Anyone Think The iPad Wifi Will Work on X?

kitty9

The USA today app is really nice. The subscription is free until July 4th iirc. The BBC app is nice as well!

Not to mention all the free books with project gutenburg! You can have plenty of books for the vacation!

Also I have one of the offline pages app that allows you to save webpages for later viewing. One could download websites of their destination or whatever and be able to view them without the wifi connection.

The USA today app is really nice. The subscription is free until July 4th iirc. The BBC app is nice as well!

Not to mention all the free books with project gutenburg! You can have plenty of books for the vacation!

Also I have one of the offline pages app that allows you to save webpages for later viewing. One could download websites of their destination or whatever and be able to view them without the wifi connection.

Agree, USA today is very good,didn't know that it's free for a limited time. Wonder what the cost will be? Wall street journal cost for full coverage is pricey. I installed the offline pages as well, great idea!

BBC is also a good read.

Will I-PAD work on older ships like Summit....vis a vis connectivity?

I've read positive comments about newer ships but perhaps those are wired better?

It should work but none has yet reported back about the connectivity on older ships. I am sure we will hear more reports in the next few weeks when more people get back from sailings. One thing to keep in mind is that on Celebrity older ships the whole ship may not have Wi-Fi. Only some public areas. Last fall I was on Constellation and at that time there were only Wi Fi hotspots in some public areas. My iPhone connected fine at those hotspots. No Wi Fi in the cabins. Don't know if they expanding the Wi Fi after the drydock.

We LOVE our 32GB iPad. Went with the wifi only model because we already pay AT&T $30 per month for unlimited iPhone data and that will work nicely in a pinch. I had planned on taking our AL Macbook on Century next month, but the iPad and our iPhones will be perfect. We have already grabbed a few books to read and loaded enough tv shows and movies to keep us happy. I was happy to see that all of the stuff I Handbraked came straight over and looks awesome.

I ordered a Dodocase (link) over the weekend - basically a Moleskine look alike, which should be fantastic.

We will hunt down the wi-fi signals and let everyone know where you can catch one on the Century.

We LOVE our 32GB iPad. Went with the wifi only model because we already pay AT&T $30 per month for unlimited iPhone data and that will work nicely in a pinch. I had planned on taking our AL Macbook on Century next month, but the iPad and our iPhones will be perfect. We have already grabbed a few books to read and loaded enough tv shows and movies to keep us happy. I was happy to see that all of the stuff I Handbraked came straight over and looks awesome.

I ordered a Dodocase (link) over the weekend - basically a Moleskine look alike, which should be fantastic.

We will hunt down the wi-fi signals and let everyone know where you can catch one on the Century.

Thanks for the DODOcase link. I just ordered one. They look really elegant and old fashioned at the same time ... not to mention well made.

fern

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I both plan on taking our 3G iPads with to the E. Med this coming week. There are international data plans, one is 200 megs for $200 and seem to be supported in all countries in the itinerary.

I'd like to know the wifi costs of the ship though.. but what I remember was it was close to $1/meg.

Anyone have info on this and does this change in Europe vs. the Carrib?

I will be doing a lot of documentation around the iPad on the ship... I suspect it will become a huge success for travelers and we'll be seeing more and more of them on cruises.

This will be the first cruise we leave our laptop at home.

FYI - iPad International Data Plans are as follows (all are 30 days):

20mb - $24.99

50mb - $59.99

100mb - $119.99

200mb - $199.99

My wife and I both plan on taking our 3G iPads with to the E. Med this coming week. There are international data plans, one is 200 megs for $200 and seem to be supported in all countries in the itinerary.

I'd like to know the wifi costs of the ship though.. but what I remember was it was close to $1/meg.

Anyone have info on this and does this change in Europe vs. the Carrib?

I will be doing a lot of documentation around the iPad on the ship... I suspect it will become a huge success for travelers and we'll be seeing more and more of them on cruises.

This will be the first cruise we leave our laptop at home.

FYI - iPad International Data Plans are as follows (all are 30 days):

20mb - $24.99

50mb - $59.99

100mb - $119.99

200mb - $199.99

Those international plans are pretty high. I used 25mb in about three hours on my 3G iPad on Monday on AT&T. I suggest using the ships Wi-Fi as it will be a lot cheaper. Their plans are by the minute, not by meg. It runs about .50 a minute depending on the package you buy.

Hi.

I would be grateful if you can post about your iPad experience as soon as you can, please. I am leaving with my 3G iPad on May 20th on the Century TA and am fervently hoping the wi-fi will be easy to log on to.

Thanks in advance for any tips and feedback.

