New Progressive Lenses & Cruising Question

UpstateCruizer

I finally gave in and agreed to make the change from single vision lenses to the much needed progressive lenses (I could have switched to bifocals but they convinced me to give these a try). Anyhow there is definatly a difference and adjustment period which is why I am asking this question here.

I am set to fly on 9 days and cruise in 11. For those that have made the change to progressive lenses would you reccomend waiting until I return to start using the new glasses? With all that I've read it can take a couple of weeks to adjust to the new glasses and I'm kicking myself for not waiting until we return to get the new ones. I certainly don't want to be experiencing any of the adjusting while I'm on a ship.

This has to be one of the more unusal quesitons I have seen on CC. HOWEVER, it deserves a non-judgemental reply, just like all questions posed.

Upstate,

When I did the 'big switch" I had very little difficulty transitioning to the progressive lens. My biggest problem was driving and learning to drop my head instead of just my eyes to see the speedometer. Since I don't think you'll be doing much driving, this might be the best time to adjust to your new found "badge of maturity". Take both pair of glasses with you, a good tip in any case, and transition while you relax.

P.S. Girl watching is a little more difficult as you may need to move your head to focus on the sights. (If you happen to be a female, please change to boy watching)

Enjoy your cruise, the switch isn't that bad.

I certainly don't want to be experiencing any of the adjusting while I'm on a ship.

It was my experience that the adjustment period (for bifocals) only lasted about 3-4 days -- but if you're concerned about it, why wouldn't you wait?

Caro

I have the Progressive lens, in my case, tri-focals. I LOVE THEM :D.

I'm on my 3rd pair. I certainly wouldn't wait before getting them.

The only adjustment I've had - and this is on every pair - is stepping onto or off 0f a curb. I no longer drive :( so driving isn't an issue with me.

I won't have anything else now.

It took me about 5 minutes to adjust to my progressives. However, wait till you try using a computer with the things. I ended up buying a pair of single focus computer-only lens to use when using the computer.

DON

I think the best time to change over would be on vacation.. no worries about eye-strain etc. if you started using them for work. The only real problem I had with progressives was stairs.. not quite sure how to hold my head to make sure I wasn't walking off the stair too far. Just take your old pair in case you need them.

A couple of weeks? Not in my experience. This is really not a big deal. I agree with being careful on stairs. I like progressives, but they aren't the best for working on the computer, or just reading for me. Great for travel though; no taking glasses on and off.

I think that progressives ARE bi-focals. (Or tri-focals). Just no line, which is why the two lenses are "progressive", rather than two different lenses separated by a line. I've worn them for years, and it really shouldn't take that lone for you to adjust to them. You'll get used to that "head nodding" in to time! Enjoy your cruise.

My neighbor gave me a pair of special sunglasses that fit over your regular glasses, allowing you to see through your Rx lenses....they work great, and might be a good investment for your cruise, especially if you'll be spending a lot of time in the sun. It's cheaper than buying progressive Rx sunglasses, which I did for years.

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, it probably seemed like a strange question to pose here but I am one of those people that has to take Bonnie when I cruise. I had read that making the switch to progressive lenses could be an issue if you are prone to motion sickness. I wondered if anyone else had gotten them right before cruising. I figured who better to ask than fellow cruisers.

The two week adjustment period came from my optician but I will be thrilled if it's not nearly that long. I'd love to not have to take my glasses off and on just to be able to read something which is why I made the change finally.

I do have rx sunglasses that have my old script in them that I use just for cruising so I'm going to be experimenting with them for now.

Thank you guys for sharing your experiences :)

I bought the Varilux lenses. They automatically change from clear glasses to sunglasses when you go outside; then back to clear when you go back inside. People at work would know that I was just outside because my glasses would be dark; then a few minutes later they'd be clear.

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, it probably seemed like a strange question to pose here but I am one of those people that has to take Bonnie when I cruise. I had read that making the switch to progressive lenses could be an issue if you are prone to motion sickness. I wondered if anyone else had gotten them right before cruising. I figured who better to ask than fellow cruisers.

The two week adjustment period came from my optician but I will be thrilled if it's not nearly that long. I'd love to not have to take my glasses off and on just to be able to read something which is why I made the change finally.

I do have rx sunglasses that have my old script in them that I use just for cruising so I'm going to be experimenting with them for now.

