Anyone Think The iPad Wifi Will Work on X?

kitty9

You can pick up wi-fi, you will need to subscribe to the ships access via a password after purchase of minutes. Nothing is free on the ship. You may be able to get free wi-fi on shore if you can find a location.

Good for you on the iPad.:) Enjoy!

Yes, I'm a techno-geek and purchased the new iPad. It's fantastic !!

I wonder if the wifi will work on a cruise ship? Guess I'll have to wait until my next X cruise to find out.

Sure it will work. You must not really be a techno-geek if you have to ask :)

By the way Celebrity will be selling iPads on board.

Charles, I am not convinced based on the admittedly limited items I have 'heard' they will be selling them on board. They 'should' sell them on board, tag into the connectivity as a profit center, but that's just me.

Darcie if you have an iPad in hand on day 1, and that is today at 9am, you are geek enough for me and probably for Apple too.;)

Celebrity Cruises Introduces "Celebrity iLounge"

Contemporary new venue allows guests to 'stay social,' shop and learn

Miami - (February 18, 2010 ) - With the launch of its new brand platform, "Designed for you," last month, Celebrity Cruises reinforced its commitment to delivering the ultimate combination of ship design, service, cuisine and programs for cruise lovers. And today, it announced plans for a new venue whose design, products and programming are sure to appeal to today's cruisers.

When Celebrity Eclipse - the third in Celebrity Cruises' stylish Solstice Class fleet of ships - launches in April, guests will find the first "Celebrity iLounge." Designed to not only offer a hip, modern lounge ambience, Celebrity also created the space to offer what its guests said they wanted most in an Internet café: easy access to the Internet, inspiring classes and new products.

The Celebrity iLounge is composed of three main areas: a series of 26 contemporary workstations where guests can check their e-mail, retain their social media connections, or print boarding passes; a retail space offering cruisers the opportunity to see and try out the latest MacBooks®, iPods® and accessories; and an enrichment center where certified staff will offer guests tips on Mac or iPod usage.

"Our new Celebrity iLounge is a direct outgrowth of our 'Designed for you' brand platform, and our commitment to listen to our guests and offer experiences and programs expressly designed for them," said Celebrity's President and CEO Dan Hanrahan. "Our surveys show that our guests rely heavily on the Internet for research, learning and staying in touch, so we think this new offering will be a big hit, as will the contemporary online classes offered through the 'Discover' series of our inspiring and enriching 'Celebrity Life' experiences."

Enhancing the "Discover" component of its "Celebrity Life" series of inspiring enrichment and entertainment experiences, Celebrity will offer in the Celebrity iLounge a series of engaging new courses designed to suit its guests' interests - including do-it-yourself photo books, movie editing and web design, through programs including iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and iWeb. And whether guests are savvy or novice users of Mac or iPod products, Celebrity's certified staff will be well-equipped to assist, following more than 125 hours of training in operating systems, applications, and products. They also will be poised to illustrate to guests the differences between Macs and PCs.

Guests eager to expand their collection of merchandise will find the Celebrity iLounge an enticing venue, too. As an Authorized Apple Reseller, Celebrity will have products available for guests to purchase, including iPods, MacBooks, and essential accessories.

Located on deck six of Celebrity Eclipse, the Celebrity iLounge will house the 26 MacBook Pro's, classroom and retail area, in addition to display pods, a 56-inch flat-screen TV for use during classes, and an accessible workstation.

The Celebrity iLounge also will be presented on Celebrity Silhouette, which launches in 2011, and the fifth ship in the Solstice Class fleet, which sets sail in 2012.

