Mariner leaving :( West Coast is sad

On a Mariner cruise last year I had a chance to speak with the Captain. He said that one issue with having Mariner on the WC is that there isn't a commercial dry dock that can handle the ship.

I have not read the entire thread...and maybe this has already been addressed. The west coast of the United States has one drydock that will handle the Mariner, and that is Dillingham Shipyards in Honolulu.

They have handled the largest warships that we have, but maybe RCCL has ships (not the Oasis Class, or even Freedom class) that cannot be touched by such a large shipyard.

This is just another fubar by the present President of the line. For the life of me, I do not understand why he still is in charge.

The Mariner should have never come to the West Coast. He continually makes mistakes, and gets away with them.

Sure, we will miss the Mariner, and her wonderful crew. We said good bye.....well not exactly......we just stayed aboard the Monarch when she went thru the Panama Canal.

Mr. Goldstein took the Monarch from us........saying it was a money loser.

Why would he take something that cost less, made more money, and replace it with a monstrosity.......that most of us knew from the beginning was one of RCCL's biggest mistakes.........and now leave's his loyal Left Coast regulars...with nothing!!

Let's get Jack Williams back on the board. He ran a tight ship as the CEO of RCCL and Celebrity. He does not need day to day hands on....but he would be such a great help to RCCL.

It would also be prudent on the City of Los Angeles to know that with the increased docking fees.......they are losing customers........like RCCL and CCL...and others, due to increased fees. That's nuts. I sure think that the California congressional nuts are part of what is driving the cruising industry away.

As I mentioned at the beginning......I have not read the whole thread, but I will, from this point, continue to read, and maybe someone will enlighten me.......from what I feel, and have said.

Rick

Now that I have read "the rest of the story"........I have to agree with Mike.

I feel very sorry for many of those on the Mariner.......that have not made commissions........but only base wages.

There is so much that we, as passengers, do not know......and that we do not have a need to know.

I know more than most passengers, as I'm both a TA..........and have many friends aboard almost 50% of the fleet, that stay in touch.

We will continue to enjoy the Mariner of the Seas.....while she is here.

Someday..........I will tell a story of why Princess is so successful! It was started by a friend of my brothers.........and at dinner one evening.......a movie producer introduced himself...............and the story took life.

I was called "The Love Boat"

Where did the cruises start from???

Why was it successful??

RCCL.......you can't even live a dream!

We will hit 100 cruise credits with you.........shortly.

And...........then....if you want to treat us lke that.

The next money goes to whom ever treats us better than you. We have given you our total support........and what you are giving back is nothing.

I'm not going to hold judgement........until I hear what will be replacing the Mariner..........and what will be given to the West Coast fans that have cruises in place.........that will not be honored.

Rick

This is awful. :eek: I'm booked for April 2011, and I booked 18 mo's ago.

I'm not supposed to be in pressurized cabins, so all my cruises have to be West coast.

They're taking CCL Elation, RCI Radiance, and for awhile CCL Spirit out of San Diego. Now they're taking Mariner ? ! :(

Tried Splendor--not for us.

I had a feeling this would happen.

Pat

That should be a sign that things are not going well for the cruise lines on the west coast.

I think this is EXACTLY the reason. Our economy here is absolutely clobbered. Its ironic that I came to this thread looking for information about the MARINER as she passed us on her way to the Mexican Riviera when I was on the SPLENDOR in September. I was thinking about "jumping ship" for a change and seeking more information on the MARINER. Beautiful ship in more of a hurry to make her first port, Los Cabos, than we were. I took a few pics of her as she went by the SPLENDOR (in my webshots below).

I was pleasantly surprised at some of the pricing I received for the MARINER. Usually cruise solo and Carnival gives up some great solo pricing, but the MARINER was right in tune with the SPLENDOR pricing I received last September.

If the MARINER goes, So Cal will be hurting for cruise ships. As others have noted, the CCL ELATION left some time ago, the SPIRIT does the summers in Alaska, which only leaves the SPLENDOR and the PARADISE (doing 3 and 4 dayers) here in the summer time. If California's economy doesn't come around eventually (22 BILLION going to be piled onto the 42 BILLION deficit this year alone ! ! ) it won't matter much as there will be no one to cruise.

I hope RCI finds a good replacement for the MARINER. So Cal needs competition in this very big market that serves Arizona and Nevada as well. :)

I am bummed. I don't get it. But I guess it all about the $$$. Maybe they will send us a Vision class ship. At least that would be something. Or maybe the Viking Serenade will come back LOL.

