How do I find the Palatine Hill entrance for the Forum?

DrivesLikeMario

I know this must sound like a weird question, but I can't find it on any maps. Everyone says to buy the Colesseum and Forum tickets together at the Palatine entrance to the Forum, but where is that exactly? Will there be signs pointing the way?

We plan to take the metro there, so from the Colosseo metro station, which way do we go?

Thanks for helping out a Rome novice. :o

It's easy once you've been there, but until then it's all a big blank.

The Palatine ticket office is on Via di San Gregorio. I don't know the street address, but if you use the coordinates 41.887859,12.489696 on a Google map, you'll see it. There is a painted crosswalk and a traffic signal, and there are always one or two vendors parked right there selling soda, food, guide books, etc.

From the Colosseo metro, walk south past the Arch of Constantine and continue down Via di San Gregorio.

If you are going here directly from Civitavecchia, I'd suggest a slightly different routing. Get off the train at Roma Ostiense and take the metro north one stop to Circo Massimo (Circus Maximus). From here, walk north (Circus Maximus will be on your left) to Via di San Gregorio. Going this way will save you at least 15 minutes, or as much as 30 - 45 minutes vs. going to Roma Termini and going south from there.

Have a look at the map in the link below:

http://www.capitolium.org/photo/piantina.jpg

You'll arrive at the Metro Colosseo stop (just above the Colosseum on the map) walk across the street, then down the path toward Constantine's arch (keeping the Colosseum on your left). Go past the arch and in a few moments you'll reach Via San Gregorio. The Palatine Hill entrance is on your right -- on the map, it's where the white T-shaped area is just above the "e" in "Gregorio."

Hope this helps. It's really not far.

If you are going to be in Rome for more than a day, you may want to consider picking up a Roma Pass. It is 25 euros/pass, is valid for 3 days, and includes free use of Rome's public transportation and free entry into two museums or sites (check their website for the list) and reduced admission after your two sites are used up.

It may not be worthwile for one day, but if you are spending a couple days in Rome it is a pretty good deal, so I recommend investigating it.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this post to be really helpful. Thanks to everyone who has given their input. I do have one question....I'm assuming the Metro mentioned is Rome's subway system (?) I plan on taking a train from the port of Civitavecchia into Rome. What is the stop that I would get off at if I am starting my day at Palatine and the Colisseum? Thanks!

Michael

Michael, glad this thread has helped. Since these are two totally different trains and train systems, I'm pretty sure you will come into Termini Station on the Civitavecchia train and then need to transfer to the "B" Blue Line Metro to the Colosseo stop. Then, continue on with the directions above.

I found this post to be really helpful. Thanks to everyone who has given their input. I do have one question....I'm assuming the Metro mentioned is Rome's subway system (?) I plan on taking a train from the port of Civitavecchia into Rome. What is the stop that I would get off at if I am starting my day at Palatine and the Colisseum?

It is unnecessary and out of the way to go all the way to Roma Termini in order to go to the Colosseum.

From Civitavecchia, on a regional train, get off at Roma Ostiense. Walk through the tunnel to the metro stop (Rome subway) and go north (toward Rebibbia) either one stop to Circo Massimo (if you are going to Palatine) or two stops to Colosseo (if you are going to the Colosseum).

Archived