Celebrity Cruises is designed for discerning cruisers, with modern, sophisticated environments, impeccable service, enriching and inspiring onboard programs, and world-class cuisine. The ultimate in premium cruising, Celebrity sails in Alaska, Bermuda, California, Canada/New England, Europe, the Pacific Coast, Panama Canal, South America, and year-round in the Caribbean and the Galapagos Islands. Celebrity also offers immersive cruisetour experiences in Alaska, Canada, Europe and South America. Celebrity's mega-series of honors include being named the top mega-ship line in Condé Nast Traveler's annual Readers' Choice Awards (November 2009). Celebrity's fleet currently consists of nine ships. Its $3.7-billion investment in building five stylish Solstice Class ships between 2008-2012 represents the largest newbuild commitment for a single brand in industry history. For more information, call your travel agent, dial 1-800-437-3111.

Sure it will work. You must not really be a techno-geek if you have to ask :)

By the way Celebrity will be selling iPads on board.

Well, I tried getting my iTouch to work with X's wifi and it just wouldn't. I even tried to get help from the staff member in the computer room and he couldn't get the iTouch to connect.

I hope this area is not a big letdown for you "techno" geeks.. I have been on the Eclipse and don't see where there is a lot of room for a full store along with everything else....

It might be for other geeks. When did you get on this ship and whats up with the details...I know you are not a phographer:rolleyes:

As a bi-lingual computer person (certifications in OSX and Win7) :) I have the occaisional issue connecting an iTouch / iPhone to some networks. Mostly this has to do with a login screen that runs in Flash and you can spot these by a "Lego" icon in an empty white field. Not much you can do about that except take along a OSX laptop and sync the iwhatever to that. BTW, rumor is charging the iPad is difficult on a USB hub and a PC.

Typing this on my iPad right now. Figured I would jump in and confirm the iPad does not charge on my pc laptop directly from the USB ports. Mine says 'not charging' when connected to the USB connector. It will still synch though, so only half a aggravation. Hopefully when I upgrade to the new MacBook Pros that will not be a problem.

So far, this thing is awesome. It is really is nice to have all that screen real estate. The HD apps are really nice, but pricey!!!

:cool:

Well, I tried getting my iTouch to work with X's wifi and it just wouldn't. I even tried to get help from the staff member in the computer room and he couldn't get the iTouch to connect.

I never had any problem getting my iPhone to connect to the Wi Fi on Constellation last October and a fellow passenger I met was using an iPad Touch to check his e-mail and Facebook the whole cruise.

Typing this on my iPad right now. Figured I would jump in and confirm the iPad does not charge on my pc laptop directly from the USB ports. Mine says 'not charging' when connected to the USB connector. It will still synch though, so only half a aggravation. Hopefully when I upgrade to the new MacBook Pros that will not be a problem.

So far, this thing is awesome. It is really is nice to have all that screen real estate. The HD apps are really nice, but pricey!!!

:cool:

Ah, other early adopters:). I, too, have one in my possession. It's for work, but mine for now. I intend to order one with 3G.

ZA -- I read this morning it will only charge on high-power USB ports, in most cases you will have to use the adapter and plug it in.

Kitty9 - it should work on the wifi network. I used my Touch extensively on Solstice and it worked really well. Once you learn how to login in and out, its fine. Setup your account on one of the ships computers first, then you should be able to login on the wifi.

Now if they'd only announce the international plans for the iPad...

We've used our iPod Touches on two Mercury cruises with no problems, except at the very beginning of the first cruise when the X tech in the computer center initially had a setup problem with my husband's iPod -- my husband thinks for the login screen or password. Another X tech quickly resolved the problem. We used the iPods every seaday and some port days on the cruises to download email (and then read offline). Make sure to logoff X's network when finished to prevent excess charges.

It's intersting to hear about the iPad and the charging. Assuming that this is not intentional, one would think that they would have adequately tested the charging on both OSX and Windows (different versions) machines & via USB ports. We want an iPad at some point in the near future but are waiting to hear more about them and for 1st generation problems to be resolved. Sure is tempting to get one though!

Kathy

No explanation for your problem with your iPod touch, but WiFi is WiFi. It doesn't matter if you're using Windows, Mac, Linux or a smartphone-type device. WiFi is WiFi and is cross-platform compatible.

Typing this on my iPad right now. Figured I would jump in and confirm the iPad does not charge on my pc laptop directly from the USB ports. Mine says 'not charging' when connected to the USB connector.

