trip delayed indefinitely due to volcano

Hydrokitty

I'm supposed to fly to Brussels from NYC on Thursday, April 22nd for a pre-extension in Brussels then on a river cruise in Amsterdam. I have trip insurance but it seems to deal with circumstances where I cancel the trip. What happens if Lufthansa or Vantage cancel the trip? Does anyone have any idea? I have been unable to reach Vantage. I imagine they are swamped with calls. :(

Most of the other river cruise compaies are allowing people to rebook their trip with no penalities. If your flight was booked separately though, Lufthansa would have to cancel your flight for the Ins. to pay up.

Since I was supposed to sail with Holland America on Monday in Rome, it will be interesting if the ocean cruise lines will also provide rebooking opportunities.

Should have stuck with our first love...river crusing!

WE were told after our first 2 flights were cancelled that it is important to make the "effort" to get to your cruise.You must show your flights were cancelled in order to get a refund or to be rebooked per our online TA and Avalon.You can't just decide not to go.That is why we just spent the last 3 days at the Cincinnati Airport!:D We did everything we could to get to Paris by today and did not give up until told by Delta that all flights to Paris were cancelled until at least Monday and probably longer.

Hi Nordski. I haven't heard what the big ship lines are doing, but you had better find out by your boarding date. You will need to cancel if you can't get there, in order to get the paperwork you will need for your Insurance claim.

You definately won't be flying out of Pearson today, so I would proceed with getting in touch with your insurance company and see what they say to do.

I am so sorry you are going to miss your river cruise. I have been reading all your posts since we booked our cruise. I dont know what your next step is,but please keep us informed. Again...so sorry...you must be so disappointed.

Hi Nordski. I haven't heard what the big ship lines are doing, but you had better find out by your boarding date. You will need to cancel if you can't get there, in order to get the paperwork you will need for your Insurance claim.

You definately won't be flying out of Pearson today, so I would proceed with getting in touch with your insurance company and see what they say to do.

Thanks Tiggypooo

I've got a case number and attempting due diligence. You're correct about Pearson.

What a nightmare for travel agents. Mine claims that the RCCL group are promising rebooking.

Letsgo, How frustrating when everything was "river cruising" in your head for so long. Solace in knowing there are hundereds of thousands of people in the world right now with transportation problems? And this morning after the scientific planes were able to get near the volcano, word is it is worsening and it could go on for weeks. Hope everyone is preparing for cancellations. rolleyes:

Thanks KC....we're scheduled on Lufthansa with tickets booked by Vantage. Unfortunately, I am unable to contact Vantage because they're closed on week-ends. I have checked my trip insurance and fortunately refund will not be an issue since we're covered for "natural disasters" and "any airport closed by a government order not caused by terrorism". I'm just really bummed because I want to see the tulips and will have to wait another year. In the grand scheme of things, this is a minor inconvenience and I'll deal with it. Hope everyone trying to get home is able to fly soon.

Have checked and none of the online ins.agencies are offering volcano protection after April 15th.....so if you don t have it, too late,,as in MY case....not sailing till June but already worried and checked into it...My cruise SeaDream is not offering same cruise I want this year...so not sure WHAT I d do.....hope I d at least get credit for next year,,,also booked air on my own,,,will surely get refund if not flying,right???Then I worry some cruise lines or airlines may go broke with refunds,etc...if not flying for long time,,, another worry:eek:

Alexandra cruiser - hopefully the volcano will quiet down soon, although I've read reports that is not imminent. Are you concerned that it woun't be by June? If not I'm sure the airlines will come up with some alternate routes??? I see KLM and some other airlines are 'testing' the volcanic ash cloud by flying thru it. Not sure I'd want to be on the first plane thru it if they resume passenger flights!

Let's pray that it calms soon so the world of travel doesn't get too messed up Cruise lines going out of business, travel agents giving up, I even wonder about the travel insurance companies and the ability of them to reimburse policy holders. What a mess!

Even afterwards will there be ash related implications? Breathing problems? Gosh, I hate to sound like a downer. Got to stay optimistic!

Even afterwards will there be ash related implications? Breathing problems? Gosh, I hate to sound like a downer. Got to stay optimistic!

I am hoping to go and I heard that flights might be opening up tomorrow. I refuse to worry about it....I figure if the pilot and crew are willing to go on the plane, it's ok for me to go on. I don't know of anyone willing to die for their company! As to the ash.....excellent point and I would suggest that anyone with any kind of breathing related problems bring a box of disposable masks (kind the dentists wear). I had a terrible problem in Egypt with the fine sand particles in the air (weather was beautiful) and I'm not taking chances with the volcanic ash. Want to hear something funny? I have a picture of the volcano with the glacier and the farm house with the red roof that I took in Iceland 3 years ago! I was admiring how beautiful it was and this is how it repays me! Mother Nature is in one royal snit, isn't she.:D

Mother Nature does indeed have an attitude problem in 2010. Only 4 months in and 3 major earthquakes (China Hati and Chili-- Mexico too though not much damage) horrible storms in our region ( snowiest Feb. ever ) and now the volcano. Just hope that history does not repeat and the larger volcano a few miles from the erupting one blows! I have traveled to many islands and I always have the passing thought "where do you go in a bad storm or Tsunami or Earthquake". Especially on Rangiroa in South Pacific. Rim of an OLD volcano and only 500 yards at its widest point:eek:

Iceland is on my bucket list -- sure hope it will be there to visit. Should of gone last year but took Greece and Turkey instead.

