Puerto Montt excursions

digitl

We spent the day with GV Tours. We found the name on CC and were most pleased with our adventure. They are very popular since they are the most frequently mentioned name for Puerto Montt on these boards. They do bus tours on cruise days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can somebody clarify the following:

Following the advise given above I tried tofind the site of GV tours, but I get onto a site with similar name stating following:

This website is not the brainchild of GV Tours of Puerto Montt Chile, but of those who were fortunate enough to find Gail and Veronica Stein while visiting Puerto Montt during their South American Cruise.

unquote

It seems that 2 companies are fighting each other over there!!!:confused:

Not two companies, I think someone was helping them set up a website and they are having some problems with it Try emailing them at:

gvstein@surnet.cl

I heard back from them right away!

That's right. They are the same company. The man (John) who did the website is a client who set up the website for them and sometimes acts as a go-between for them when the internet in Chile is being un-cooperative. GV stands for Gail and Veronica.

We toured with them in 2009 and had a wonderful day in spite of the rain.

Thanks for the suggestions: I've booked GV Tours who have been very helpful.

I just received email from GV Tours and they offered an eight hour tour. I've replied, asking for a shorter one, as we are in Puerto Montt for only nine hours, and we tender there, I believe.

digitl,

did you book an eight hour tour with them? Gail did say in the email something about "getting you back to the ship on time" so I'm sure that would be their goal. I was just thinking that five or six hours might be plenty of time for that port, and then there might not be the urgency about getting onto the first tender in the morning.

Can anyone tell me how long the tender ride is at Puerto Montt?

I was quoted $95, including admissions and lunch. I have emailed back to ask if that is per person (not unreasonable) or for the two of us.

It's per person and, yes, we're on an eight hour tour, though I would want to ensure that we're back a little earlier. GV Tours appear to be very flexible in terms of tweaking what the client wants and instruct their guides to be back at the port no later than one hour before the last tender leaves.

Can somebody clarify the following:

Following the advise given above I tried tofind the site of GV tours, but I get onto a site with similar name stating following:

This website is not the brainchild of GV Tours of Puerto Montt Chile, but of those who were fortunate enough to find Gail and Veronica Stein while visiting Puerto Montt during their South American Cruise.

unquote

It seems that 2 companies are fighting each other over there!!!:confused:

I believe they are the same...Gail's daughter is in the process of updating the web site.

I have sent them 2 e-mails in the last week from 2 differnt e-mail addresses in case that was the issue. How long does it usually take for them to get back to you?

:confused::confused::rolleyes:

I have sent them 2 e-mails in the last week from 2 differnt e-mail addresses in case that was the issue. How long does it usually take for them to get back to you?

:confused::confused::rolleyes:

I would check to be sure that you don't have a typo in the email address you used, because Gail replied to me the same day that I sent my first email.

The address should be gvstein@surnet.cl

I will give it one more try. It may be they do not want to deal with a small group of 3. I copied it from your post above.. thanks!

They've dealt with a small group of two here! All communication has been good.

Check their website for the email addresses (they have an alternative that goes to the US).

thanks but I have given up on them already!

Try Patagonia Shorex. They did 2 tours for members of my CC roll call. I was part of a group of 10 that had a great time on the Petrohue Falls and Chilean Lake District tour. We also had a RC group that did the Mount Osorno zipline adventure. http://www.patagoniashorex.com/pmc_main.html is the link to the Patagonia Shorex web page for their Puerto Montt excursions.

The tour lasted all day and we returned to the port with a comfortable margin of time. The cost for our group of 10 was $75pp plus lunch and tip. I did not organize this trip for our group but the member who did seemed to have only positive things to say about them.

Yet another group from our RC booked through GV and also had a great time. The GV tour was more expensive but the cost included lunch.

Can anyone tell me how long the tender ride is at Puerto Montt?

I don't remember the tender ride as being extraordinarly long - maybe 15 minutes - but I can see where it could get a little complicated. The Infinity was in port the same day as we were and the Chilean officials were controlling the number of tenders allowed on the pier at one time. Our tenders alternated with the Infinity's in dropping off passengers. After we disembarked, we had to line up and place our hand luggage on the ground beside us so that dogs could check for any agricultural products. It all went smoothly for us but I can see how it could get backed up.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've just had an email from GV Tours' to say that their website is up and running again. It seems to have had something of a make-over.

I sent a message via their website recently, perhaps 10 days ago, and heard nothing back. About 3 days ago I e-mailed directly using the e-mail address above, and still have heard nothing. If it were not for the recommendations here on CC I would abandon the pursuit of this company, however I suppose I shall wait patiently for a response before seeking another tour operator.

We had a very nice tour with Veronica of GVTours on Nov 24th with a Veendam roll call (12 persons).

She waited outside the port and we toured to Lago Llanquihue, Frutillar, Puerto Varas, had a lunch stop and further on to Petrohue Rapids and Lago todos los Santos.

We returned with plenty of time to the ship.

Archived