Our guaranteed OV cabins are assigned

Jo2310

Finally saw our cabins assigned on the Monarch July 26th 4-night cruise. There are 4 of us travelling (2 sons 15 & 18). We've received OV on deck 8 and OC on deck 2!!! It's funny the rooms are identical in location but 6 decks apart lol...I knew well in advance that we might end up on different decks but you always wish that you will be closer. We lucked out on this cruise as we only paid $299!! and the boys get their own cabin at that!! Prices went up right after I booked and never came down again. Yes, I realize the 8th deck view is obstructed and the 2nd deck is way down there but we're happy and will make the most of our first cruise! hopefully we will love it! The TA assures me I will have no problems putting the boys together in one room - when he booked he had to put one adult per room. What are your thoughts? will it be ok to have them together and us together without "breaking the rules"? thanks everyone! Joanne

They won't let you book kids into Guarantees by themselves (we asked when we booked our last cruise). The fact that the TA had to put one adult in each room tells you that you cannot have 2 teens (even if one is legally an 18 yr old adult) in a room by themselves unless they are adjacent (& I believe that means either next to across the hall from) to the parents. So if you put the teens on Deck 2 and you and spouse on deck 8, yes you are breaking the rules. Will anyone bother you about it? Probably not as long as the teens fly under the radar. For me it would come down to how comfortable are you with your kids 6 decks away (and in different muster stations, G-d forbid anything happens) and the hassles of connecting when you wanted in the rooms.

They won't let you book kids into Guarantees by themselves (we asked when we booked our last cruise). The fact that the TA had to put one adult in each room tells you that you cannot have 2 teens (even if one is legally an 18 yr old adult) in a room by themselves unless they are adjacent (& I believe that means either next to across the hall from) to the parents. So if you put the teens on Deck 2 and you and spouse on deck 8, yes you are breaking the rules. Will anyone bother you about it? Probably not as long as the teens fly under the radar. For me it would come down to how comfortable are you with your kids 6 decks away (and in different muster stations, G-d forbid anything happens) and the hassles of connecting when you wanted in the rooms.

Actually if the cabins are in the same section they might even share the same muster station. You can have cabins right next to each other and be in different Muster Stations, but you can be in cabins seperated by a few decks and still at the same Muster Station.

They don't care who sleeps where..so it will not be a problem to have the kids in their own room.

This is only true as long as the kids won´t cause any trouble.

(Disclaimer: This is by no means an attack to the OP´s kids nor do I even want to imply the OP´s kids would cause trouble - I´m just speaking in general terms here).

Finally saw our cabins assigned on the Monarch July 26th 4-night cruise. There are 4 of us travelling (2 sons 15 & 18). We've received OV on deck 8 and OC on deck 2!!! It's funny the rooms are identical in location but 6 decks apart lol...I knew well in advance that we might end up on different decks but you always wish that you will be closer. We lucked out on this cruise as we only paid $299!! and the boys get their own cabin at that!! Prices went up right after I booked and never came down again. Yes, I realize the 8th deck view is obstructed and the 2nd deck is way down there but we're happy and will make the most of our first cruise! hopefully we will love it! The TA assures me I will have no problems putting the boys together in one room - when he booked he had to put one adult per room. What are your thoughts? will it be ok to have them together and us together without "breaking the rules"? thanks everyone! Joanne

Yes, you broke the rules. You may trust them and that's fine. How about their safety? Wouldn't you rather your cabins were closer to each other?

Not sure what OC is.

If you are in cat H cabins, there are plenty next to each other on deck 2. Just have your TA switch one.

Sounds to me like the bookings were not linked together. You would think there still being alot of empty cabins on the ship they would have certainly put you closer together.

Sounds like your agent dropped the ball on that. If you call the agent they should be able to call Royal Caribbean and get you closer to each other. I would try that if I was you.

Jimbo:)

Yes, you broke the rules. You may trust them and that's fine. How about their safety? Wouldn't you rather your cabins were closer to each other?

Not sure what OC is.

If you are in cat H cabins, there are plenty next to each other on deck 2. Just have your TA switch one.

Sorry, meant to say OV not OC...I called Royal myself and the agent told me I was not supposed to call because I have a TA but I did get him to tell me that a cabin right across the hall from cabin 2004 was available and to have my TA call. So i called the TA and he got them on the phone while I waited....what RCI omitted to tell me is that they would charge extra money, about $350 more to go to category H - the other room we got was category I on 8th deck. This is our first cruise and believe me I have learned loads from this forum - which I discovered after booking only. We will probably go one parent per room - I am not a rule breaker for sure.

Not sure what OC is.

Sorry, meant to say OV not OC...I called Royal myself and the agent told me I was not supposed to call because I have a TA but I did get him to tell me that a cabin right across the hall from cabin 2004 was available and to have my TA call. So i called the TA and he got them on the phone while I waited....what RCI omitted to tell me is that they would charge extra money, about $350 more to go to category H - the other room we got was category I on 8th deck. This is our first cruise and believe me I have learned loads from this forum - which I discovered after booking only. We will probably go one parent per room - I am not a rule breaker for sure.

