Are felons allowed to cruise?

ssatterly

If a Felon served his/her time and are free, why can't they cruise? Unless their probation or parole forbids leaving the area or they are on some kind of watch list, they can do what they want in most things. If someone commits burglary as a young man and serves for a felony, does that mean he can never have a life?

No, I am not a felon BTW.

Probably because if he has been in prison for a year he may not have the financial resources to pay for himself. Folks pay for family members to cruise all the time, not a big who pays for it.

Actually according to the op he is in prison as we speak:D

My brother is a convicted felon as well because when he was 19 he dropped out of college and my parents dropped him off the car insurance.

The state suspended his driver's license for failure to carry insurance and sent the notice to the address on his driver's license (my parents' house) that he didn't get.

Three months later he got stopped for faulty equipment (the light above his license plate was out) and he got arrested for driving on a suspended license. He plead guilty.

So do you guys think that he shouldn't be allowed to cruise? or that I shouldn't hang out with him because he's a felon? That is absolutely ludicrous!

I think he must have done things to really piss your parents off...that's why they stopped paying for him

I would also check the countries you are visiting..I know some countries will not allow you entrance if you have a felony conviction..Canada is pretty strict on this there are a few other countries but I am not sure of which ones

This was going to be my answer. First check and see if he can leave the County then check the countries you are going to, to see if he can enter those countries.

I think he must have done things to really piss your parents off...that's why they stopped paying for him

Sometimes is a thing called tough love.

At some point you have to say, you are on your own and have to deal with the results of your choices.

Of course there are the type of parents that keep patting Johny on his po-po and tell him he will get a time out. Some times a time out in not enough

My brother is a convicted felon as well because when he was 19 he dropped out of college and my parents dropped him off the car insurance.

The state suspended his driver's license for failure to carry insurance and sent the notice to the address on his driver's license (my parents' house) that he didn't get.

Three months later he got stopped for faulty equipment (the light above his license plate was out) and he got arrested for driving on a suspended license. He plead guilty.

So do you guys think that he shouldn't be allowed to cruise? or that I shouldn't hang out with him because he's a felon? That is absolutely ludicrous!

Ummmmm that's not a Felony!!

You just never know who is going to be on a ship....so why do some parents leave their young kids unattended?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I know not all felons will get out of prison and become recidivists, but a certain percent do. So, if there is 1 or more felons on every cruise, why take the chance?

If its a 3rd offense for doing this in Florida...it is a Felony. BUT the OP states it was his first offense??? Somethings not adding up here. :confused:

But whatever...maybe he isnt telling her the whole story which in turn isnt going to make the OP look to good.

notice she said he is now an investigatior for the atty office...I'm pretty sure that if you are a convicted felon you would not be able to hold that position. I've been in law enforcement for 8 years now and I've never heard of that.

With comments like these, you are only proving my point. Some felons were convicted of extremely stupid things that should never have been felony charges to begin with.

To blindly and blanketly say that felons should be ignored by family and friends and society as a whole is total BS!

I am shocked by one of the remarks by a poster (why would you take a felon). Are you kidding me - a felony can be anything from a check over a certain amount to a murder. You don't know what this person did. I believe he's in jail, so obviously he got caught and maybe learned something from it. There is in fact a professor in a college in this country who is a convicted Felon, seen the news. People are awfully judgemental. I sometimes wonder if it were their child might they be a little more willing to give another chance:eek: Many people in this country who went on to be very successful are actually "convicted felons". I think the reason people get stuck on the word "FELON" so much is the news always says "Convicted Felon" without stating the range of crimes that fall under what might have somebody convicted has a FELON.

I was reading this thread and you've put it exactly how'd I'd say it. The OP only wants to know and I hope he finds his answers but won't find it on here. Heck, these days, practically anyone can be a felon, all it takes is a small mistake. Look at radio personality G Gordon Liddy. He's a felon. Great guy, too.

I wish the OP well, and hope that his son in law gets to cruise.

[/color]

notice she said he is now an investigatior for the atty office...I'm pretty sure that if you are a convicted felon you would not be able to hold that position. I've been in law enforcement for 8 years now and I've never heard of that.

I also said that he was entered into a pre-trial diversion program and after completing a year of probation (no jail time) that his record was expunged.

I also said that he was entered into a pre-trial diversion program and after completing a year of probation (no jail time) that his record was expunged.

Did you explain somewhere how a first offense for driving with a suspended license became a felony??

My understanding is it was because of the length of time that his license had been suspended. Less than 3 months is one charge, 3-6 months another, 6 months to a year, still another. Same thing with failing to carry insurance.

What I have explained, repeatedly, is that not all felons are rapists and murderers. Some people are convicted of felonies that most people would think were not felonies at all.

I apologize...I must have missed that. I still don't see how this was a felony charge though.

My understanding is it was because of the length of time that his license had been suspended. Less than 3 months is one charge, 3-6 months another, 6 months to a year, still another. Same thing with failing to carry insurance.

What I have explained, repeatedly, is that not all felons are rapists and murderers. Some people are convicted of felonies that most people would think were not felonies at all.

This would be fairly typical of most states:

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), any person whose driver's license or driving privilege has been canceled, suspended, or revoked, except a "habitual traffic offender" as defined in s. 322.264, who drives a vehicle upon the highways of this state while such license or privilege is canceled, suspended, or revoked is guilty of a moving violation, punishable as provided in chapter 318.

(2) Any person whose driver's license or driving privilege has been canceled, suspended, or revoked as provided by law, except persons defined in s. 322.264, who, knowing of such cancellation, suspension, or revocation, drives any motor vehicle upon the highways of this state while such license or privilege is canceled, suspended, or revoked, upon:

(a) A first conviction is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(b) A second conviction is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

© A third or subsequent conviction is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

The element of knowledge is satisfied if the person has been previously cited as provided in subsection (1); or the person admits to knowledge of the cancellation, suspension, or revocation; or the person received notice as provided in subsection (4). There shall be a rebuttable presumption that the knowledge requirement is satisfied if a judgment or order as provided in subsection (4) appears in the department's records for any case except for one involving a suspension by the department for failure to pay a traffic fine or for a financial responsibility violation.

Sounds like there is a "The rest of the story!"

The OP asked one question, someone else stated their case of a individual being arrested for not having valid insurance.

These two examples are getting mixed up and people are not answering the OP. Yes, I have read ALL 10 pages of this nonsense without seeing the OP get the answer she needed:eek::eek::eek:.

Archived