'Liberty' leaves Miami for FLL

jleq

The new Terminal 18 they built for Oasis/Allure is absolutely fabulous....couldn't be easier...and I drive to the port.

http://www.porteverglades.net/our-community-role/port-development/cruise-terminal-18/

I've only heard wonderful things about Terminal 18. And if I knew that Liberty would be using that terminal, I would really consider booking a 4 or 5 nighter on her.

Yeh. Much prefer Ft. Lauderdale over Miami. Parking at the port is only $15 and even cheaper at the very near "outside" lots like Park and Go. We've found it better to park outside the port and catch their shuttles than haul luggage and get into the traffic jams inside port. Plus its so easy to pickup/return a rental car at the airport with free shuttles.

Wow, that stinks. We love the Miami area and cruising from there. Cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale was absolutely terrible and I swore I would never leave from there again. Guess I might have to reconsider.

And I always felt the same way about departing from San Juan.

Are the luggage handlers at FLL stil insisting:rolleyes: on a tip now? Went on first cruise out of FLL and still remember this outrageous behavior. Have since been out of MIA, Port Canaveral, NOLA and have never experienced the threats that we received from the porters from FLL. The kicker is I'm a very good tipper. I just will not the threatened with not seeing my bags again.

Wow, that stinks. We love the Miami area and cruising from there. Cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale was absolutely terrible and I swore I would never leave from there again. Guess I might have to reconsider.

We prefer Ft. Lauderdale if we are driving there. Find it much easier to get to from I-95.

Are the luggage handlers at FLL stil insisting:rolleyes: on a tip now? Went on first cruise out of FLL and still remember this outrageous behavior. Have since been out of MIA, Port Canaveral, NOLA and have never experienced the threats that we received from the porters from FLL. The kicker is I'm a very good tipper. I just will not the threatened with not seeing my bags again.

Yes, they were still at it recently. But there was a CC poster that stood up and struck back ;). He took a picture, emailed the head of the union and got a repsonse. The exployee was suspended....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1170000

We haven't had problems with the porters at Port Everglades since we pack light and usually carry our luggage on and off the ship by ourselves. We have had numerous negative experiences with the taxi drivers in Ft. Lauderdale. They are the worst of any we have experienced in all our travels. Not only do they demand tips but they purposely drive out of the way to inflate the fares. Once we even had a taxi dispatcher at Port Everglades demand a tip for helping us put a couple of pieces of luggage into the back of the cab. In comparison we've never had any of these types of negative experiences in Miami or anywhere else for that matter.

We have had numerous negative experiences with the taxi drivers in Ft. Lauderdale. They are the worst of any we have experienced in all our travels. Not only do they demand tips but they purposely drive out of the way to inflate the fares. Once we even had a taxi dispatcher at Port Everglades demand a tip for helping us put a couple of pieces of luggage into the back of the cab. In comparison we've never had any of these types of negative experiences in Miami or anywhere else for that matter.

Yes, I am pretty sure we were taken by a taxi driver and it was because I was simply in no mood to argue. And he knew it. You know that from the airport to port is what, 1.2 miles and usually $10 - $12. He picked us up and already had an amount registered on his meter. We didn't encounter any unusual traffic. He dropped us off in the middle of the street and said $36.

I was tired traveling with kids and I just handed him the money (with tip) and went on my way.

On the way back to the airport the same trip cost us -- $10. :rolleyes:

We haven't had problems with the porters at Port Everglades since we pack light and usually carry our luggage on and off the ship by ourselves. We have had numerous negative experiences with the taxi drivers in Ft. Lauderdale. They are the worst of any we have experienced in all our travels. Not only do they demand tips but they purposely drive out of the way to inflate the fares. Once we even had a taxi dispatcher at Port Everglades demand a tip for helping us put a couple of pieces of luggage into the back of the cab. In comparison we've never had any of these types of negative experiences in Miami or anywhere else for that matter.

I had a similar problem with a taxi dispatcher at FLL. Wanted to know where HIS tip was. I also had a mini shakedown in Miami with a porter. One of the many reasons I avoid Miami!

Yes, I am pretty sure we were taken by a taxi driver and it was because I was simply in no mood to argue. And he knew it. You know that from the airport to port is what, 1.2 miles and usually $10 - $12. He picked us up and already had an amount registered on his meter. We didn't encounter any unusual traffic. He dropped us off in the middle of the street and said $36.

I was tired traveling with kids and I just handed him the money (with tip) and went on my way.

On the way back to the airport the same trip cost us -- $10. :rolleyes:

Yes, you were definitely ripped off. But not surprised. Last October we took a cab from the airport to our hotel. Fare was less than $15.00. I hand the driver a $20.00 bill and he starts to walk away. I said what about my change? He said with his tip there was no change. Now I had intended to give him a tip but didn't like the fact that he just took my money and walked away. This is the attitude that we have found in Fort Lauderdale. We cringe when we have to use a taxi.

I understand that but the Independence usually ports in FLL during the winter. Since Liberty is arriving winter 2011, it seems like a lot of ships will be in port including the independence, oasis, and allure.

