Are people just not tour sharing?

nerysj

We have posted on CC and shared private excursions for the last 3 years on various ships - very successfully. This year on the Grand Princess (24 July) from Southampton to the Med........we have had very little response. Are people doing less tours, be they ship or private excursions these days? Is this how people keep their costs down? I'm at a loss as to why people don't want to share tours and keep the costs down (whilst enjoying a more private tour)?

Any ideas?

Thanks

I think the OP's question was more directed at why people seem less willing (or, in fact, thrilled) to share private tours. I have sensed the same change.

Perhaps universal access to internet has both made it easier for individuals to book their own private tours and also made independent travel easier. Especially in cities it is so easy to get the bus and subway routes in advance, as well as information about the sites, so tourists may be better equipped to manage without a tour guide.

Bill

Out of curiosity, I just checked your roll call--I think part of it with that particular trip is that there aren't very many people on the roll call (12 groups, I think?). Of those people, some are a large enough group to tour all by themselves, and some stated that they've been there before and just want to walk around and relax. Others haven't been to those ports before and have some other choice in mind. For example, I've been to Livorno and Barcelona before, and I have to say that for my first time there, I wouldn't do what you have chosen, but now that I've been there, I would very likely join you. It just takes the right circumstances and combination of people with the same likes/dislikes.

For instance, on our last cruise, we were interested in snorkeling in every port, preferably at the non-crowded, non-excursion places. Very few people on our roll call had the same intentions. Once we got on board and hit a few places, we kept running into the same people at each of our places--we had the same agendas and would have joined each other on excursions in a heartbeat, but they weren't on the roll call (in fact, hadn't ever heard of cruise critic).

I think for the size group you have on the roll call, you actually have a good response to your tours, and will probably have more as you get closer to sailing.

Out of curiosity, I just checked your roll call--I think part of it with that particular trip is that there aren't very many people on the roll call (12 groups, I think?). Of those people, some are a large enough group to tour all by themselves, and some stated that they've been there before and just want to walk around and relax. Others haven't been to those ports before and have some other choice in mind. For example, I've been to Livorno and Barcelona before, and I have to say that for my first time there, I wouldn't do what you have chosen, but now that I've been there, I would very likely join you. It just takes the right circumstances and combination of people with the same likes/dislikes.

For instance, on our last cruise, we were interested in snorkeling in every port, preferably at the non-crowded, non-excursion places. Very few people on our roll call had the same intentions. Once we got on board and hit a few places, we kept running into the same people at each of our places--we had the same agendas and would have joined each other on excursions in a heartbeat, but they weren't on the roll call (in fact, hadn't ever heard of cruise critic).

I think for the size group you have on the roll call, you actually have a good response to your tours, and will probably have more as you get closer to sailing.

We have been to most of the ports before, so we have set up 'different' tours to try an make this a 'different' trip. One couple on our roll call have cancelled their cruise..and they were included on two of our trips.

It's such a difference between last year than this....and such a quiet roll call too.

Thanks for your response.

Last year on our British Isles cruise, it definitely seemed like a lot of people came out of the woodwork at the last minute to join the Roll Call and look for private tours. The trouble (for them) was that us early birds had already lined up all the best private tour operators, and there weren't many others to choose from in some of our ports.

I guess one question is whether or not you are willing to take the initiative, line up the tours and then sit back and hope for others to join the Roll Call and share with you. Obviously if you do this, you need to know the tour operator's cancellation policy. Some people even came to the first Meet and Mingle onboard and announced they were looking for others to share. It's partly a question of how much you're willing to bear the financial risk if you don't find others. Also, some ports have a lot more options for private tours than others. Good luck!

I guess one question is whether or not you are willing to take the initiative, line up the tours and then sit back and hope for others to join the Roll Call and share with you. Obviously if you do this, you need to know the tour operator's cancellation policy. Some people even came to the first Meet and Mingle onboard and announced they were looking for others to share. It's partly a question of how much you're willing to bear the financial risk if you don't find others. Also, some ports have a lot more options for private tours than others. Good luck!

I did take the plunge and booked four private tours - the problem has been getting others to join! There's three months to go.......so I am hoping others will join to keep the cost down, and also I find it great fun to go with people you 'know' beforehand.

Thanks

Nerys

Last year on our British Isles cruise, it definitely seemed like a lot of people came out of the woodwork at the last minute to join the Roll Call and look for private tours. The trouble (for them) was that us early birds had already lined up all the best private tour operators, and there weren't many others to choose from in some of our ports.

I have done something similar -- have investigated several private tours and posted on my roll call (but have not actually pulled the trigger and booked, since I am traveling solo and don't want to be on the hook for the entire tour). However, I understand that not everyone wants to do the things I want to do in port. I may have to "give up" some of my must sees in order to accomodate others.....:(

I think a big part of the problem could be that the majority of people that have booked the Grand this summer are from the UK. There aren't a lot of British on these boards. Maybe there's a more UK-based bulletin board where you can post the tours?

I've been booked for over a year on my Med. cruise and those of us on the roll call are just now getting the private tours filled. I've heard the last month is when the most people try to join the private tours. Good luck!