One can only hope that the Viking Serenade will be back.

Sorry everyone, but we are not getting a Royal Caribbean ship on the West Coast. Why not send an email to Adam Goldstein agoldstein@rccl.com and tell him your feelings. Let's support Carnival, Princess and Holland America because they are supporting us.

I think this is EXACTLY the reason. Our economy here is absolutely clobbered. Its ironic that I came to this thread looking for information about the MARINER as she passed us on her way to the Mexican Riviera when I was on the SPLENDOR in September. I was thinking about "jumping ship" for a change and seeking more information on the MARINER. Beautiful ship in more of a hurry to make her first port, Los Cabos, than we were. I took a few pics of her as she went by the SPLENDOR (in my webshots below).

I was pleasantly surprised at some of the pricing I received for the MARINER. Usually cruise solo and Carnival gives up some great solo pricing, but the MARINER was right in tune with the SPLENDOR pricing I received last September.

If the MARINER goes, So Cal will be hurting for cruise ships. As others have noted, the CCL ELATION left some time ago, the SPIRIT does the summers in Alaska, which only leaves the SPLENDOR and the PARADISE (doing 3 and 4 dayers) here in the summer time. If California's economy doesn't come around eventually (22 BILLION going to be piled onto the 42 BILLION deficit this year alone ! ! ) it won't matter much as there will be no one to cruise.

I hope RCI finds a good replacement for the MARINER. So Cal needs competition in this very big market that serves Arizona and Nevada as well. :)

The Elation hasn't left yet. She leaves in a week though. Her last cruise out of San Diego will be on 4/30.

The Elation hasn't left yet. She leaves in a week though. Her last cruise out of San Diego will be on 4/30.

Ooops . . . my bad. :oSorry, Spencer. I thought she was scheduled to leave the end of March. I cruised her last October, too. Beautiful for an older Carnival class and has all the refurbs done on her, too. :)

Someone just posted on the Carnival board that they have already raised the prices for the Splendor starting for next January. Carnival has to be loving this.

Big Time!!!!!:rolleyes:

I wonder where the nut that keep riding me about how if the Mariner comes to the West Coast someone will build a dry dock for it. Well it came, but the dry dock didn't. And now its gone.

I don't think Ericsocal or something like that maybe socaleric doesn't post here anymore. He used to harp on this constantly.

I remember many many threads on the topic of how RCI couldn't fail if they brought a Voyager class to So-Cal. I remember using logic to explain the giant hurdles that RCI would have to jump in order to make it work, some of those points were, dry dock capacity, the Panama Canal, Cape Horn, or around the world, and the limited options for ports of call. I don't think he ever conceded the logic on any of my points. I used to cringe when he would start another thread or hijack another thread. :D

jc

One can only hope that the Viking Serenade will be back.

Sorry everyone, but we are not getting a Royal Caribbean ship on the West Coast. Why not send an email to Adam Goldstein agoldstein@rccl.com and tell him your feelings. Let's support Carnival, Princess and Holland America because they are supporting us.

I'm sure he knows and perhaps even sympathizes with your feelings, but if your support for Carnival, Princess and Holland America are as anemic as it apparently was for the Mariner how long do you think that they will continue to support you. Possibly that support is sufficient for the number of ships that will continue to sail out of California but unless it is, you can probably expect to lose more ships before you gain any.

Our deployment decision reflects both strategic and financial considerations. Royal Caribbean has had a major presence at the Port of Los Angeles and on the west coast of Mexico for many years with various ships and it is our hope to return in the not too distant future. Our preference would have been to continue to deliver Mariner of the Seas’ Mexico Riviera itinerary. Unfortunately, while the ship delivered great value to its guests on that itinerary, it will deliver superior performance for our shareholders as well as great value for our guests on the routes that we have announced today.

something i found on google

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mariner of the Seas will sail its final round-trip Mexican Riviera itinerary from Los Angeles on January 9, 2011.

Bottom line, RCI tried to bring a nice larger ship to the west coast. It didn't work for many reasons. I believe that the timing was part of it. The H1N1 flu, economic disaster and now the issues in Mexico did it in. I give them credit for trying it.