Fern

P.s. I sure do love this puppy and I have only had it a week! :D

Those international plans are pretty high. I used 25mb in about three hours on my 3G iPad on Monday on AT&T. I suggest using the ships Wi-Fi as it will be a lot cheaper. Their plans are by the minute, not by meg. It runs about .50 a minute depending on the package you buy.

I'm a fairly heavy iPad user.. a couple email accounts, always browsing the app store, news, facebook, web etc. 10mb total for about 10 hours (including a few app installs). At that rate $200 would cover the entire 2 weeks and even let me faceboast a bit with photos.

Depending on how they calculate time online and how good of a connection it is, it would be $30 for just an hour of use. To me that seems way steeper than the international data plan.

I guess it depends on what kind of internet user you are but I think I'd rather pay up front and be able to use my data for as long as I want vs. feeling rushed.

Maybe I'll do a shoot out and see what the difference is (speed, experience, cost, etc.) I could see a med cruise having much less browsing time than a carrib cruise.

I'm a fairly heavy iPad user.. a couple email accounts, always browsing the app store, news, facebook, web etc. 10mb total for about 10 hours (including a few app installs). At that rate $200 would cover the entire 2 weeks and even let me faceboast a bit with photos.

Depending on how they calculate time online and how good of a connection it is, it would be $30 for just an hour of use. To me that seems way steeper than the international data plan.

I guess it depends on what kind of internet user you are but I think I'd rather pay up front and be able to use my data for as long as I want vs. feeling rushed.

Maybe I'll do a shoot out and see what the difference is (speed, experience, cost, etc.) I could see a med cruise having much less browsing time than a carrib cruise.

When you are on a cruise you are not going to spend hours a day surfing the Internet. I rarely spend more than $50 for a package on a 7 day cruise. In Europe I find free Wi Fi hot spots in the ports. Those international data plans are high priced. If you are a heavy user I don't see how you only got 10mb in 10 hours. I used 25 mb in a few hours. And that was email and a few web sites. I was not even on the Internet every minute of those few hours.

When you are on a cruise you are not going to spend hours a day surfing the Internet. I rarely spend more than $50 for a package on a 7 day cruise. In Europe I find free Wi Fi hot spots in the ports. Those international data plans are high priced. If you are a heavy user I don't see how you only got 10mb in 10 hours. I used 25 mb in a few hours. And that was email and a few web sites. I was not even on the Internet every minute of those few hours.

My stats don't lie.... granted Friday is a slow day at the office.

Like I said, it probably depends on the user. I have a pretty good idea of my usage and how I'll spend my time on the cruise, I still think overall I'll be better off with the international plan but others usage may vary. To me there would be nothing at all relaxing about feeling rushed doing anything on a cruise, being online included.

IT is my job, so even on vacation I'll probably be geeking out longer than the typical cruiser, especially considering how mobile this is. Would be completely different with a laptop, at least for me.

But as I also stated I'll probably do some comparisons, at least based on my usage.

My stats don't lie.... granted Friday is a slow day at the office.

Like I said, it probably depends on the user. I have a pretty good idea of my usage and how I'll spend my time on the cruise, I still think overall I'll be better off with the international plan but others usage may vary. To me there would be nothing at all relaxing about feeling rushed doing anything on a cruise, being online included.

IT is my job, so even on vacation I'll probably be geeking out longer than the typical cruiser, especially considering how mobile this is. Would be completely different with a laptop, at least for me.

But as I also stated I'll probably do some comparisons, at least based on my usage.

The international plan will only be in effect while in port. You will still need the ships Wi Fi at Sea.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not go through all the posts on this thread to see if this was posted yet but it appears that the ship's WiFi is not compatible with the default Apple MAC (Safari) browser. On X's website, it suggests download of Firefox or IE for MAC beforehand. I wonder if this will get changed now that there will be Apple products sold onboard and the release of the iLounges.

I did not go through all the posts on this thread to see if this was posted yet but it appears that the ship's WiFi is not compatible with the default Apple MAC (Safari) browser. On X's website, it suggests download of Firefox or IE for MAC beforehand. I wonder if this will get changed now that there will be Apple products sold onboard and the release of the iLounges.

You should have read through the posts. Safari does work. The iPad will work.

• 2 weeks later...
Someone earlier in the thread confirmed that it worked on a Celebrity ship. On the Solstice.

For pictures from your camera you need the camera connection kit.

You don't need a dock. Just take the charger that is included with the iPad.

I bought the $39 case to use first. I figure in time there will be a lot more cases to choose from but the $39 case seems like a good one to start with. They already shipped me that case. I just need the 3G iPad to ship now :).

I intend to get Pages and you can compose in pages and copy and paste for e-mails home. On my iPhone though I just compose in the e-mail program. That is what I will do with the iPad. You can compose offline in the e-mail program and read offline.