There aren't a lot of British on these boards.

Maybe there's a more UK-based bulletin board where you can post the tours?

There is cruise.co.uk...........BUT that's even quieter!!! I'm just hoping it'll hot up soon on CC!!

Thanks

Nerys:)

There are also more and more cruisers who have previously traveled in Europe and do not use any tours (me). We help a lot of folks on the port forums with detailed info on how to do ports on your own and save lots of money.

Hank

There are also more and more cruisers who have previously traveled in Europe and do not use any tours (me). We help a lot of folks on the port forums with detailed info on how to do ports on your own and save lots of money.

Hank

Any words of wisdom on DIY in Israel? That's where I'm running into problems......

We have been to most of the ports before, so we have set up 'different' tours to try an make this a 'different' trip. One couple on our roll call have cancelled their cruise..and they were included on two of our trips.

It's such a difference between last year than this....and such a quiet roll call too.

Thanks for your response.

We too have a pretty quiet board for our Iberian cruise out of Southampton. I think much of the reason is that people have been to many of the ports and just want to do their own thing. The opposite extreme is represented by most of the independent tours I've researched - they are full day marathons which cover all the major sights in the area.

Our idea of cruising is to have part of the day for tours, and choose those which provide a little more of the local culture than the typical tourist fly-by of the attractions. For instance a highlight of our Aegean/Egypt cruise was an afternoon in Athens where we relaxed with a drink, explored a nearby Greek historical site, and had a relaxed lunch in an outdoor restaurant, talking some with the waiter.

But to your point, people have different tastes and experiences, and often tours just don't cover what people want to see this time around.

Another option is to contact the tour company and ask them if they have been contacted by others interested in booking the tour. Often they will put you in touch with the people and you can get together for a reduced rate. We did this in St Petersburg when we toured with Red October. We were able to combine our group of 3 with another group of 3. The another group of 4 from cruise critic joined us. As a result we had a great tour for 10 at an even better price.

I have always lined up tours ahead of time and shared the information on cc. I agree that if you do it early you have a better chance of getting the best guides.

The tours have always filled up with people that would like the same experiences. The only thing that really annoys me are the people who say they want to join a tour and then just don't show up.

Any ideas for that?

The only thing that really annoys me are the people who say they want to join a tour and then just don't show up.

Any ideas for that?

Many of the independent tour operators are now asking for credit card holds and you should get holds for each party that signs up for the private excursion. It protects the organizer and the tour company. If those joining you won't share in the risk, you may not want to include them in your group.

Our roll call (Ruby Grand Med July 4) is very busy with people sharing tours (small, large, inexpensive, expensive, etc).

Many people who visit around Great Britain like the Hop-On-Hop-Off buses and an all day card for that is quite reasonable and very versatile.

Of course not all places have that, Dover for one had that in 2003 and it was wonderful but no longer in 2008 and thus other arrangements have to be made.

Dublin and Edinburgh and many other cities have some wonderful hoho buses and you can buy a card that includes as many as 4 routes.

Sometimes, you walk on to the place and see a bus and a sign, something like 20 GB pounds for a nice tour and grab it and it turns out great. No point then in committing yourself when you just find fantastic opportunities purely by chance.

I have been wondering about this very same thing. I had a great experience last year on CC coordinating excursions for our Baltic cruise on Princess. We met wonderful people and shared some great excursions. Also, had a fun Meet and Greet that I helped with.

This year, I hoped to have the same experience in sharing excursions for our W. Med. cruise on HAL. No response at all! I thought it had something to do with the itinerary, because there is alot of overlapping. The first segment of the cruise has lots of activity on their roll call. My segment is in the middle and our roll call is practically dead. I am not sure if it is the cruise line, the itinerary or what.

Guess we will just plan on taking independent excursions on our own, but it would sure be nice to share the expense and the experience with others.

Happy cruising!

I have been wondering about this very same thing. I had a great experience last year on CC coordinating excursions for our Baltic cruise on Princess. We met wonderful people and shared some great excursions. Also, had a fun Meet and Greet that I helped with.

This year, I hoped to have the same experience in sharing excursions for our W. Med. cruise on HAL. No response at all! I thought it had something to do with the itinerary, because there is alot of overlapping. The first segment of the cruise has lots of activity on their roll call. My segment is in the middle and our roll call is practically dead. I am not sure if it is the cruise line, the itinerary or what.

Guess we will just plan on taking independent excursions on our own, but it would sure be nice to share the expense and the experience with others.

Happy cruising!

It was a Baltic cruise last year that we did tour shares on too........and yes, I can understand that people would want to share tours in St Petersburg, Berlin etc-hence more tour shares last year, but I wasn't expecting such a poor response to Med tours. I'm just hoping for a sudden rush..........soon!!

Any words of wisdom on DIY in Israel? That's where I'm running into problems......

Can't help you since we have yet to go to Israel but you should be able to get some good advice on the port forum.

Hank

Hi Cruisemom,

How much time will you have in Israel? I did a 12 day land tour in 2006. I could provide you the tour company we used, but I just don't know if they could customize a shorter stay. I believe they mostly do "pilgrimage" tours, but I could find out.:)

Archived