Thank you guys for sharing your experiences :)

I was warned NOT to use my old Rx sunglasses because my eyes would be continually adjusting between the old and new scripts! I got my new glasses back in November, and about a month later, put on my old sunglasses just to read on the morning-sun front porch, and could hardly see the book title. Normally, I get new sunglasses with my new script, but they're just too expensive, which is why I wear the (dorky-looking) plain sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses. They work pretty well! I don't think any optometrist or opthomologist would advise wearing any glasses with an old script while you're wearing new ones.

but I am one of those people that has to take Bonnie when I cruise. I had read that making the switch to progressive lenses could be an issue if you are prone to motion sickness. :)

I am one of those people too, sadly. I got switched to bifocals a few years ago. My husband had progressives lenses and had no problems, so that is what I got. Big mistake for me! I was so motion sick that I took Bonine the entire 7 days that I tried to adjust and was still vomiting after driving or shopping. (I never tried any other traveling during that period and I can't imagine being able to have done so!) I gave it up and returned the glasses for the lined bifocals. I greatly prefer them to the no-lined ones! I will say that it still took some time to adjust to the lines as well, but nothing compared to the progressives. On my second pair now, I will also note that the anti-glare feature is a huge plus on lined lenses. Good luck, Debbie

I am one of those people too, sadly. I got switched to bifocals a few years ago. My husband had progressives lenses and had no problems, so that is what I got. Big mistake for me! I was so motion sick that I took Bonine the entire 7 days that I tried to adjust and was still vomiting after driving or shopping. (I never tried any other traveling during that period and I can't imagine being able to have done so!) I gave it up and returned the glasses for the lined bifocals. I greatly prefer them to the no-lined ones! I will say that it still took some time to adjust to the lines as well, but nothing compared to the progressives. On my second pair now, I will also note that the anti-glare feature is a huge plus on lined lenses. Good luck, Debbie

I also have the anti-glare feature on my new glasses, but I find that they smudge very easily, and I have to clean them more often. I called the optician about this, and he confirmed that the anti-glare is "smudge" - prone. This seems to happen when I go to a more humid environment - like walking outside. I won't have the anti-glare feature on my next pair of glasses! I have to clean them 3-4 times a day. I cleaned my old glasses once a day, in the morning.

They take some time getting used to. Stairs can be difficult as you see them through the bottom of the lens with more magnification so it throws your depth perception off a bit. If you play any sports you will want a pair of single visions. You can adjust to static activities like golf, billiards, etc, eventually - but motion activities like hitting a baseball or playing basketball can be quite a bit different (difficult) especially if a ball comes at you from your periphery.

The strength of your Rx may have something to do with how easy the change goes. I have a strong Rx and simply could not adjust to progressive lenses. The first time I tried tri-focals I could see perfectly without any adjustment time.

I finally gave in and agreed to make the change from single vision lenses to the much needed progressive lenses (I could have switched to bifocals but they convinced me to give these a try). Anyhow there is definatly a difference and adjustment period which is why I am asking this question here.

I am set to fly on 9 days and cruise in 11. For those that have made the change to progressive lenses would you reccomend waiting until I return to start using the new glasses? With all that I've read it can take a couple of weeks to adjust to the new glasses and I'm kicking myself for not waiting until we return to get the new ones. I certainly don't want to be experiencing any of the adjusting while I'm on a ship.

Have you talked with your opthamologist? No one here knows your specific conditions and how long it will take you to adjust, so giving you advice could be risky. It didn't take me much time at all, but you're not me. If you're having much difficulty, you need to go to your opthamologist before your cruise and ask their advice. Not sure why going on a cruise would be different than other situations.

I am in my late 40s and switched from single vision to progressives a couple years ago (best thing I ever did). I think my adjustment period was maybe a week. Why don't you bring both your new progressives as well as your old single vision glasses with you on the cruise? Start w/ the progressives and if they really are an inconvenience, switch back to your old glasses until you get home. That way you will be covered in either scenario.

I tried progressives twice, and could not stand them. Not enough reading area, too distorted around the edges. I have worn bifocals, and then trifocals for years now and love them. EM

Then the optician didn't measure your eyes correctly; this would determine how large (or small) the particular "lens" would be. When I got my present pair of glasses, the optician told me to wear them for a couple of days and see what you think about them. She didn't tell me why, at that point, she was concerned. When I got home and sat down at my computer I realized what she was talking about. To see what's on the computer screen I had to tilt my head back and read the computer screen through the bottom portion of my glasses.

I went back in the next day. She, the optician, said that my middle-distance portion of the lenses was measured incorrectly. So I got my new-new glasses a few days later and they were fine.

My adjustment has been much more difficult. I LOVE them for driving. Now I can see my instrument panel AND the road! Eureka!

However, work-life has been a nightmare. My biggest problem is distance. With age, I have recently developed the inability to read even moderately small type. However, my mid-range vision (think computer monitor) is perfect...without the glasses. With them, it's been awful. I either take them off or have to crick my neck back to look out the bottom of the glasses. I've had them adjusted twice, to move them higher on my face. Any higher and I'll be fighting with the edge of the lens base!

I seem to be in the VAST minority, but my advice would be to wait until after the cruise to start adjusting.

Archived