Sounds to me like the bookings were not linked together. You would think there still being alot of empty cabins on the ship they would have certainly put you closer together.

Sounds like your agent dropped the ball on that. If you call the agent they should be able to call Royal Caribbean and get you closer to each other. I would try that if I was you.

Jimbo:)

Jim, they booked guarantee cabins. You can't link or request. That's the point of a guarantee - you take your chances.

Now, the TA could call and TRY to move one of the cabins...........but Royal Caribbean is under NO obligation to do so.

You are going to have problems when you go to Guest Relations to get different SeaPass cards. They may give you an "extra" card so that you can access the room, but the charging privileges will remain with the original SeaPass cards.

They are NOT going to "just let you switch", because an adult MUST be in each cabin.

Someone in each room is going to have to carry two cards - one that is the true SeaPass and does everything, and one that just unlocks the actual cabin that he is in.

And as someone else said, if God forbid, something goes wrong.............

RC's website shows gobs of available cabins on Deck 2. You should have your TA see if he can find one near the assigned Deck 2 cabin. Deck 8 has no available cabins showing.

RC's website shows gobs of available cabins on Deck 2. You should have your TA see if he can find one near the assigned Deck 2 cabin. Deck 8 has no available cabins showing.

Deck 2 is cat H and Deck 8 is cat I. There are no I's on deck 2 or H's on deck 8. To change categories would cause a price increase.

I'd suggest the OP get both cabins put back into the guarantee that they booked. Good chance the cabins assigned would be the same category and same deck.

Deck 2 is cat H and Deck 8 is cat I. There are no I's on deck 2 or H's on deck 8. To change categories would cause a price increase.

I'd suggest the OP get both cabins put back into the guarantee that they booked. Good chance the cabins assigned would be the same category and same deck.

I agree. Put the guarantees back in the pool. Tell your TA to request adjoining despite the fact that guarantees can't be guaranteed. On Deck 2, 2550, 2558, 2568, 2570, 2616, 2618, 2102,2104, 2106 2108 all appear to be open. Is your TA being helpful?

Thanks SeaUs - we can do that? get the cabins put back into guarantee? I'm calling the TA and asking him - I would definitely take that chance - we have decided to stay one parent with each son as it was booked. I was never comfortable having them far away. So we'll try your suggestion and possibly get closer.

Oh, good call.

I still can't believe that Deck 8, even though they are somewhat obstructed, are a "lower" category than Deck 2.

:)

Good advice for Jo.

Jim, they booked guarantee cabins. You can't link or request. That's the point of a guarantee - you take your chances.

Now, the TA could call and TRY to move one of the cabins...........but Royal Caribbean is under NO obligation to do so.

I am book on a guarantee room and my neice just book a guarantee room and rccl did link our resverations together. We will see when the cabins are assigned if we are near each other.

Oh, good call.

I still can't believe that Deck 8, even though they are somewhat obstructed, are a "lower" category than Deck 2.

:)

Good advice for Jo.

Thanks SeaUs and John Henry - I've just left a message for my TA to do just that - throw back the cabins and hope that we are closer together. The worse that could happen is the same scenario - and at that point we would stay one parent with each son...I agree with the safety issues and do not want to break any rules. Thanks again.

linking reservations is for dining, not cabin locations

You can link the reservations and in "remarks" ask that the cabins adjoin. Please promise to let us know how this is resolved. (I should hush but this is why I prefer dealing with RCI directly. They bend over backwards to go that extra step. I know cabins aren't to be switched when they are guaranteed .... however .... )

You can link the reservations and in "remarks" ask that the cabins adjoin. Please promise to let us know how this is resolved. (I should hush but this is why I prefer dealing with RCI directly. They bend over backwards to go that extra step. I know cabins aren't to be switched when they are guaranteed .... however .... )

Since guaranteed cabins are assigned by a computer, it's unlikely the computer will read remarks.

Cabins assigned under a guarantee are changed all the time as long as they are in the same category.

Oh yes, I will definitely book directly next time...it's funny because I book all my land vacations myself???? saw the price on the TA website and never thought to check RCI's website????? It's our first cruise. I didn't even know about price drops...Although my TA has been very nice so far, I'm hoping he will be able to throw back the rooms into the guarantee pool. I'm not looking for an upgrade, just want to be closer to rest of the family.

Oh yes, I will definitely book directly next time...it's funny because I book all my land vacations myself???? saw the price on the TA website and never thought to check RCI's website????? It's our first cruise. I didn't even know about price drops...Although my TA has been very nice so far, I'm hoping he will be able to throw back the rooms into the guarantee pool. I'm not looking for an upgrade, just want to be closer to rest of the family.

actually a good TA will get you price drops and or upgrades before you even find out about them. They will also do the arguing with an uninformed or inexperienced Royal Caribbean employee on the other end of the phone.

actually a good TA will get you price drops and or upgrades before you even find out about them. They will also do the arguing with an uninformed or inexperienced Royal Caribbean employee on the other end of the phone.

You have a very good point SeaUs...

Archived