The ships have to make money and this is a large ship to sit there on the west coast and not bring in the numbers. I noticed that even NCL pulled the Star out of the market until late this year. Time will tell if Carnival keeps a ship the size of the Splendor in this market. It will help now that RCI is gone but they will to complete at times with HAL, Princess and NCL.

I know all the WCers are sad but in Louisiana and Texas this is Fantastic news! After RCI pulled out of NOLA following Katrina we've been hoping they'd put a new ship there. Can't believe it's going to be Voyager class!!

Honestly I figured they'd move a Voyager class to tampa and Granduer to NOLA but, woohoo!!

As for the west coast...don't worry... you'll get a new ship... might take a couple years but you'll get one. It's too big a market to be seriously ignore for long.

Actually if I was RCI CEO, with the withdraw of all the other ships in the market I'd seriously rethink this idea.

I have not read the entire thread...and maybe this has already been addressed. The west coast of the United States has one drydock that will handle the Mariner, and that is Dillingham Shipyards in Honolulu.

Rick

This is a point I kept making. However, there is some schmuck on these boards who keep riding me. He felt if the Mariner came out to California, someone would built a dry dock for it.

Well, the Mariner came, but the dry dock didn't, and now the Mariner is leaving.

I know all the WCers are sad but in Louisiana and Texas this is Fantastic news! After RCI pulled out of NOLA following Katrina we've been hoping they'd put a new ship there. Can't believe it's going to be Voyager class!!

Honestly I figured they'd move a Voyager class to tampa and Granduer to NOLA but, woohoo!!

As for the west coast...don't worry... you'll get a new ship... might take a couple years but you'll get one. It's too big a market to be seriously ignore for long.

Actually if I was RCI CEO, with the withdraw of all the other ships in the market I'd seriously rethink this idea.

Voyager class will not fit under the Sunshine Skyway bridge in Tampa due to their height.

There is also HAL, NCL and Princess. And when the Mariner leaves, the Disney Wonder will arrive to take its place.

It is true that during the summer Carnival has a monopoly on cruises to the Mexican Riviera. However, up until the summer of 2008, that was always true.

I was booked on the Mariner for April 2011. Now I'm booked on a more interesting itinerary on the HAL Oosterdam sailing out of San Diego. While I would like to try the Carnival Splendor (my first Mexican Riviera cruise, which I really enjoyed, was on the Pride in May 2004), it is not the only game in town.

I don't think Ericsocal or something like that maybe socaleric doesn't post here anymore. He used to harp on this constantly.

I remember many many threads on the topic of how RCI couldn't fail if they brought a Voyager class to So-Cal. I remember using logic to explain the giant hurdles that RCI would have to jump in order to make it work, some of those points were, dry dock capacity, the Panama Canal, Cape Horn, or around the world, and the limited options for ports of call. I don't think he ever conceded the logic on any of my points. I used to cringe when he would start another thread or hijack another thread. :D

jc

I don't remember the person's name. But you are right, he had no trouble spending millions of someone else's money.

The problem with the west coast is simple. How many times do you want to visit Cabo, Mazatlan and PV? Even if you are on a different ship, it is the same three cities. Okay, Splendor goes PV, Mazatlan, Cabo and the Mariner when Cabo, Mazatlan and PV, but even a six year old is going to figure out it is the same three cities, just in a different order.

The variety of choices from Los Angeles and San Diego do not match the variety of choices from Miami. Also, Cozumel is closer to Miami than Cabo is to either Los Angeles or San Diego (even when going down hill).

I don't think a Voyager class ship will fit under the bridge in Tampa.

There is also HAL, NCL and Princess. And when the Mariner leaves, the Disney Wonder will arrive to take its place.

It is true that during the summer Carnival has a monopoly on cruises to the Mexican Riviera. However, up until the summer of 2008, that was always true.

I was booked on the Mariner for April 2011. Now I'm booked on a more interesting itinerary on the HAL Oosterdam sailing out of San Diego. While I would like to try the Carnival Splendor (my first Mexican Riviera cruise, which I really enjoyed, was on the Pride in May 2004), it is not the only game in town.

Tht is true about the Disney Wonder, for got she was going there, she should visit New York :);):D:rolleyes::o

Ooops . . . my bad. :oSorry, Spencer. I thought she was scheduled to leave the end of March. I cruised her last October, too. Beautiful for an older Carnival class and has all the refurbs done on her, too. :)

The Elation doesn't have the full Evolutions of Fun upgrade yet. She only has the Serenity deck.

Archived