advice for traveling alone

traveled

I an a recent widow. My husband and I took many cruises and I would like to try it as a single. I am worried about dining arrangements etc. because I do not want to be the third person that feels uncomfortable. We always had suites and I do not know which category to now try. Any suggestions would help.

I an a recent widow. My husband and I took many cruises and I would like to try it as a single. I am worried about dining arrangements etc. because I do not want to be the third person that feels uncomfortable. We always had suites and I do not know which category to now try. Any suggestions would help.

I always sail solo and have been in every category of cabin (Inside, Oceanview, Balcony) except for the Penthouse. If you like more space definitely go for the larger cabins...if you don't mind closed spaces then try and inside room. IMHO with the exception of the rooms at the very front of the ship, they are all good rooms. Just be prepared to pay the single supplement for whatever you decide.

As for dining suggestions, try a table for 8 or 10. That way there will be plenty of people to talk to and you won't feel like the odd person out.

Happy cruising! :)

You may want to head over to the Solo Cruising board...lots of nice people there with experience sailing solo on a number of different cruise lines. Many of the posters are single women.

Roz

My sympathies on your loss. I am here to tell you, though, that there is a cruising life after widowhood. The first cruise will be difficult, but it gets easier with each successive cruise.

For dinner, might I suggest fixed seating at a table for six or eight, preferably six. At a table for six there are enough people that there's good conversation, but not so many that you can't all participate. At a table for eight it can be hard to hear.

Go to the activities that you enjoy, and get to know the other participants.

You may find you have to try harder to reach out and find companions than you did as half a couple. Swallow hard, stick your chin out, and go.

Best wishes to you.

My sympathies on your loss. I am here to tell you, though, that there is a cruising life after widowhood. The first cruise will be difficult, but it gets easier with each successive cruise.

For dinner, might I suggest fixed seating at a table for six or eight, preferably six. At a table for six there are enough people that there's good conversation, but not so many that you can't all participate. At a table for eight it can be hard to hear.

Go to the activities that you enjoy, and get to know the other participants.

You may find you have to try harder to reach out and find companions than you did as half a couple. Swallow hard, stick your chin out, and go.

Best wishes to you.

Wonderful advice, Ruth. You are such a kind person.

Good advice Ruth! I also, am sorry for your loss. My husband passed away 27 years ago. I give you credit for wanting to carry on with something you love, alone.

You just might though, have a friend, or relative that might love to go along too, have you thought of that? My granddaughter is just itching to go with me next year.

Karen

At our Cruise Critic meet and greets, there seems always to be a few solos and the group tends to adopt them. You will find someone whose husband doesn't want to go to tea or play bingo. We like to invite a single person to joing us at trivia etc. See, we all have a very nice hobby--cruising and just like to get together with others who like it too! Don't feel like a third person. You are just a fellow cruiser. Perhaps Queen Karen will join in on this post and tell you about her Down Under cruise as a solo. She made many friends. Don't forget you will have to pay extra for the room because you are one person.

Many cruises ago, we (I and my sister) shared a table with a half dozen widows and divorcees. One of the widow made a statement I have never forgot: 'The best day of my life was when I realized that I didn't need anyone else to define who I am. The second best day was when I realized I never had'. I usually travel solo, and ask for a large table. Last fall we had another table of widows...and they had sooo much fun! EM

My sympathies on your loss. Based on my personal experience, I'd suggest that you try a different type of cabin, at least for your first "go" at travelling solo. Just so you are not constantly looking at some part of the cabin and thinking "gee, we used to ..... ". Request a table for 6, so that conversation is relatively easy. If you don't care for the first table mates, you can always request a change with the Maitre D'

Also, if you are attending a bereavement support group, what about suggesting that the group take a cruise? I know that MANY people in bereavement support get very close, form deep friendships -- you may be surprised at the number of members who are interested.

My sympathies on your loss also.

Having just completed my first solo cruise I can say it was nothing but WONDERFUL!!

Participating in the cruise roll call was a major part of it......I felt like I knew the people before I even boarded the ship.

I arranged to eat at a table for 8 which included some CC members....as well as others and that worked out very well.

