Are felons allowed to cruise?

ssatterly

I would like to point out a few things in the case of my brother.

1. My parents dropped his insurance. Yes they told him that if dropped out of school they would cancel his insurance, but they also told him that they were going to do lots of other things that he "knew" they would never do, i.e. hang him up by his toenails, send him to live with a new family, etc. etc. etc. You know all of the things that parents tell their children to make them do what the parents want. He had no idea that my parents would really cancel his insurance.

2. His insurance wasn't cancelled because the bill wasn't paid. The insurance company didn't send a past-due notice, and then a final notice. The insurance was cancelled because my parents cancelled it.

3. The State of Florida sent a notice that his license was suspended for failing to carry insurance.

4. The address on his driver's license and insurance was CORRECT. He still lived at home with my parents. My parents always took the mail out of the mailbox, and for whatever reason Junior never got this letter. Perhaps it was because it was addressed with just his name without the Jr. and assumed it was dads. Who knows?

My point is... not everyone who has a felony conviction is a rapist or a murderer.

Sounds like Junior was irresponsible from the get go;)

Kudos to mom and dad for finally following thru on their threats.......

why do people keep repeating the same answers LOL. I think she has her answer now. Of coarse something is fishy about this story but hey thats just my .02 cents. This kid wouldnt get a felony for a first offense driving on a suspended without insurance. And how old is this kid? Why isnt he responsible for his own life (insurance, knowing if he has a license etc) When I turned 18 my parents said heres your bills...pay um!

Once someone has paid their debt to society they have paid their debt. Im pretty sure there are some people on here living in glass houses. Until you are in the position, don't judge. People make mistakes and trust me I hope if I ever do my family and friends won't just toss me aside like some of you think this person should. OP... I hope you guys have a great cruise!

Hey people arent perfect...I know I have made my mistakes. I made a lot of stupid mistakes when I was under 18 that landed me on the wrong side of the law...and now go figure im not playing on the other team. BUT I think once you become an adult thats when its time for you to step up to the plate and handle your OWN business not let your mother, step mother or wives mother (or anyone else for that matter) handle your business. Your an adult...pay your own damn insurance, keep track of your own license.

But regardless.... there is MUCH more to this story then we are getting from the OP. There is no way this guy has a felony for just driving while suspended. He was either drunk driving while suspended or he hit and injured someone...or maybe its a completely different charge entirely.

People make mistakes and trust me I hope if I ever do my family and friends won't just toss me aside like some of you think this person should.

or post about it on an internet message board...:rolleyes::eek:

Canada and the US have the same rules with respect to felons. Felons from the US can't get into Canada and felons from Canada and other countries are likewise barred from the US.

I can speak from experience on this one. On my last cruise my friend with me, his was in prison for a felony. I called about his passport, and asked if a felon could get one. I was told he could as long as he wasn't on parole or anything he could. Carnival has no rules about this, they don't do background checks on their passengers. As long as your step-son can get a passport he should be fine. I hope this helps.

Just to clarify something, a felon can travel into Canada with proper paper work. If the conviction is under 5 years they have to fill out a rehabilitation form, send it in, have it reviewed and unless something awful (murder, rape, etc) it is granted and they can enter (it is good for so many months). If the conviction is over 10 years they get a permanent rehabilitation and it is good for ever. Both apply if there have been no convictions since. While a DUI (1st time) is not a felony in the US, it is in Canada and the laws allowing you in are determined by Canadian law. So while you may have a DUI (not felony) in the US, it is a felony in Canada and without the paper work they do not have to let you in. One of our former Presidents had to have a rehabilitation letter to travel to Canada (while President) because of a DUI. So they statement that a convicted felon can not enter Canada isn't entirely true.

So I'm wondering about this Canada thing. Some of you say Carnival doesn't check backgrounds but doesn't immigration do that when you go to board the ship? I'm just wondering. I know someone that was convicted 25 years ago & served less than 6 months time. Has a passport and has cruised since released. But I didn't think this person could take an Alaskan cruise cuz of the felony charge. If this person was to board the ship in Seattle for the Alaskan cruise and never even got off the ship in Canada, could Carnival turn them away when they try to board and therefore lose the money paid for the cruise? How would Canada know there is a person that has a very old conviction onboard the ship when they have a passport? Just wondering if anyone knows.

Personally I don't think they would know if a felon got on and off the ship in Canada. Having sailed twice (recently with a convicted felon, non-violent crime, and within 6 months of getting out of state jail) we had no problem what so ever. Yes, the felon is my daughter, is doing extremely well, and would never think of turning my back on her. Even her dad (37 years veteran of a very large city police department) didn't turn his back on her:eek: amazing how one can still love a FELON

Personally I don't think they would know if a felon got on and off the ship in Canada. Having sailed twice (recently with a convicted felon, non-violent crime, and within 6 months of getting out of state jail) we had no problem what so ever. Yes, the felon is my daughter, is doing extremely well, and would never think of turning my back on her. Even her dad (37 years veteran of a very large city police department) didn't turn his back on her:eek: amazing how one can still love a FELON. And yes to those who are appalled at the idea, we paid for her cruise and even sat by her - for two reasons 1) because we could, and 2) because we love her.

Is this a serious question? If so, why in the world would you hang out with and pay for a felon? Family or not, I would never.

I'm sure his lawyer, the courts, the local police department or the 1-800 number would be more useful to get information from.