The USB port spec calls for 500 milliamps and that's not enough to charge an iPad. Some manufacturers, including Apple, over-spec the power on USB ports (mostly for powering portable USB hard drives) on their latest models. If so, it'll probably charge an iPad, but at a slow rate. Use the included iPad wall-charger for best results.

It's intersting to hear about the iPad and the charging. Assuming that this is not intentional, one would think that they would have adequately tested the charging on both OSX and Windows (different versions) machines & via USB ports. We want an iPad at some point in the near future but are waiting to hear more about them and for 1st generation problems to be resolved. Sure is tempting to get one though!

Kathy

As I understand the way it charges is intentional. The iPad is meant to be charged from the charger or dock. It needs a high power USB port to charge the larger battery while the iPad is on. But I have read it will still charge on the low power USB ports that many Windows computers or older Macs have if the iPad is in sleep mode.

i had no problems using my ipod touch on a transatlantic a few years ago. Before we left my dh old ipod (not a touch) and my macbook crashed, so I went and bought him a touch. It was (and has been fantastic). I have ordered the 3G ipad for him and cannot wait. I think it would probably run even faster. I thought about waiting until we were onboard but it would eat up all of our internet minutes downloading the apps. When I spoke with the rep yesterday after playing with one at best buy (we do not rate an apple store here) he was telling us that it will have a built in gps as well that does not depend on wifi accessability. That too will be fun and it will be great to have the "genuises" at the genius bar to help too. Also the way I read it (and I do read things wrong) the ilounge description did not specifically include ipad, it spoke about ipod and macbooks and accessories. I do not know if the ipad fulls under the ipod realm. But I am all excited about getting dh one, his birthday is next week. shhhh, don't tell him

My DH yesterday told me I can order the Ipad if I wanted one. I was originally wanted to buy a Asus Netbook so whenever we go on vacations I can ge internet and I don't have to take my laptop on our cruise vacations. I am wondering if the ipad can get MSN or do I have to get MobleMe for the internet?

My DH yesterday told me I can order the Ipad if I wanted one. I was originally wanted to buy a Asus Netbook so whenever we go on vacations I can ge internet and I don't have to take my laptop on our cruise vacations. I am wondering if the ipad can get MSN or do I have to get MobleMe for the internet?

The iPad can do anything on the Internet that a notebook could, so don't worry. No need to buy MobileMe. MobileMe is a great service, but you don't need it for regular email service or surfing the Internet.

I had no problem with my iPhone on board Infinity last May in Alaska so iPad should work fine. I am hoping Eclipse has more extensive wifi coverage, although it was pretty good on Infinity with about 5Mb bandwidth.

The iPad can do anything on the Internet that a notebook could, so don't worry. No need to buy MobileMe. MobileMe is a great service, but you don't need it for regular email service or surfing the Internet.

Thanks Paul. :)

When I spoke with the rep yesterday after playing with one at best buy (we do not rate an apple store here) he was telling us that it will have a built in gps as well that does not depend on wifi accessability.

The 3G model does have GPS, it is part of the 3G data chip. So that will certianly be dandy where there is a 3G signal. I wonder if that kind of GPS requires the data plan. Suppose you are in Europe and don't have a data plan or in the wilds without a cell signal? I would be interested to know if it will work without a data plan or 3G signal. I fear it might not.

There is a problem that I don't like with the iPad, and that you cannot download any browser other than Safari. I use Mozilla on my Mac desktop, but when I tried to download Mozilla on the Pad, all I get is a message saying Safari cannot support.

Anyone figure this out? Or am I stuck with Safari?

There is a problem that I don't like with the iPad, and that you cannot download any browser other than Safari. I use Mozilla on my Mac desktop, but when I tried to download Mozilla on the Pad, all I get is a message saying Safari cannot support.

Anyone figure this out? Or am I stuck with Safari?

You are stuck with Safari.

You are not a techno-geek but that is okay :)

Archived