trip delayed indefinitely due to volcano

Hydrokitty

O.k., first openings in Germany: Bremen, Hamburg and both airports in Berlin.

All other airports (especially Frankfurt and Munich) are operating under the permit condition. But LH is operating all TA flights.

steamboats

aka Carmen

Oh Ine, that's beautiful and thank you so much, I'm going to leave the masks home! Things are looking up a little today, Lufthansa flight we're on Thursday took off from JFK on time (well an hour late, but at JFK that's nothing) Our early morning connection to Brussels is cancelled for tomorrow but I checked and there are several flights later in the day and all have availability for Friday. If we can't make Brussels there are several flights, all with availability on Fri., Sat., and Sun from Frankfort to Amsterdam. Fortunately, because Brussels is a pre-trip extension we actually have until Sunday night to get on board the ship, so I think we're going to make it unless Mother Nature has another hissy fit!! :D

Once you are in Frankfurt and connecting flights flights are full or not operating, remember there are good frequent trainconnections too. Trains might be crowded, but it is an option. Since today flights are allowed also after dark, which will give more possibilities.

Enjoy your trip!

Latest news: All German airports are open. The ban was lifted 15 min ago.

The airlines are resuming their schedules but of course it will take a couple of days until all flights are operating again. LH said a couple of days ago that it will take them up to a week to run the full schedule again.

steamboats

Latest news: All German airports are open. The ban was lifted 15 min ago.

The airlines are resuming their schedules but of course it will take a couple of days until all flights are operating again. LH said a couple of days ago that it will take them up to a week to run the full schedule again.

steamboats

Thank you so much for all of the news and updates from Germany regarding weather and flights.

Hope to get to German airports in June via LH for our Danube cruise.:)

Thank you so much for all of the news and updates from Germany regarding weather and flights.

Hope to get to German airports in June via LH for our Danube cruise.:)

Same here! We leave seven weeks today for our river cruise Vienna/Amsterdam so will also be watching the volcano hopefully abate and the flights back to normal.

Vera

We were to sail on the AMA Amadagio on Monday April 19 from Rousse Bulgaria. Our flight was to leave on April 15 as we were doing a post cruise in Transylvania. Needless to say, we didn't make the cruise and are now back in Orlando trying to regroup. We do have travel insurance, however, we were using FF miles for our air and that is going to be difficult to redo on short notice. Our TA has informed us that AMA will NOT allow us to transfer our ticket to another date. They want us to collect from the Travel Insurance (which is not from AMA) and then rebook. Our friends bought their ticket and travel insurance directly from AMA and they are being allowed to transfer their ticket to another date.

We are so disappointed that we have missed the cruise but we will try to rebook. I guess if this is the worst thing that happens to us in our lives we'll be okay....but we really were looking forward to the cruise.

We were to sail on the AMA Amadagio on Monday April 19 from Rousse Bulgaria. Our flight was to leave on April 15 as we were doing a post cruise in Transylvania. Needless to say, we didn't make the cruise and are now back in Orlando trying to regroup. We do have travel insurance, however, we were using FF miles for our air and that is going to be difficult to redo on short notice. Our TA has informed us that AMA will NOT allow us to transfer our ticket to another date. They want us to collect from the Travel Insurance (which is not from AMA) and then rebook. Our friends bought their ticket and travel insurance directly from AMA and they are being allowed to transfer their ticket to another date.

Emsmom: so sorry to hear about your disappointment. Perhaps your airline, having cancelled your flight, would reinstate your ff miles. You might contact AMA directly and see what they'll do for you. I know vantage said they would rebook me, if necessary, for next April/May but that I would have to collect through my travel ins. since they cannot transfer the funds.

fortunately for us, it looks like we'll be going tomorrow as scheduled and the worst that will happen is a change in flight from Frankfort to Brussels.

I feel very badly for all of you who were not so lucky.:(

This might be the issue that separates some of the major players here. It is no one's "fault" that this volcano erupted, so I would hope that the companies would work with the passengers to accomodate when able.

I find it a bit distasteful that EmsMom could not transfer her booking to another date because she didn't buy insurance through AMA. She is not asking for her money back - just to move the cruise. Not everyone will be able to do that with work obligations, so I would hope that the companies will transfer bookings if they have space.

To be honest, if I had to go back through my insurance and get my money back - just to rebook the same itinerary with the same company at a different date - I would probably be looking for another company to cruise with.

We are looking at other cruise lines....that's what I think is so dumb on AMA's part. If they would have just said they would give us the credit, we would have rebooked with them. Now we are looking at Avalon as well because of the dates. Our travelling companions booked directly with AMA but they are going to get their money back as well as they want to travel with us so now it might mean AMA will lose two cabins. Delta reinstated all of our points but it will be difficult to get FF flights (business class) at this late date for anything this summer. We originally booked this back in September.

We contacted Avalon yesterday and they still have availability and the airfares on Lufthansa are very reasonalble.. I'm glad that so many people were able to rebook at the last minute. We couldn't do it because of work conflicts so now we have to find a time when we can all go again.

Archived