nazaire. Feature of 329.45 meters and a width of 40.64 meters, displays a gauge mastodon 153,000 tons. With 19 bridges, it will have 2,098 booths, a maximum capacity of 5186 passengers. The crew, which includes 1730 individuals, 1404 will be housed in other booths. The cost of this vessel is estimated at 1.2 billion, making it the most expensive ocean liner in history after the Oasis of the Seas (1.4 billion).

I guess if it's canceled we will just have to spend another week in London! How awful....;)

Such a horrible fate to befall anyone and especially now when the value of the British pound is considerably less than it was a year or two ago.;)

The captain of the Dawn, who will become the captain of the Epic, made no mention of this last week when he spoke to the passengers the night he was introduced. He announced that he had recently been on the Epic and that the sea trial went very well.

Karen

The captain of the Dawn, who will become the captain of the Epic, made no mention of this last week when he spoke to the passengers the night he was introduced. He announced that he had recently been on the Epic and that the sea trial went very well.

Karen

He may have been on the first sea trials which by all reports did go quite well and was referring to that experience.:)

Good point. I would strongly urge NCL to build their ships with Meyer Wreft in Germany or Fincantieri in Italy. Anywhere but France!!! :eek::p:) The Jewel and Dawn class have worked perfectly for NCL - all things considered (minus the azipods but that's the Rolls Royce folks). Here's hoping one day the Epic has a sister but it's not going to be for many years coming. I think she'll be a one of a kind in the NCL fleet. :(

I was kinda surprised that STX France is building the Epic considering NCL's history with Meyer Werft. I wonder if it was because she might not fit inside Meyer Werft's facilities.

The azipods on the Jewel and Dawn class ships were not the Rolls unit, they were actually made by ABB and are more reliable than the Rolls Royce units.

Karen

I'm a little confused....the captain of the Jade went to the EPIC, was in the photos of the EPIC sea trials, and from what I understood, is on the ship during final fitting...

no?

I'm a little confused....the captain of the Jade went to the EPIC, was in the photos of the EPIC sea trials, and from what I understood, is on the ship during final fitting...

no?

Like all NCL ships, the Epic has two captains who alternate on a 10 week rotation basis. When NCL announced the key personnel a few months ago, both Trygve Vorren (from the Jade) and Hakan Svedung (from the Dawn) were named. Both were aboard the Epic for the first sea trials.

boeckli could you please tell me how to put a countdown clock like the one you have with that picture of the Epic Ship ? Thank you so much, Janice

Hi Janice - This is the link for my countdown clocks http://*****/

I used the clock only (you can also add text) and did the picture separately.

Here is the link for the count down clock.

http://www.nauticalcities.com/

That is the link for GigCrusier's countdown clocks, but not mine.

Hi Janice - This is the link for my countdown clocks http://*****/

I used the clock only (you can also add text) and did the picture separately.

That is the link for GigCrusier's countdown clocks, but not mine.

oh wow... sorry, they are different. I thought they were the same and I was being helpful.

Epic is too big and could not be built at MeyerWeft in Germany who built many of the other ships. The latest Celebrity Ecliplse/Equinox/Solstice are the largest to be built there as they can barely fit going down the river to get to the sea. So they built it in France.

Epic is too big and could not be built at MeyerWeft in Germany who built many of the other ships. The latest Celebrity Ecliplse/Equinox/Solstice are the largest to be built there as they can barely fit going down the river to get to the sea. So they built it in France.

The new Disney twins are slightly bigger than the Solstice ships. ;)

Archived