I heard somewhere that Independence will not be coming back to FFL for at least 2 years. Any truth to that?

Airport Economy Parking $7.50/per day (plus around $15 each way for taxi from FLL to pier)

Long term self-parking is available at Airport Economy Parking. Free shuttles to the terminals operate from this lot every 15 minutes, 24 hours a day. Watch for Shuttle stop signs at shelters. Terminal drop-off and pick-up stops are at each terminal building, lower level crosswalk (Baggage Claim). Upon your return, Airport Economy Parking customers can catch the Airport Economy Parking shuttles back to their car at this location.

Doing this is less expensive than parking at the pier for a 7 night cruise. $82.50 airport parking vs $105 at pier

There are a couple of offsite lots (private companies) that charge less than $7.50 per day

If you are doing a 4-5 night cruise, you are best off parking at the pier ($15/per day)

I live in FL and agree that Port Everglades Terminal (though close to ugly in appearance) is much easier to "navigate" than the Port of Miami. The history of the FLL terminal/port dates back to WW II; this port was never designed to accommodate luxury passenger ships until the seventies. Dodge Island---built exclusively for cruise ships entering and leaving Miami---can be a nightmare to navigate and is not a Floridian's preference of departure ports unless they are a Miami-area resident. Soon this will change with the very recent go-ahead to begin construction (summer of 2011) of the under-water tunnel linking major expressways in south/south east Florida to this terminal. Yee Pee!

I heard somewhere that Independence will not be coming back to FFL for at least 2 years. Any truth to that?
She's not coming back next winter -- Liberty picked up the 8 night eastern/6 night western but is doing it out of Miami. We are booked on the Feb. 5, 2011 eastern.

She's not coming back next winter -- Liberty picked up the 8 night eastern/6 night western but is doing it out of Miami. We are booked on the Feb. 5, 2011 eastern.

The last 8 nighter Liberty is doing is Mar 19, 2011 we are already booked...After that no idea about the future 8 nighters out of FLL or MIA..will just have to wait and see what RCI decides to do..I hope they don't give up the eastern 8 nighters !!!!:(

The last 8 nighter Liberty is doing is Mar 19, 2011 we are already booked...After that no idea about the future 8 nighters out of FLL or MIA..will just have to wait and see what RCI decides to do..I hope they don't give up the eastern 8 nighters !!!!:(
I don't think they will have an 8/6 night ship for 2011/2012 as Liberty is doing 4&5 nights. Maybe they will schedule one for the next winter season. They also do not have 10/11 nights oN Jewel or any other ship for that season -- Jewel will be doing 4 and 5 nights out of Tampa. Loved the 8 night itinearary -- did it on Jewel and Indy and loved having that extra day. Great to wake up on Day 7 and realize you have an extra day.

For what it's worth, I was on Liberty last week. The crew mentioned it was going to Europe starting this summer.

Port of Miami is very distracted by a stupid plan to put in a tunnel for truck traffic. Unlike a real cargo port, there is no rail service into the PoM. So cargo has to be transferred to trucks which then tie up traffic everywhere to get to the port.

Rather than pretending to be a cargo port, they should have focused on Miami's #1 industry, tourism.

A much better plan for PoM is to reduce cargo and add a couple cruise terminals per year.

PoM does have real terminals. I've been on RCL out of both ports. At Port Everglades, it's like a big warehouse with piles of luggage. PoM has airport like baggage handling. Both need more Customs stations but at least Miami has the better facility. I much prefer PoM over Port Everglades.

It's a good thing I like Majesty. I've had enough of the big ships. Their excuse for every long wait is the size of the ship. I get much better deals on Majesty and the ship is in great condition with a very positive crew. If we had to lose one in PoM, I'm glad it was Liberty.

Have fun with the traffic and extra security checks at Port Everglades.

Ray

Soon this will change with the very recent go-ahead to begin construction (summer of 2011) of the under-water tunnel linking major expressways in south/south east Florida to this terminal. Yee Pee!

That tunnel will only connect US395 under the cruise ship channel and into the port. Maybe a couple thousand feet. Oh, and it's for truckers with cargo only.

That tunnel was way over sold and will be way too expensive for very little gain. If it made sense to keep cargo at PoM, they would be connected with rail. That's how cargo gets to South Florida, not by highway.

I much prefer Fort Lauderdale/ Port Everglades over the Miami port. Port Everglades is in an area that has decent hotels and is safe at night. I don't think I would enjoy spending the night before a cruise stuck in a hotel room because it isn't safe to go outside!

Then again I don't have to worry about hotels because I can drive to either port, and Port Everglades is much less expensive to park (another perk)!

It's not safe to go outside at night in Miami ?

Why didn't anyone tell me this before the last 2 times I went out in Miami at night ?!!

Wow, FLL will have the Independence, Liberty, Allure, and Oasis

plus the other cruise liners

FLL may become a nightmare if this isnt handled correctly

There are other cruislines still based in Miami.

NCL Epic is going from there :D

Archived