No news yet when airlines will fly again. There have been some testflights without any problem. Decision are postponed many times already.

But let me assure you that in The netherlands nobody has breathingproblems or can trace any ashes.

Sunday was a nice sunny day, no clouds, no ashes etc. Donot think you will have problems with that.

Keep your fingers crossed for good news and hopefully airlines will soon bring all those stranded passengers to their destinations.

I am hoping to go and I heard that flights might be opening up tomorrow. I refuse to worry about it....I figure if the pilot and crew are willing to go on the plane, it's ok for me to go on. I don't know of anyone willing to die for their company! As to the ash.....excellent point and I would suggest that anyone with any kind of breathing related problems bring a box of disposable masks (kind the dentists wear). I had a terrible problem in Egypt with the fine sand particles in the air (weather was beautiful) and I'm not taking chances with the volcanic ash. Want to hear something funny? I have a picture of the volcano with the glacier and the farm house with the red roof that I took in Iceland 3 years ago! I was admiring how beautiful it was and this is how it repays me! Mother Nature is in one royal snit, isn't she.:D

That is truly ironic.

Again we are pulling for you and for flights to start moving again as soon as it is safe. At least they are doing some test flights now.

Just heard that Germany has given Lufthansa permission to fly. Yay!!

German airports are officially closed until 2 pm (less than an hour from now). But there are permits to fly on visibility only and not higher than 3,000 m. First flights out are to get all the stranded people back. LH will slowly resume the regular schedule. But it might take up to 7 days until they are running on that regular schedule again. Until that there are still cancellations.

steamboats

My flilght for today was cancelled to Amsterdam for a cruise on Viking that starts on Friday. I bought travel insurance so that should be refunded. Viking emailed and told me I could re-book at the same rate for a cruise later this year or even next year.

My flilght for today was cancelled to Amsterdam for a cruise on Viking that starts on Friday. I bought travel insurance so that should be refunded. Viking emailed and told me I could re-book at the same rate for a cruise later this year or even next year.

MMK: Really sorry to hear that, Vantage has told me the same thing, but at least I have a larger window than you did. We booked the Brussels pre-trip so we actually have until Sunday to get to Amsterdam. I'm going to pick up my international driver's license from AAA today although I really hope I don't have to use it. I feel the same as you do though, if I can't go this week, I'll wait till next year. I want to see the tulips!!!!

But let me assure you that in The netherlands nobody has breathingproblems or can trace any ashes.

Sunday was a nice sunny day, no clouds, no ashes etc. Donot think you will have problems with that.

Ine: thank you for the update from someone who knows! I appreciate it so much because that was a concern for me.:)

Iceland is on my bucket list -- sure hope it will be there to visit. Should of gone last year but took Greece and Turkey instead.

Greece and Turkey are nice too! Iceland was wonderful and much cheaper now than when we went. You must be from the northeast....we've had 4 blizzards and 3 nor'easters for record breaking snow 60" + and rain. I was really hoping to fly to better weather, you know?:)

As I posted elsewhere on CC, today KLM has many flights to/from USA and other destinations. Not a complete schedule yet, since airports in Great Britain and Scandinavia are still closed. Also flying is only permitted untill 9pm (localtime), so planes have to leave or arrive before dark.

Check this site for more information:

http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/arrivals_departures/index.htm

Hydrokitty, check this photo that I made last Saturday April 17 to see how clear and blue the sky was. The same on Sunday and today we had a few clouds.

P1100123.jpg.b8ade323ffe1c949e034125404f32aca.jpg

As I posted elsewhere on CC, today KLM has many flights to/from USA and other destinations. Not a complete schedule yet, since airports in Great Britain and Scandinavia are still closed. Also flying is only permitted untill 9pm (localtime), so planes have to leave or arrive before dark.

Check this site for more information:

http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/arrivals_departures/index.htm

Hydrokitty, check this photo that I made last Saturday April 17 to see how clear and blue the sky was. The same on Sunday and today we had a few clouds.

Oh Ine, that's beautiful and thank you so much, I'm going to leave the masks home! Things are looking up a little today, Lufthansa flight we're on Thursday took off from JFK on time (well an hour late, but at JFK that's nothing) Our early morning connection to Brussels is cancelled for tomorrow but I checked and there are several flights later in the day and all have availability for Friday. If we can't make Brussels there are several flights, all with availability on Fri., Sat., and Sun from Frankfort to Amsterdam. Fortunately, because Brussels is a pre-trip extension we actually have until Sunday night to get on board the ship, so I think we're going to make it unless Mother Nature has another hissy fit!! :D

Archived