Are felons allowed to cruise?

ssatterly

My brother is a convicted felon as well because when he was 19 he dropped out of college and my parents dropped him off the car insurance.

The state suspended his driver's license for failure to carry insurance and sent the notice to the address on his driver's license (my parents' house) that he didn't get.

Three months later he got stopped for faulty equipment (the light above his license plate was out) and he got arrested for driving on a suspended license. He plead guilty.

So do you guys think that he shouldn't be allowed to cruise? or that I shouldn't hang out with him because he's a felon? That is absolutely ludicrous!

That is not a felony conviction........

That is not a felony conviction........

If its a 3rd offense for doing this in Florida...it is a Felony. BUT the OP states it was his first offense??? Somethings not adding up here. :confused:

But whatever...maybe he isnt telling her the whole story which in turn isnt going to make the OP look to good.

He was big enough to get convicted of a felon.......then he is big enough to get this info himself.......

This is the OPs step son, I think that gives them the right to get info for them.

Is this a serious question? If so, why in the world would you hang out with and pay for a felon? Family or not, I would never.

I'm sure his lawyer, the courts, the local police department or the 1-800 number would be more useful to get information from.

Way to go, throw anyone under the bus for making a mistake and then paying for that mistake. I am so thankful you are not part of my family.

Yes, only OP stated that he is still in prison now. So there will probably be some probation when he is released.

The OP also said he will have served his FULL sentence, that would indicate there will be no probation.

How stupid is that comment?? If he completed his sentence and thus his debt to society he should be free to travel unless his travel is restricted by a court order as part of his release.

Fourway, that (the one you quoted) was the most stupid, of many.

My brother is a convicted felon as well because when he was 19 he dropped out of college and my parents dropped him off the car insurance.

The state suspended his driver's license for failure to carry insurance and sent the notice to the address on his driver's license (my parents' house) that he didn't get.

Three months later he got stopped for faulty equipment (the light above his license plate was out) and he got arrested for driving on a suspended license. He plead guilty.

So do you guys think that he shouldn't be allowed to cruise? or that I shouldn't hang out with him because he's a felon? That is absolutely ludicrous!

Excellent point.

My brother in law got into a very similar scrape a few years back and had to pay the price .

He isn't a mad dog killer or a child molesting crack addict.

I should have nothing to do with a 45 year old guy who was stupid 25 years ago over a moter vehicle offense.

These holier than thou people renmind me of one of those Judeg shows one time

The case involved the familes of an engaged couple I forget what the incident was.

The brides mother, trying to compose herself before telling her story explained to the judge

"This is all the groom's families fault. His family has several members who have been arrested and gone to court, and went to jail.....NO ONE in my family has ever been arrested ...NO ONE is my family has ever gone to jail..NO ONE in my family has ever had to go to court... this is terribly unnerveing for me.

The judge looked at her and said "Thats because NO ONE in your family ever got caught" *LOL* That shut her up pretty quick :)

IMHO, he made a dumb mistake as a young man, paid the price and is probably going to be an upstanding citizen now. There's no reason why he shouldn't be able to live a normal life like anyone else. Other than Canada, he should be able to travel anywhere.

Why would your brother drive without insurance? That's so stupid. What if he got in an accident that took another persons life? What about if he drove off the road and struck someone's house or property? Without insurance, is he going to be able to pay for the damages he's caused?

He should have his licence suspended and he should be arrested if he's driving after it was. It sounds like everything that has happened is his fault.

1) not obtaining car insurance

2) not notifying the DMV of his current address

3) driving with improper equipment on his vehicle

4) driving while his licence is suspended

Hopefully he's smartened up during his time in the pokey.

Why would your brother drive without insurance? That's so stupid. What if he got in an accident that took another persons life? What about if he drove off the road and struck someone's house or property? Without insurance, is he going to be able to pay for the damages he's caused?

He should have his licence suspended and he should be arrested if he's driving after it was. It sounds like everything that has happened is his fault.

1) not obtaining car insurance

2) not notifying the DMV of his current address

3) driving with improper equipment on his vehicle

4) driving while his licence is suspended

Hopefully he's smartened up during his time in the pokey.

