Are people just not tour sharing?

nerysj

It likely depends on the cruise and the roll call. We had great responses for independent excursions on a cruise in January, sometimes I am sure that we all compromised a bit but I think we were all happy in the end. We are doing a Coastal next month and so far there are 10 us doing an independent wine tour in the Napa Valley.

Still by far most people do the ship excursions and those who do independents do not always get here on CC.

My husband likes the ship tours and the organization that goes into them. If we don't do ship we generally just walk around on our own or we have been there before (he hates to repeat but occasionally it happens) and just want to do our own thing. I think the best guides do commit to the cruise line because it is a steady stream of customers and independent tourers have to be recruited and worked with each day. When the ship sails that group is gone and probably won't return so start over to fill your tours. We also like to go early for a week and do one city/area very well and that is where we will sometimes book a tour guide and our friends here on CC have been wonderful to reccommend excellent people.

Hope you find your "partners in excursion". bt

As I have learned the past year, there is no similarity between excursions or even roll calls between Caribbean and Med cruises. Those are two different kind of animals. The transatlantics are just as different. That roll call for the october 2011 (18 freaking months out) was huge even before Princess even started selling the cruise. There are only a couple on our roll call who want to see the Med on a 50 person Princess sponsored motor coach tour. Most are very interested in sharing or doing tours otherwise privately.

I can see why there is some hesitation to share tours. I am a little uneasy about sharing with strangers because it's very easy to be left holding the bag, so to speak. We've all seen roll call members promise to show up at Meet & Greets, events on ship, and they flake out, so that's why I'm so wary. Med tours are expensive, so how do you know people will be true to their word? Also, how do you know that these people will have similar ideas about touring that you have? Some want to linger at sites, some want to push forward, some want to have a long lunch, etc. You could end up with a very miserable tour from differing expectations.

Yes, it would be nice to save some money by tour sharing, but I'm really torn about it.

Hi Cruisemom,

How much time will you have in Israel? I did a 12 day land tour in 2006. I could provide you the tour company we used, but I just don't know if they could customize a shorter stay. I believe they mostly do "pilgrimage" tours, but I could find out.:)

thanks, I appreciate the offer -- but I've already been in touch with a couple of agencies and tour guides in Israel and there is just not a lot of variation in pricing for the itinerary I want. The fact is that it's a $500 tour, more or less, whether it's for one person or 4. Just hard to make economic sense for one!

We have taken a number of private excursions over the last few years. We have always had everyone show up.

As to disagreements over the itinerary, for all our tours, someone has planned them, found a guide/driver, and priced the tour. They then posted this info on the Roll Call and said who wants to join. So there was never an agrument over where to go. If you don't like the planned excursion, you just don't sign up.

Any words of wisdom on DIY in Israel? That's where I'm running into problems......

Have similar problems with Israel - main problem being that the private tours are charging the same as Princess for their tours. So If theres only 1 or 2 people their opting for the cruise tours.

I'm also still waiting to hear back from people on my roll call who have shown interest but not come back with confirmation if they wish to join up or not, so feel I have to wait for them to make up their minds whilst I'm ready to go ahead and reserve tours.:rolleyes:

Babs

Crown Princess June 2007

Navigator of the Seas February 2008

Emerald Princess August 2008

Grand Princess May 2009

upcoming Pacific Princess July 2010

but for our Med cruise we are booking thru the ship as there could be time or language problems. I am sure I will hate the big busses but better safe than trying to catch up at the next port.

I know everyone has to decide what works best for them, but just in case you are still on the fence at all, there are several very good, highly recommended companies that provide tours in most of the Med ports. I have been reading CC for around 5 years now and I can't think of a single instance where the top tour agencies got someone back to the ship late. Of course there is no guarantee, but I venture to guess it is as likely that you'd run into a rogue wave as be left at the port with a well-recommended private tour provider.

They speak excellent English, BTW. :)

We do a lot of independent travel in Europe (port days and long driving trips) and the only place we have ever had a language problem was in London. It seems like nobody speaks English in London these days.

Hank

Cruisemom and Hiltner,

You both seem to know a great deal about Med. ports.

We will be going in August, what do you know about these ports:

Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Tunis/Carthage, Tunisia

Trapani, Sicily

THANKS

Cruisemom and Hiltner,

You both seem to know a great deal about Med. ports.

We will be going in August, what do you know about these ports:

Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Tunis/Carthage, Tunisia

Trapani, Sicily

THANKS

Bobalink, I have to admit that I'm more into the Eastern Med, so I haven't yet made it to the ports you listed. However, if you read the review (link below) from CoralReef, you'll find great DIY info for Tunis (for Carthage) and Palma de Mallorca. I would have no problem trusting her recommendations, as I've followed them for other ports in the past:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1004024

As for Trapani, I'm hoping to get there soon to see the beautiful Greek temples at Segesta and Selinunte. I've seen private tours to these sites from various Sicilian tour agencies. Not sure if you could do them both in a day on your own, but you could definitely get to Segesta.

Bobalink, I have to admit that I'm more into the Eastern Med, so I haven't yet made it to the ports you listed. However, if you read the review (link below) from CoralReef, you'll find great DIY info for Tunis (for Carthage) and Palma de Mallorca. I would have no problem trusting her recommendations, as I've followed them for other ports in the past:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1004024

As for Trapani, I'm hoping to get there soon to see the beautiful Greek temples at Segesta and Selinunte. I've seen private tours to these sites from various Sicilian tour agencies. Not sure if you could do them both in a day on your own, but you could definitely get to Segesta.

Cruisemom,

THANKS for the information and the link. It will be very helpful!

Hiya Nerys, it's me!!! See you've hopped over to Princess too (was IOS so bad??) We're going to the Med this summer too and our thread has about three people on it. We're not planning any trips, just going for the cruise. I do think a lot of us are a bit fed up of the same old med ports, so don't bother too much. Also we have worked out that we can almost do an easyjet weekend break for the cost of some of the trips. And I hate the risk of missing the ship (St Petersburg returns to mind!!!) Will email you now!

Hiya Nerys, it's me!!! See you've hopped over to Princess too (was IOS so bad??) We're going to the Med this summer too and our thread has about three people on it. We're not planning any trips, just going for the cruise. I do think a lot of us are a bit fed up of the same old med ports, so don't bother too much. Also we have worked out that we can almost do an easyjet weekend break for the cost of some of the trips. And I hate the risk of missing the ship (St Petersburg returns to mind!!!) Will email you now!

Hi Sally!!!

Princess was the first cruise we did.......have also done Celebrity....and of course RCI.

The main reason for the shared tours...was to try and do 'different' things in ports which have been frequented by passengers multiple times...i.e Livorno to Sienna and Barcelona to Girona/Costa Brava. Oh well, here's crossing fingers for a sudden influx!!

N xx

Archived