Kelly Tarlton's or International Antarctic Centre

goldiemom

We just came back from Australia/New Zealand cruise in November and we didn't go to either. After reading several reviews from this board I found that we didn't want to go to Kelly Tarlton's Antartic Encounter in Auckland because it seemed kind of hokie. So instead we took a private tour of the black beaches and volcanoes and waterfalls on the other side of the peninsula and it was fantastic. Just a suggestion.

I did speak to several fellow cruise passengers and they did go to the Christchurch Antartic center and they said they enjoyed it. You could easily do that and still walk around the city and do the punting boats and museums in one day.

Thanks for the suggestion, Grumpy. My initial thought was to take a tour to the other side of the island in Auckland (which one did you use??) and in Christchurch visit the International Antarctic Center along with punting the Avon. Another couple we are traveling with had heard about Kelly Tartlton's, hence my question.

We used Kauri Tours and they were excellent. You can look them up on-line they have a couple of different excursions to pick from. Enjoy your cruise.

I just think (or I should say I like to see more of the natural beauty of the coastline and animals) rather than just the museum.

Haven't been to either, either. Reports I've heard from others about the Christchurch one were complementary. Also heard other reports about the Auckland one that were also complimentary, though seemed to favour the Christchurch one if you were only doing one.

We did the Kaur Tours entitled between Volcanoes and Rainforest. It was one of our best ever excursions. We really enjoyed the black beaches on the other side of the peninsula, the giant Kauri trees, the nesting gannet birds with their nests, we stopped for lunch and even went to winery.

He will take you whereever you want.

If I could figure out how to download pictures I would post them on cruise critic but I can't figure out how to do it.

Happy sailing

Well to answer your question, I HAVE been to both, and found them quite interesting and a cheap touring option to consider. Easy to get to either, Kelly Tarlton's runs a shuttle and the Antarctic Center is on the bus line.

I haven't been to the Antarctic centre but have heard good things about it. I have been to Kelly Tarltons, last time about 2 months ago and really wouldn't recommend it, there are much better ways to spend time in Auckland. There are plenty of organised tours to our glorious beaches and rainforests, alternatively just take a ferry ride to Waiheke for a wine tour or Devonport which is just 10 mins away from the CBD .

I have been to both as well, and my feeling would be for visitors who have a limited amount of time , that the Antarctic Centre would be the best to visit as it is the real thing.

Kelly Tarltons , as good as it is , is just an Aquarium, that you could see anywhere.

Beside the centre in Christchurch is the Terminal for the Military and Research folk who fly down there.

Make sure you don all the gear , and experience a blizzard, and take the ride in the all terrain vehicle.

I found Kelly Tarlton's, on a visit a few weeks ago, rather hokey and in need of an upgrade. The young kids seem to enjoy it however. As Kiwi Kruzer said, it is just an aquarium and not a great one at that. The founder has Kiwi significance but that still doesn't make it worth a visit for a tourist. If you do go, avoid peak times and public holidays as the lines to get in can be long.

Thank you for all your replies. With the limited amount of time in each port (we are on a cruise around New Zealand) choices have to be made as to what we visit. We have decided to visit the International Antarctic Centre.

Is there an easy way to get from the ship to the International Antartic Center? Or is it best to book a tour that runs you out to it?

Very easy to get there.

http://www.iceberg.co.nz/pages/13/transport-options.htm

Finding your way has never been easier!

From the city centre the International Antarctic Centre is a short 15 minute drive by car.

Alternatively visitors can catch our FREE offical transport, the Penguin Express, which departs on the hour from Cathedral Square starting at 9.00am daily.

Book online now and save $5.00 plus a free Penguin Express transfer to and from the Cathedral Square.

The public transport option is Red Bus’s City Flyer airport service which leaves Cathedral Square every 20 minutes starting at 6.00am.

• 2 weeks later...

Can pick up shuttle to Antarctic Centre from Cathedral Sq in centre of Christchurch or simply take the metro bus to the airport, which use to cost NZ$7 one way.

Antarctic Centre enjoyable, penguins and a ride on their special all terrain vehicles. Not very much of interest in city centre apart from Arts Quarter and Botanic Gardens. You could also climb to top of Cathedral in the square. If its shopping you are after Riccarton Mall is a better bet than the city centre shops. Tourist souvenir establishments and Ballantynes a traditional department store.

Punting on Avon, quite a short trip, ok if the weather is fine.

Any suggestions of something to see/do in Auckland, between the time we disembark the ship and getting to the airport for a 7:30 PM flight to LA?

I think Princess offers a city tour, but not sure if that would be the best option. We've never been to Auckland before, and unfortunately cannot stay over a few days to see the important sights.

Auckland

Skytower observation deck/bungee jump.

Queen St, main shopping street virtually opposite cruise terminal.

Auckland Museum in the Domain about 10 minutes by taxi.

Free hop on hop off city loop bus taking you to inner suburbs including Newmarket, where there are plenty more shops.

Ferries to outlying islands such as Waikehe [know I've spelt it wron!]

Devonport across the harbour. These all depart from piers adjacent to the cruise terminal.

Lots of good restaurants in The Viaduct area near the piers.

Archived