Travel From Ft Lauderdale to Port Canaveral/Allure to Freedom

julesbeara

Need some advice. Thinking about getting off the Allure on December 5th in Ft Lauderdale and flying to Port Canaveral to board the Freedom. How has the debarkation off the Oasis been? Wondering if we catch an early flight out of FLL can make it to Port Canaveral in time? If I use custom air thru RCCL will it help?

You would be better off driving to Pt. Canaveral. It's only about a two to two and a half hour drive right up I-95. By the time that you check into FLL airport and fly to Orlando and then drive the 45 minute drive to the port, you could have rented a car and driven for much less money. There are car rental agencies near the port that will drop you off.

We did the self assist debarkation in January on the Oasis and were off the ship by 6:20 that morning.

Edited by cruisingator2

Need some advice. Thinking about getting off the Allure on December 5th in Ft Lauderdale and flying to Port Canaveral to board the Freedom. How has the debarkation off the Oasis been? Wondering if we catch an early flight out of FLL can make it to Port Canaveral in time? If I use custom air thru RCCL will it help?

Have you checked the flight schedules and price of flying from FLL to Orlando and factored in the time involved in getting from Orlando to Port Canaveral? You might be better off renting a car and driving to PC. The total time required, might not be that much longer and it will probably be less difficult.

All reports from Oasis regarding debarkation have been quite favorable and early debarkation should allow you to get to Port Canaveral by mid-afternoon. It might be a bit tight but probably no more so than if you try to get to the airport, catch a flight to MCO and get ground transportation to the ship. Perhaps a Floridian can give you a better estimate of the time required to drive from Ft. Lauderdale to Port Canaveral. Not sure what Custom Air can do for you unless you can't get favorable air on your own.:)

I also agree, it would be much, much easier to rent a car and drive up to Port Canaveral. It is a very easy drive up 95. You can choose the option of walking off the ship first and then arranging a car rental. If all works right, you could be at the Freedom by noon.

Don't be silly, EASY drive, can't even get lost.

Exit Port Everglades on SR84 west, goes directly to I-95, head north, 2.5 hrs, exit SR528 East, goes right to port, see ship on your left.

I lived in both Ft Lauderdale and now near Port Canaveral (couple miles away)

One day, one way car rental will be WAY CHEAPER, even including gas, than flying.

To fly you'll pay transport to FLL, airfare and then transport for the 45 min ride to Port Canaveral

Where would be the best place to pick-up a rental car when we get off the Allure in Fort Lauderdale? At the airport? When you do self debarkation off the ship you take all your luggage of yourself, correct (nothing is put outside the night before)? How easy is it to be the 1st people off the ship?

Edited by julesbeara

We drove from Port Canaveral to Miami to get on Voyager way back when and it only took three hours there. I am sure with early disembarkation and the three hour drive to Port Canaveral you will get on Freedom in plenty of time.

By the time you get to the FL airport, go through security, wait for plane, fly to Orlando, get off and get luggage, take 50 minute drive from Orlando to Port Canaveral, you can make the drive.

Have fun.

Tim

• 6 years later...
You would be better off driving to Pt. Canaveral. It's only about a two to two and a half hour drive right up I-95. By the time that you check into FLL airport and fly to Orlando and then drive the 45 minute drive to the port, you could have rented a car and driven for much less money. There are car rental agencies near the port that will drop you off.

We did the self assist debarkation in January on the Oasis and were off the ship by 6:20 that morning.

I realize that this is an old post but does anyone know if you can use the elevators for "self assist debarkation" and what the times are? Thank you!!! Can't find link to post a new thread.

Sorry it's 3 1/2 hours. We live by PC and drive to Miami to cruise periodically. That is without delays caused by accidents on 95.

Apologies, did not see date of OP!

Edited by Scotty G
apology

I realize that this is an old post but does anyone know if you can use the elevators for "self assist debarkation" and what the times are? Thank you!!! Can't find link to post a new thread.

We were on the allure the first of May. Self assist was scheduled from 6:30 am to 8:00 am. Going by previous self assist experience elevators usage is allowed, both on the ship and in terminal.

Edited by Ja2012

The time we did self assist people were NOT being allowed to use the elevators.

(weirdly, that was on a Royal cruise that ended in Fort Lauderdale and we were driving up to PC to board Disney Dream! so original, but old, thread and the new question coincided LOL)

Edited by mollyeilis

FOS is moving to FLL 11/5/16.