If you had read the post, the OP said that he NEVER got the letter and that he didnt know.. as an insurance agent for the past 13 years, i can attest that soo many people are UNAWARE they are driving without insurance.. they are not bad people.. things happen, mail gets lost, mail doesnt fwd if you move sometimes.. checks dont get in in time... its not a HUGE deal.. you dont know how many people i see on a daily basis sit accross from me.. goood UPSTANDING people, mistakes happen, were only human.. calm down

If you had read the post, the OP said that he NEVER got the letter and that he didnt know.. as an insurance agent for the past 13 years, i can attest that soo many people are UNAWARE they are driving without insurance.. they are not bad people.. things happen, mail gets lost, mail doesnt fwd if you move sometimes.. checks dont get in in time... its not a HUGE deal.. you dont know how many people i see on a daily basis sit accross from me.. goood UPSTANDING people, mistakes happen, were only human.. calm down

Please enlighten me.........those are all lame excuses.....

Please enlighten me.........those are all lame excuses.....

While you may FEEL they are lame, they happen on a weekly basis, the MAIL isnt perfect, letters get lost, or get to you too late.. your check may have inexplainably bounced, it COULD have been put on another persons policy by accident.. people tanspose numbers all the time.. DMV could have made an error,, there are a million and one reasons people's insurance lapse and sometimes due to NO fault of their own... do you call your insurance agent EVERY morning at 12:01am to see if your insurance is in effect??? Im betting you dont.. like i said ive been an insurance agent for 13 years.. ive seen everything from ex spouses hiding mail, to mail never coming, to checks being processed incorrectly. and at 19 years old do you think the young man had any idea to contact DMV to change his lisence? Dont judgem and im not trying to flame you, but since i see it happen all the time, i can attest that "things happen" and it doesnt make someone a bad person..

While you may FEEL they are lame, they happen on a weekly basis, the MAIL isnt perfect, letters get lost, or get to you too late.. your check may have inexplainably bounced, it COULD have been put on another persons policy by accident.. people tanspose numbers all the time.. DMV could have made an error,, there are a million and one reasons people's insurance lapse and sometimes due to NO fault of their own... do you call your insurance agent EVERY morning at 12:01am to see if your insurance is in effect??? Im betting you dont.. like i said ive been an insurance agent for 13 years.. ive seen everything from ex spouses hiding mail, to mail never coming, to checks being processed incorrectly. and at 19 years old do you think the young man had any idea to contact DMV to change his lisence? Dont judgem and im not trying to flame you, but since i see it happen all the time, i can attest that "things happen" and it doesnt make someone a bad person..

Officer I only had 2 drinks....really I did:rolleyes:

It is called responsibility......nothing but lame excuses.....

If our insurance lapses here we get a registered letter followed by a call from whoever the lienholder is on the vehicle.

Not only that but they send out a reminder before it is due......then there is this thing called online banking.......if you know you are sending a check late......guess what? you can go online to see if it cleared......if you are not internet savvy you can do it over the phone....imagine that:confused:

Well... you could make the argument that sharing a soda card is Petty Larceny.

lol

What's the difference if the kid is a Felon or not? Chances are ... if you met him on the street... you wouldn't know it anyway.

Tolerance people... Tolerance.

My brother is a convicted felon as well ...

FYI, unless your brother was convicted of a FELONY (which driving without insurance isn't, in most states, especially for first-time offenders), he's not a felon. He's just got a traffic conviction on his record. An expensive one, yes, but not a felony.

FYI, unless your brother was convicted of a FELONY (which driving without insurance isn't, in most states, especially for first-time offenders), he's not a felon. He's just got a traffic conviction on his record. An expensive one, yes, but not a felony.

What if he threw a fork out the window? :confused:

petty larceny n. a term used in many states for theft of a small amount of money or objects of little value (such as less than $500). It is distinguished from grand larceny which is theft of property of greater worth, which is a felony punishable by a term in state prison. Petty larceny is a misdemeanor punishable at maximum with a term in the county jail. States which only use the term "larceny," often treat theft of a smaller amounts as a misdemeanor in sentencing.

petty larceny n. a term used in many states for theft of a small amount of money or objects of little value (such as less than $500). It is distinguished from grand larceny which is theft of property of greater worth, which is a felony punishable by a term in state prison. Petty larceny is a misdemeanor punishable at maximum with a term in the county jail. States which only use the term "larceny," often treat theft of a smaller amounts as a misdemeanor in sentencing.

But when you're using a soda card, you're not in a state, you're on cruise ship in international waters. You aren't breaking a law, you're breaking a cruise ship policy.

Archived