My son has a felony for drug related things, should I just through him to the curb. By the way he has been clean and sober for over 5 years now, he has a job that pays over 50,000 per year pays his taxes, he has never missed or failed a drug test goes to NA meetings twice a week, the worst thing that has happened to him since his legal troubles was a car accident, by the way he has insurance for his car.

The fact is some people change, I guess the reason I would hang out with my adult son is because I love him and he is the father of my granddaughter.

One last thing, I would bet there is more one person on this board who has a felony record.

I see no reason a person with a criminal record would have any problems going on a cruise, subject to the following:

• They are not on parole and/or have authorization to go from the parole officer
  • They are not visiting a country that prohibits felons (like Canada) or do not plan to get off the ship in ports of call

Other than that, I can't think of any reasons. Would you want to prohibit felons from riding in a bus or on an airline? Would you prohibit them from riding a train to work? No, you would not.

Once someone has paid their debt, they are free and clear, in my view. They may not vote or own weapons, but they have most other civil rights, including traveling.

P.S. Canada prohibits people with misdemeanors, too... anything above a traffic ticket. A DUI is a felony in Canada and they don't let people in with DUIs... unless you happen to be an ex-President or a rock star!

Ok Ok.. Here is a question that maybe someone could answer. My step son now would like to come with us...BUT there is a few questions I won't book him untill I know the answers for sure....Ok right now he is in prison he gets out Aug. 18th...He is a felon..Can felon's go on cruises? Also how much would it cost to add him to our blacony cabin. I won't add him untill I know for sure if he can go and i won't add him untill he has offically set foot out of prison...I don't want to spend the money till I know for sure he would be allowed togo..

Thanks

This is just bizarre. I sure wouldn't want to travel with known felons.

I see no reason a person with a criminal record would have any problems going on a cruise, subject to the following:

• They are not on parole and/or have authorization to go from the parole officer
  • They are not visiting a country that prohibits felons (like Canada) or do not plan to get off the ship in ports of call

Other than that, I can't think of any reasons. Would you want to prohibit felons from riding in a bus or on an airline? Would you prohibit them from riding a train to work? No, you would not.

Once someone has paid their debt, they are free and clear, in my view. They may not vote or own weapons, but they have most other civil rights, including traveling.

P.S. Canada prohibits people with misdemeanors, too... anything above a traffic ticket. A DUI is a felony in Canada and they don't let people in with DUIs... unless you happen to be an ex-President or a rock star!

I love Canada. Wish the US was the same way.

This is just bizarre. I sure wouldn't want to travel with known felons.

How about unknown felons? :p

Get real...their is probably one living in your neighborhood.

You have probably cruised with one before and had no clue..:eek:

My brother is a convicted felon as well because when he was 19 he dropped out of college and my parents dropped him off the car insurance.

The state suspended his driver's license for failure to carry insurance and sent the notice to the address on his driver's license (my parents' house) that he didn't get.

Three months later he got stopped for faulty equipment (the light above his license plate was out) and he got arrested for driving on a suspended license. He plead guilty.

So do you guys think that he shouldn't be allowed to cruise? or that I shouldn't hang out with him because he's a felon? That is absolutely ludicrous!

Wouldn't that be a mis-demeanor? Doesn't sound like they'd label him a felon surely.

The US laws are almost as tough on people entering the US. I know the majority of people on this board are Americans and therefore the emphasis naturally will tend to reflect what happens to Americans but you should know

that if you are a felon in Canada, you aren't getting into the US either.

The US laws are almost as tough on people entering the US. I know the majority of people on this board are Americans and therefore the emphasis naturally will tend to reflect what happens to Americans but you should know

that if you are a felon in Canada, you aren't getting into the US either.

Yep - that's one reason Canada does not make exceptions for Americans... we don't make exceptions for Canadians.

Any crime in the last five years - you are not getting in. After that, it is up to the discretion of those at the border.

Cruise ship passengers will be caught if they choose to run the mainfest throught the NCIC database, and that does sometimes occur.

Having had first hand experience with someone (adult child) who was making stupid decisions I'll say this; there is no way I would ever stop loving my child. Ever. However, there does come a time after they turn 21 when you just have to let go if they are continuing to make bad decisions. Maybe the policeman on here can correct me, but it IS possible to get a felony arrest the first time one is arrested? The point is, the person getting that arrest wasn't an upstanding person working a full time job, paying taxes, loving and nurturing their spouse and kids, and just woke up one day and said, "Gee, my life is so freaking great, think I'll go commit a felony today just to see what that's all about." No, people who have felonies usually aren't on a path that leads to success.

Circling me back, for my own sanity, I had to just tell the child who was making these stupid decisions that I was going to let her go live her life, do as she chose (she was going to do that anyway) and then just let go and let God. This after 3 years of trying to make her "see the light" (AKA, banging my head against the wall). I love this child beyond words, but I also know that at some point, I had to let go or lose my mind trying to effect a change in someone who doesn't see that she has any issues at all.

To that end, someone noted here that their child had made some stupid decisions also, but apparently, jail scared them straight and they have made a life for themselves. While I would accept that child back with open arms, I know that it would be conditional until I knew they could be trusted again. I would not take a child who was just out of jail on a cruise. No way. Another thing I have learned from first hand experience of a direct family member currently serving time, people in jail will say anything and do anything to "assure" everyone they have "changed". Being locked up does that to a person. For me, the proof is in the pudding if that person can walk the walk when they get out, as this woman's son did who turned his life around after the conviction.

Archived