I was included in everything and NEVER felt alone or left out. Cruisers, for the most part, are wonderful and welcoming.

I book the least expensive room possible (and was happily upgraded to a window) and will be fine with that. There is LOTS of space when you are alone......even an extra bed to pile things on!!

I have no reservations now about going solo again.......except for the cost!!

I am also a new widow, and recently booked a meditteranean HAL cruise. We liked Oceania, so cruised there often, but this trip the timing didn't work. However, I posted on the Oceania board that it would be nice if there was a singles table at dinner, so we wouldn't feel like 'third wheels'. The president of the cruise line came on and said it was an excellent idea, and he would be talking to the staff about implementing it right away.

I wonder if HAL would consider the same idea? I am sure we widows would have a great time.

My sympathies for your loss. And, good for you for planning the future!

I've taken many cruises, most with HAL, and always have cruised solo. As others have said, cruising solo is actually lots of fun. Most cruisers are generous and inclusive, I've found. And I can be completely selfish about what I want to do and when I want to do it!

I always look for and find "bingo buddies" and "martini mates". For me, though, I do ask for a table for six or eight, but try to sit at a table with a mixture of folks, not all other solos. It seems to work better for me. Maybe I just was unlucky with a couple of bad experiences...both of which I remedied rather quickly with the Dining Room Manager. I definitely prefer fixed seating. It's just easier to get to know the people at your table that way. And don't worry if your waitlisted for the seating you want. In all my cruises, the Dining Room Manager has always been able to find a spot for me.

Enjoy your cruise, they'll just get better and better!

I, too, am a widow facing a first solo cruise. Mostly, I abhor the single supplement. Recently, prior to a HAL baltic cruise I met a lovely couple on the board prior to our sailing, and we have become fast friends. Methinks this would certainly be a possibility, thus avoiding the dreaded supplement for two single cruisers. I'd be open to exchanging emails, and possibly even arranging a meeting before cruising together, if anyone is interested. Presently, I'm interested in the HAL 69 day Asia and Australia leaving Seattle Sept. 24th returning to San Diego Dec. 2, 2010. I may be reached at n.mcquarrie@insightbb.com Thanks!

we live 4000 mi apart most all year..(his work) I have had only 7 cabin mates for my last 28 cruzes, and that was just of recent. I book G'tee, get upgrades, and get a 10 top table. Never a loss for tag-a-longs if I wish.DH doestn like cruzing, and I dont like staying home, so I cruze almost every month, and Europe in the summer. With 2 coming up in 3 wks, TA/Spain and B2B Med, my pal and I will have a great time. We are living the dash---------------------!

Here lies LUCKYCRUZER

1944-------------------------------------------------------???????

I had planned a cruise for this summer for my husband, my daughter and myself. In January he suddenly had a sudden massive heart attack and passed away. We were devastated.

I asked my daughter if she wanted to go to Disney this summer (just to get away). She insisted on a cruise so I booked one.. leaving on her birthday which just so happened to be his birthday, May 27th.

I am a little leery as she is special needs and she doesn't speak well. I requested a larger table for dinner hoping we can find some people to have conversation with. I have my fingers crossed.

The rest of the time we have shore excursions planned and we can sit by the pool and read. I'm really hoping this works out.

NYGirl1002, sympathy to you on your loss. I think you will find the crew VERY helpful with your daughter. If you haven't yet, check out your roll call -- you can connect there with people so you won't feel quite to alone on the ship, y'know? Maybe even some with kids around your daughter's age.

It will be fine. It will be difficult, no doubt, but you will manage. It astonishes me how strong and resilient people are :)

Dear NYGirl1002 (Fran),

I am so sorry for your loss. Seeing your cruise history reminded me we met on the Miracle last summer (we met after muster drill at the planned roll call meeting and again waiting on line for dinner one night). Hope you and your daughter have a lovely time on your upcoming cruise -- I suggest you consider doing some new things (excursions, activities, whatever) that you and your husband would not have done. It will add to the adventure and maybe help you miss him less.

Best wishes,

Carol Louise

Archived