Ages for "Kids Clubs"

mamacita123

I am travelling with three grandkids ages 5, 12 and 14. The 12 year old would really like to hang with her 14 year old cousin - she's actually 12 years and 7 months by cruise time. How strict are the ages adhered to. It seems that the 12 year olds are in with the 3-12 group, then it's 13-17. Ideas anyone?:cool:

I am travelling with three grandkids ages 5, 12 and 14. The 12 year old would really like to hang with her 14 year old cousin - she's actually 12 years and 7 months by cruise time. How strict are the ages adhered to. It seems that the 12 year olds are in with the 3-12 group, then it's 13-17. Ideas anyone?:cool:

They're very strict. They do not want the liability of putting pre-teens in a group with teenagers. All they would need is one complaint of a teen taking advantage of a pre-teen in a kid's club. Lawsuit city.

When I was 17, the teen club was more of a place to meet up and head out or make plans to meet up elsewhere on the ship later that day. We made little or no use of the supervised activities. I don't think an environment like that would be appropriate for a 12-year-old.

Thanks for your great responses! I really don't want the 12 year old with 17 year olds. We are on the Princess Sapphire. I guess it seems a little weird that the clubs are 3-12, then 13-17. Just that "tween" age I guess!

You didn't say when you were going (sometimes the groupings will vary slightly when there are fewer kids onboard), but when my daughter was 8, she was in the 8 to 12 group. The year before, she was in a 7 to 9 group, but there were more kids then.

As others have mentioned, there is the problem of liability. Plus, many parents will insist that their little darlings are "mature" for their age. So it easier for the counselors to say no, they can't make exceptions and put an end to parental requests.

Another thing to consider: if the teen grouping is 13 to 17, the teens aren't going to be too pleased if a younger kid is forced on them.

If the 12 year old wants to hang out with her older cousin (and the older one doesn't mind), they can go swimming or take part in some of the regular (non-kid) activities, such as trivia.

Thanks for your great responses! I really don't want the 12 year old with 17 year olds. We are on the Princess Sapphire. I guess it seems a little weird that the clubs are 3-12, then 13-17. Just that "tween" age I guess!

I think you've got a little misinformation about the age groups. The first group is for the 3 to 7 kids, the next is the 8 to 12 and finally the teen group, 13 to 17. They will not put 3 year olds with 12 year olds. And I've found that they tend to have little subdivisions within the three groups, so it's usually 3 to 5 year olds, 7 and 8. The only time that might change is when there are very few kids on board.

Archived