Can you get off the ship before 11 am in St. Thomas?

We are on the Freedom of the Seas in May and the website says we are in St. Thomas from 11 am - 7 pm. Does anyone know if the ship ever gets in earlier than 11 am and if it does, can I get off? We're considering doing an all day excursion but I really would like some time to get some souvenirs. The excursion we are looking at leaves at 11:30 which would leave no time to shop. It doesn't get back until just before the ship leaves so we couldn't shop at the end of the day either.

Of course it does. Just find the Captain at the beginning of the cruise and tell them you need to do some shopping and that you need to get into St Thomas early. I'm sure they will adjust the schedule just for you. ;)

Of course it does. Just find the Captain at the beginning of the cruise and tell them you need to do some shopping and that you need to get into St Thomas early. I'm sure they will adjust the schedule just for you. ;)

Too funny!:p .......but what a great idea!!! Please let us know how this works for you....

And don't forget to slip him a tip, $10 should do it.

When we went to San Juan we were scheduled to be there from 3-10 pm. I remember arriving just about 3:00. Your tour company should be very familiar with the ships arrival and departure time and plan their excursions accordingly. They usually tell you where and when to meet them.

With all of the full day excursions that we've booked through RCCL, they usually set aside time for lunch, restroom breaks, time for shopping etc. I'm sure there will be time for you to spend your $

We are on the Freedom of the Seas in May and the website says we are in St. Thomas from 11 am - 7 pm. Does anyone know if the ship ever gets in earlier than 11 am and if it does, can I get off? We're considering doing an all day excursion but I really would like some time to get some souvenirs. The excursion we are looking at leaves at 11:30 which would leave no time to shop. It doesn't get back until just before the ship leaves so we couldn't shop at the end of the day either.
Don't plan on getting off early, they have set times with immigration to come aboard and clear the ship, so even if the ship does get there early, it doesn't mean passengers will be let off any earlier.

Passengers with excursions booked through the ship will be allowed off before anyone else.....AFTER the ship clears local Immigration. Be prepared to stand in line along with the other 2000 or so passengers who also want to get off at the same time you do! Does the Freedom dock at Havensight or Crown Point? (I have no idea). If at Havensight, it's a good long walk into Charlotte Amalie. If it's Crown Point, it's a taxi ride. Does your excursion meet you at the ship or do you meet them downtown? If downtown, I doubt you'll make it by 11:30. Traffic on St. Thomas is (how shall I say this....) AWFUL! Also, there will probably be ships there that have docked hours before your trip, thus increasing the traffic. You might want to consider doing a ship's excursion instead, and one that will leave you time for shopping. There are shopping areas downtown (waaaaaaaay too many! The sidewalks are about as wide as a yardstick), and at both piers, as well. Enjoy your cruise!

Unless your stop at Coco Cay in the Bahamas is cancelled ( and maybe even if it is) you will have to wait until you are cleared by immigration. (and they won't get in any earlier than they care to:)) The only time you wouldn't have to have the ship cleared is if you sailed directly from the US (ie Ft Lauderdale, Miami or San Juan).

Unless your stop at Coco Cay in the Bahamas is cancelled ( and maybe even if it is) you will have to wait until you are cleared by immigration. (and they won't get in any earlier than they care to:)) The only time you wouldn't have to have the ship cleared is if you sailed directly from the US (ie Ft Lauderdale, Miami or San Juan).

Ships usually stop at St. Maarten before St. Thomas, even if it doesn't go to Nassau or Coca Cay first. I've never cruised to St. Thomas where Immigration wasn't involved.

Ships usually stop at St. Maarten before St. Thomas, even if it doesn't go to Nassau or Coca Cay first. I've never cruised to St. Thomas where Immigration wasn't involved.

Our Explorer of the Seas cruise in March, 2011 goes directly to San Juan and then to St. Thomas before it visits a non-US port so immigration shouldn't be involved until the ship returns to Bayonne at the end of the cruise. Just because someone hasn't experienced it, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Our Explorer of the Seas cruise in March, 2011 goes directly to San Juan and then to St. Thomas before it visits a non-US port so immigration shouldn't be involved until the ship returns to Bayonne at the end of the cruise. Just because someone hasn't experienced it, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Well, there's always an Explorerception to the rule! Enjoy your cruise!

Archived