A Couple of Questions on the Star Princess.....

luvs2travl

We will be taking our first trans-Atlantic crossing on April 24th and it will be on the Star Princess. Tho' we have sailed on several Princess ships previously, this will be our first time on the Star.

Does anyone have any information on the library on board? We will have quite a few sea days and DH and I love to relax on our balcony and read. We would like to avoid packing extra books (weight constraints) if there is a good library on board.

Also - is there any information on upgrades to the TV's in the cabins since the Star's drydock in Oct of 2008? We had heard that flat-screens were installed in the cabins during that time. We are in a mini and were wondering if DVD players are available in mini suites or just in full suites.....

Is there an indoor movie theater or is MUTS the only movie venue available?

Thanks in advance for your answers! Smooth Sailing to all!! :D

I can answer your question about the library on the Star -- it, unfortunately, is really pitiful. Very small room with very few books. I'm afraid that if you really enjoy reading while you cruise, you are definitely going to have to bring your own books, a Kindle or an IPad.

As far as TVs, we were in a mini and had a flat screen. I'm not sure about the DVD player as we had no interest in one.

And, sorry, but I really don't know if there are movies offered inside the ship. Of course, you can always watch them on your flat screen TV if you want.

Enjoy your trip. Even if it doesn't offer everything you might want, it is still a fine ship and is in good condition.

We will be taking our first trans-Atlantic crossing on April 24th and it will be on the Star Princess. Tho' we have sailed on several Princess ships previously, this will be our first time on the Star.

Does anyone have any information on the library on board? We will have quite a few sea days and DH and I love to relax on our balcony and read. We would like to avoid packing extra books (weight constraints) if there is a good library on board.

Also - is there any information on upgrades to the TV's in the cabins since the Star's drydock in Oct of 2008? We had heard that flat-screens were installed in the cabins during that time. We are in a mini and were wondering if DVD players are available in mini suites or just in full suites.....

Is there an indoor movie theater or is MUTS the only movie venue available?

Thanks in advance for your answers! Smooth Sailing to all!! :D

Library is really small in comparison with other ships, and selection was fairly limited - it is along one wall of the internet cafe, so even browsing is difficult. We did, however, manage to find some books to read on our 16 day cruise.

I was in a BA cabin, and didn't see any DVD players. The TV was a small flat screen.

Movies are played on MUTS at night, and occasionally in the Vista Lounge or Princess Theater during the day. It really depends on what else is going on.

On a transatlantic (TA) cruise you will be able to watch movies on MUTS, in either the Vista Lounge or Princess Theater, or on your stateroom tv. Even though the library is small, you may be lucky and find some good books to read. Or you can bring paperbacks with you that you would leave in the book exchange section. I've almost always found something to read through the exchange on a TA cruise. As for a dvd player, only the suites have them.

Thanks so much for all your answers. We were hoping for a better library on board, but guess we will have to schlepp some paperbacks along with us. Perhaps we will get lucky & find some good trade-offs at the paperback exchange. Normally, it would not be too great a concern, but we have quite a few sea days on this cruise.

Good to know that we can watch 'MUTS' showings in our cabin or in the Princess Theater or Vista Lounge. Sounds like some good alternatives if we don't choose to sit out on deck. DH has some difficulty hearing, and a more private venue might be better for him.

How did you recent Star passengers like "Vines"? We enjoy wines and wine tastings and are anxious to experience "Vines".

I thank you all so very much. Love these boards and all the posters that can answer so many questions, thus making our travels so much more enjoyable! :D

Smooth Sailing to you always!

Good to know that we can watch 'MUTS' showings in our cabin or in the Princess Theater or Vista Lounge. Sounds like some good alternatives if we don't choose to sit out on deck.

Although there are movies at all those places, they are not the same movies shown at the same time.

Having been on the Star in January 2009 when she sailed to South America... I was very lucky to have experienced excellent weather throughout. Having said that, I recalled that MUTS was never open. I wonder why that was the case?

I was on the Star for 60 days last fall. On many nights it was on the cool side and there were less than a dozen people watching MUTS at night. You may find it the same on a TA crossing. I did not use Vines and did not notice a lot of others using it but never heard any complaints about it. There was a wine testing for each cruise segment that was free for elite members or $8 for others. This included 6 wines and you get to keep the desert wine glass. As others have noted, since the last remodeling the library is small. The movies are not available every afternoon in the show lounges - all depends what else is happening but they will be listed in the daily activities. On sea days you will likley have some very good lectures in the main theatre in the mornings.

Wayne S

Re the books and weight issue, here's what I did before my 15-day cruise. I read a lot and I read very fast, so for that long a cruise, I needed at least 15 books, depending on length: one Elizabeth George equals two Stuart Woods (those of you know them will get it). Anyway, that would have meant for a very heavy suitcase, not to mention the room they'd take up. So I boxed 'em up and sent them via Express Mail or Flat Rate Box or whatever the Post Office calls it, to my hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. Didn't cost very much (certainly less than checking a second bag!) and I figured I could just leave the box with a luggage tag on it with the porters along with my suitcase, although because of some last minute Nordstrom shopping in Palm Beach, I ended up buying a cheap tote bag to include my new purchases and I just stuck the books in there. I left almost all of them behind in the ship's exchange so I didn't have to bring them home. It worked perfectly.

Archived