Are felons allowed to cruise?

ssatterly

I would also check the countries you are visiting..I know some countries will not allow you entrance if you have a felony conviction..Canada is pretty strict on this there are a few other countries but I am not sure of which ones

Canada and the US have the same rules with respect to felons. Felons from the US can't get into Canada and felons from Canada and other countries are likewise barred from the US.

My brother is a convicted felon as well because when he was 19 he dropped out of college and my parents dropped him off the car insurance.

The state suspended his driver's license for failure to carry insurance and sent the notice to the address on his driver's license (my parents' house) that he didn't get.

Three months later he got stopped for faulty equipment (the light above his license plate was out) and he got arrested for driving on a suspended license. He plead guilty.

So do you guys think that he shouldn't be allowed to cruise? or that I shouldn't hang out with him because he's a felon? That is absolutely ludicrous!

I'd have the man talk to his pre-release counselor at the correctional unit or prison that he is in or with his attorney before you book a cruise for him. Prisons also have law libraries and he could research this there too. Have him check if it is allowable for him after his release. He may still be on probation depending on state law even though he served his full sentence.

your first place to start is his probabtion officer. i believe felon's can NOT travel. it's the unfortunate terminology "felony" that can stop travel. first off, they can not get a passport. but even though the cruise can be closed loop, their may be issue's with customs. so again, first stop is the legal end.. his probabtion then the courts. then find out what carnival's policy is. if he is just someone whos done jail time, then he can travel. again, its the terminology of his crime.

Felons can have passports and travel as I have a friend that was in prison in CA and is a felon with a passport. They have traveled to mexico without any problems but was turned away at the boarder for Canada. So it will depend on the country. As the person posted they are done with thier sentence so they are a felon but do not owe any time. Travel away, just be aware of the laws of where you are going. :D

My brother is a convicted felon as well because when he was 19 he dropped out of college and my parents dropped him off the car insurance.

The state suspended his driver's license for failure to carry insurance and sent the notice to the address on his driver's license (my parents' house) that he didn't get.

Three months later he got stopped for faulty equipment (the light above his license plate was out) and he got arrested for driving on a suspended license. He plead guilty.

So do you guys think that he shouldn't be allowed to cruise? or that I shouldn't hang out with him because he's a felon? That is absolutely ludicrous!

What state is this in?? I know in NJ and Illinois, florida ect.. driving while on suspension is a misdemeanor..unless aggravating circumstances such as drunk driving or hit and run ect or multiple offenses..

A misdemeanor is different from a felony...Not being a wise guy just curious as to what state would impose such a harsh sentence as to call DWLS a felony??

What state is this in?? I know in NJ and Illinois, florida ect.. driving while on suspension is a misdemeanor..unless aggravating circumstances such as drunk driving or hit and run ect or multiple offenses..

A misdemeanor is different from a felony...Not being a wise guy just curious as to what state would impose such a harsh sentence as to call DWLS a felony??

He was in Florida. It was a third degree felony because (1) the length of time that his license had been suspended and (2) he didn't have insurance. He was entered into a pre-trial diversion program for first time offenders where he was required to successfully complete a year of probation and then his record was expunged.

Ok Ok.. Here is a question that maybe someone could answer. My step son now would like to come with us...BUT there is a few questions I won't book him untill I know the answers for sure....Ok right now he is in prison he gets out Aug. 18th...He is a felon..Can felon's go on cruises? Also how much would it cost to add him to our blacony cabin. I won't add him untill I know for sure if he can go and i won't add him untill he has offically set foot out of prison...I don't want to spend the money till I know for sure he would be allowed togo..

Thanks

My guess is that this is a question to be answered IN WRITING by ICE, Homeland Security and/or the authorities in charge of his imprisonment.

Hmmm. Well I work in AZ and I have never heard of a punishment that stiff for driving without a license UNLESS he was DUI/DWI while driving without a license and insurance. Hopefully he has grown up now though and has learned to take care of his OWN issues such as making sure he has insurance and a license and making sure he can travel :D

Ok Ok.. Here is a question that maybe someone could answer. My step son now would like to come with us...BUT there is a few questions I won't book him untill I know the answers for sure....Ok right now he is in prison he gets out Aug. 18th...He is a felon..Can felon's go on cruises? Also how much would it cost to add him to our blacony cabin. I won't add him untill I know for sure if he can go and i won't add him untill he has offically set foot out of prison...I don't want to spend the money till I know for sure he would be allowed togo..

Thanks

Being a Felon does not disqualify him from going on a cruise. But if he gets out and is on Probation, it will definatly depend on the terms of his probation. He would (I assume) have to clear it with his probation officer...and newly out of Prison, my bet is leaving the country will not be an option. I do personally know a few people who have (old) Felony Convictions, (who are long since out of jail/prison and long since finished with probation, restutaion, etc...Im talking about white collar crimes) who have cruised.

So, my (longwinded) point is..Yes, a Felon CAN cruise, (and get a passport), but depending on his crime and the degree of the felony, it may depend on how long till he can cruise...

I can speak from experience on this one. On my last cruise my friend with me, his was in prison for a felony. I called about his passport, and asked if a felon could get one. I was told he could as long as he wasn't on parole or anything he could. Carnival has no rules about this, they don't do background checks on their passengers. As long as your step-son can get a passport he should be fine. I hope this helps.

your first place to start is his probabtion officer. i believe felon's can NOT travel. it's the unfortunate terminology "felony" that can stop travel. first off, they can not get a passport. but even though the cruise can be closed loop, their may be issue's with customs. so again, first stop is the legal end.. his probabtion then the courts. then find out what carnival's policy is. if he is just someone whos done jail time, then he can travel. again, its the terminology of his crime.

I know of 2 of my friends that have gotton passports and gone on the same cruises as us...-this has been within the last year..

(but like I mentioned in my last post) , these were white collar crimes and both people have been off probation for Years--dont know if the degree of felony or how old it is makes a difference. I do know one of my friends (who I knew while she was finishing up her last years of probation) was only allowed to travel if she notifed adn got approval from her Pabation Officer. (but that was not out of the country)

But, since then she has cruised.

I can speak from experience on this one. On my last cruise my friend with me, his was in prison for a felony. I called about his passport, and asked if a felon could get one. I was told he could as long as he wasn't on parole or anything he could. Carnival has no rules about this, they don't do background checks on their passengers. As long as your step-son can get a passport he should be fine. I hope this helps.

Yes, only OP stated that he is still in prison now. So there will probably be some probation when he is released.

She should talk to his lawer.

Our answer of Yes, he Can cruise, many of us know people who have, but she will need to find out about his individule situation.

Just my suggestion.

geez...did a quick search and found the same question asked on "Yahoo answers"...the internet is a magical place.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080216184318AAZIx5q

:rolleyes:

The internet is an amazing tool....isn't it.....;)

I would imagine calling Carnival is an amazing way to find this out too....:cool:

Hopefully he has grown up now though and has learned to take care of his OWN issues such as making sure he has insurance and a license and making sure he can travel :D

He has. He is now 25, with a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, and is an investigator for the state's attorney's office in Florida. He and his wife and their two children cruise twice a year.

Have some respect for the other passengers on the ship and leave him at home.

How stupid is that comment?? If he completed his sentence and thus his debt to society he should be free to travel unless his travel is restricted by a court order as part of his release.

Archived