Flying is getting worse know you have to pay for carry on bags

[quote name='SherriZ366']I know Spirit Airlines is instituting this (it is $30 if you do it on line) but are any other airlines following?[/quote]

No one else is doing this YET but you better believe they are paying attention to see how it goes for Spirit!

We booked a flight for November, Houston to Ottawa with United. We have to pay an additional $25 per bag, our "free" baggage allowance is 0.

Having said that, even with the extra charge, their prices were still lower than everyone elses!

This is getting totally stupid...it's not like you're taking a 3 hour flight to the dentist....when you fly, you need LUGGAGE!

The solution is NOT TO FLY....do NOT spend money with these money-grubbing airlines!

If folks stop using their "service"...prices will drop, and they'll adjust their pricing.

We're still a "supply and demand" economy...STOP spending money with those who overcharge us! Simple!

This is getting totally stupid...it's not like you're taking a 3 hour flight to the dentist....when you fly, you need LUGGAGE!

The solution is NOT TO FLY....do NOT spend money with these money-grubbing airlines!

If folks stop using their "service"...prices will drop, and they'll adjust their pricing.

We're still a "supply and demand" economy...STOP spending money with those who overcharge us! Simple!

Do you really think that I would choose to drive 2500 miles cross-country by myself twice a year- and back - to visit my family? And pay for gas, tires, motels, food, extra insurance for overmileage, and the wear and tear on my car? It's far cheaper - and easier - for me to fly. If "folks" stop using their services, they'll go out of business, so there would be no prices to drop! Yes, I pay to fly, but I know the rules in advance. I'm not crazy about some of them, but it's my choice. What about people flying to a foreign country? Sorry, but your post just doesn't make much sense.

After a mechanical "incident" aboard a smaller air carrier a couple of years back, and the absurdity of our security policies, we rent cars and drive whenever even remotely practical.

It does take longer, the cost is usually about a wash or less (for two), but you don't have to deal with the entire air travel act, and I actually look forward to the road trips.

It's kind of a shame, because I really have a fondness for aviation and aircraft personally, but at 6'4" air travel is not getting any more comfortable. They are going to have to choke the economic vitality out of themselves completely before things get any better, sadly.

I heard their spokesperson on TV explaining that this will SAVE the customer money: People who don't need to bring a carry on (or check luggage) will not have to pay extra! Thus, everyone saves!

I miss the logic myself. It seems to me that the ONLY person who wouldn't pay MORE is the person who flies out in the morning and returns in the evening . . . and he's paying the SAME ticket price he pays now -- not less!

If this spokesperson-dude wants to quit the airline business, he has a great future in politics. He's got the double-speak /say something bad and make it sound good down pat.

Add a couple things to that:

Businesses are all looking for ways to slash overhead.

Our ability to tele-communicate is growing.

I don't think airlines are going to lose the leisure travelers -- now -- but I'm amazed that businesses are still traveling at the rate they are now. And if they lose business travelers, a few airlines will go out of business and the cost of flying will increase for leisure travelers.

This is sort of like wanting a cruise line to build in the alcohol so you don't have to pay for it.....If you drink more than I do, you're making out and I'm losing money:eek: I've flown Spirit. It's a decent product for what you pay. That's the key...knowing what you're paying for and expecting it;) As a previous poster said...even with the charges, they were still less than Airtran or SW:D So, I'll use them if it works to my advantage and keep my money in my pockets thank you very much:)

We are fortunate to be near Savannah so we can drive to all Florida ports for cruises. We do want to do a few Europeon and possibly Mexican Riviera cruises but at this stage, we are enjoying the choices from FL. The last cruiuse I flew to was Alaska.

We moved from the Md. DC suburbs so we were not that far from you.

An interesting thing I read (somewhere on this forum) was that the $30-45 carry-on fee would not be subjected to Federal taxes, where it would be if these fees were incorporated into the price of the ticket. So - you can get a price of (let's say) $65 each way for a r/t ticket, plus taxes. If the $45 for a carry-on is added into that price, it would be subject to taxes, which would raise the price more than if you paid the $65 plus taxes and the carry-on fee separately. I don't know if I've explained this very clearly.

Supposedly, there is only a charge for carry-ons that go into the overhead compartments - if you can put it under the seat in front of you, there is no charge. Fortunately, I have short legs and don't need the space.

Don't remember where I read it but the link below also talks about Ryanair Charging for air.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=142855090001

Mike and Trish

Are you serious?! Tell me that article isn't real! :eek: I almost don't believe it, but they have done so many rediculous things, that I can sort of believe it! Any chance you have heard about Ryanair proposing making spots on their planes for STANDING?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1197799/Ryanair-make-passengers-stand-bid-cram-board.html

Do you really think that I would choose to drive 2500 miles cross-country by myself twice a year- and back - to visit my family? And pay for gas, tires, motels, food, extra insurance for overmileage, and the wear and tear on my car? It's far cheaper - and easier - for me to fly. If "folks" stop using their services, they'll go out of business, so there would be no prices to drop! Yes, I pay to fly, but I know the rules in advance. I'm not crazy about some of them, but it's my choice. What about people flying to a foreign country? Sorry, but your post just doesn't make much sense.

It makes sense if you are one of the many that are short trippers, of less than 1000 miles. I know people that will only fly if the trip is more than 3 hours, and sometimes the flight is just as long! As far as the wear and tear on your car, isn't a car meant to use?

It makes sense if you are one of the many that are short trippers, of less than 1000 miles. I know people that will only fly if the trip is more than 3 hours, and sometimes the flight is just as long! As far as the wear and tear on your car, isn't a car meant to use?

A "short trip" is less than 1000 miles? Not in my book. I've been flying since the 60's. You? How many flights have you taken? Yes, I drive my car almost daily, but choose not to rack up 10,000 + miles plus gas, motel, food, expenses every year when I can fly instead for a lot cheaper. And, my car retains most of its value, because of low mileage, and I spend very little on upkeep and maintenance , because my car doesn't need it. I also get an insurance discount. My 2005 Accord has 49,000 miles, and was pre-owned. What's the mileage on your car?

Archived