Hi,

Need help from everyone out there. DS (The King of Geeks) gave me a 16GB I-Pad- here are the questions ( pls if I ask him I will get the rolling eye look)

Plan to use it for documents- have Pages & am using it-no problem,maps, books on the plane & ship. Will download photos when I get home.

1. How do I Charge the battery in Europe? Do I need TRANSFORMER or Just ADAPTOR(S)?

2. If I actually walk around with it (doubtful ) will the maps remain on screen ( wi-fi off) can I enlarge the map ( the finger spread trick)

3. Solstice- if I do decide to use with Solstice wifi is it easy to set up?

Thanks for your help

Carole

...1. How do I Charge the battery in Europe? Do I need TRANSFORMER or Just ADAPTOR(S)?

2. If I actually walk around with it (doubtful ) will the maps remain on screen ( wi-fi off) can I enlarge the map ( the finger spread trick)

3. Solstice- if I do decide to use with Solstice wifi is it easy to set up?

Thanks for your help

Carole

Take a look at your charger - someplace on it there will be writing which indicates "Input" and it will list the voltage. If this has an upper range of somewhere around 220V (or higher) all you need is a plug adaptor - these run $5 to $10 at online stores such as Amazon or Travelsmith. Most likely this will be the case as I know it has been on all the other Apple chargers (iphone, ipod, laptop) we've had. If the maximum is 120v or lower then you should consider buying a charger designed for your unit or a transformer. If you buy a transformer then be very careful that the unit is designed for the type of unit you are putting it on since all transformers are not equal and one designed for a different type of appliance can easily fry your electronics.

2. - I wouldn't walk around Europe using this for maps - too much to carry around and keep an eye on. Get a paper map if you need one. By far the best walk around tourist maps I've used are the Mapeasy Guidemap series. It is well worth the $7per city to have something that you can fold and put in your pocket or purse and if you lose it, or spill something on it, it is only $7 not $700.

• 3 months later...
Someone earlier in the thread confirmed that it worked on a Celebrity ship. On the Solstice.

For pictures from your camera you need the camera connection kit.

You don't need a dock. Just take the charger that is included with the iPad.

I bought the $39 case to use first. I figure in time there will be a lot more cases to choose from but the $39 case seems like a good one to start with. They already shipped me that case. I just need the 3G iPad to ship now :).

I intend to get Pages and you can compose in pages and copy and paste for e-mails home. On my iPhone though I just compose in the e-mail program. That is what I will do with the iPad. You can compose offline in the e-mail program and read offline.

I am nearly convinced that I will be buying and taking a WiFi-only iPad along with me on the Constellation trans-Atlantic from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale on 6 November 2010. I was on the eastbound Constellation TA last spring and had absolutely no problem sending data to print from my VAIO laptop to the internet center's HP printer.

I would like to hear from someone who has recently been able to successfully print from their iPad to the internet center's printer on the Constellation. If so, then it's bye-bye to taking my VAIO on the next cruise and going exclusively with the iPad. Any takers?

Can't speak to wireless printing but I took my iPad on the Eclipse in Europe this summer and it worked like a charm with the ship's wifi and I was addicted to it. Never used DH's laptop once...

As for charging... We spent time in Holland and the UK as well as on the ship. You don't need a voltage converter, just a plug adaptor. Just plug in the iPad and watch it charge up...

I am so in love with my iPad....

I used my iPhone's wifi successfully on Princess and but not on Holland America. We are taking our first cruise with an iPad and on Celebrity on the Summit on September 5th. I'll try to remember to find this thread after the cruise and let you know how I made out.

I am nearly convinced that I will be buying and taking a WiFi-only iPad along with me on the Constellation trans-Atlantic from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale on 6 November 2010. I was on the eastbound Constellation TA last spring and had absolutely no problem sending data to print from my VAIO laptop to the internet center's HP printer.

I would like to hear from someone who has recently been able to successfully print from their iPad to the internet center's printer on the Constellation. If so, then it's bye-bye to taking my VAIO on the next cruise and going exclusively with the iPad. Any takers?

Printing from the pad is always cumbersome I think! That is something that needs to be greatly improved upon for release 2. IMHO

1. How do I Charge the battery in Europe? Do I need TRANSFORMER or Just ADAPTOR(S)?

All you need is the apple international travel plug kit...all the apple "power bricks" have swappable plugs...just take out the US one and put in the euro or UK plug. I have done this a million times in Europe with my iPod, iPad, iPhone and MacBook Pro! I swear by this! :)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB974ZM/B?fnode=MTY1NDEwMQ&mco=MTg2MzQyMDY

Jeff

Archived