Oceanview vs Balcony

CRU1Z1N

Cruising on Valor 8/29 - 9/5. We've always booked an inside cabin, but with two adult kids in tow DH decided on an oceanview. Well now the two kids can't go. So it will just be DH and I. :D ;) With the reduction in cost I found I can get a balcony and still save $$. So tinkering around the idea of a balcony and surprising DH upon check in. He never checks anything and would have no clue until the day we walk into the room.

I'm thrilled at having an oceanview but want to know what perks (if any) I would get with a balcony?

Why do you choose a balcony? Give me your pros and cons.

Thanks! Happy CRU1Z1N!!!!

I don't want to be a balcony snob.........but guess I am! It is probably my favorite part of cruising. Like having your own little private slice of the caribbean, sitting and relaxing on the balcony. Priceless. We never, and have enver, cruise without one.

Without question, if you are going to save money even with a balcony, go with the balcony.

There's no 'perks' other than the balcony itself. Try it out - either you'll love it or you will know for future cruises that it's not worth the extra cost.

Lots of people say that they only need an inside room because they're only there to sleep, but I think it's simply because it's in an inside room you don't WANT to be in the room any more than you have to be.

When you have a balcony, well for one it's full of natural light - and it's awesome to get coffee delivered in the morning and sit out on the balcony.. if you're coming in to a port it's nice to watch the scenery go by.. you can take your time getting ready. It just changes the only 'personal' space you have on the ship into a more desirable location.

Lots of people say that they only need an inside room because they're only there to sleep, but I think it's simply because it's in an inside room you don't WANT to be in the room any more than you have to be.

I have always said this and agree with you 1000% :D I would not cruise if I couldn't have a balcony.. JMPO ;)

We are longtime ocean view cruisers.

Paid an extra 2,000 for a balcony in HI, and IMHO was not worth it.

on thye May 9th cruise, we had an ocean view room and found we could upgrade to a balcony for only 80 so did it.

For me, it adds about $200 of value to a 7 day cruise.

I would much rather got on three cruises with ocean views than two with balconies.

One big thing for me about balconies: Is the door to the balcony a slider or a swinging door? Swinging doors can rarely be left open. Sliding doors much more easily.

Some balconies are so narrow you can't even sit a chair so it looks straight out to see.

Of course, others opinions vary. People oft say they love having their cup of coffee on the balcony in the morning.

If the balcony costs $700 extra for seven days, for example that is a one hundred dollar cup of coffee. I just can't do it.

But hey, that is why God made chocolate and vanilla ice cream!

We are longtime ocean view cruisers.

Paid an extra 2,000 for a balcony in HI, and IMHO was not worth it.

on thye May 9th cruise, we had an ocean view room and found we could upgrade to a balcony for only 80 so did it.

For me, it adds about $200 of value to a 7 day cruise.

I would much rather got on three cruises with ocean views than two with balconies.

One big thing for me about balconies: Is the door to the balcony a slider or a swinging door? Swinging doors can rarely be left open. Sliding doors much more easily.

Some balconies are so narrow you can't even sit a chair so it looks straight out to see.

Of course, others opinions vary. People oft say they love having their cup of coffee on the balcony in the morning.

If the balcony costs $700 extra for seven days, for example that is a one hundred dollar cup of coffee. I just can't do it.

But hey, that is why God made chocolate and vanilla ice cream!

And that's why you bring a bungee to keep the door open :)

Cruising on Valor 8/29 - 9/5. We've always booked an inside cabin, but with two adult kids in tow DH decided on an oceanview. Well now the two kids can't go. So it will just be DH and I. :D ;) With the reduction in cost I found I can get a balcony and still save $$. So tinkering around the idea of a balcony and surprising DH upon check in. He never checks anything and would have no clue until the day we walk into the room.

I'm thrilled at having an oceanview but want to know what perks (if any) I would get with a balcony?

Why do you choose a balcony? Give me your pros and cons.

Thanks! Happy CRU1Z1N!!!!

No contest, pick a balcony. Nothing as nice as having your own outside space. My husband and I like to go get drinks and snacks and sit out on the balcony and enjoy the view. If you are more the interactive type with people type maybe that is not as important to you but we love balconies!!!

We have done both, I LOVED LOVED LOVED my balcony. If you can do it for cheaper then by all means take that balcony!

I would be willing in the future to take a longer cruise in an OV but if I can make it happen in a balcony then by all means I would. When we decided on our upcoming cruise the other choice we were considering was a ship with no balconies, we were willing in a OV for the itinerary but decided eventually to take the Fascination in a balcony.

ENJOY!

Tried an ocean view once and an interior once. Now, we'll just stay home if we can't have the balcony. Fresh air in you cabin, a private ocean viewing area that you can't get with an OV, plus the sounds of the ocean whooshing by. One of our favorite parts of cruising.

We are sailing on the Dream in July and had originally booked 3 Oceanviews, When the prices came down were were able to up grade to a Cove balcony for 2 of the rooms-Mom wants to keep her Oceanview.

We are still ahead by $300.00!

We have had both oceanview and balcony..prefer the balcony if cheap enough!

So I would go to the balcony, you will love it!

We enjoy the balcony on our cruises, especially DH. He loves to sit out in the early a.m. with his coffee & a book. We also love to sit out after excursions and unwind before dinner and evening activities. I dont think you will be disappointed. If financially I found myself in a position where I couldnt book a balcony cabin I would rather have an oceanview than no cruise at all.

I don't want to be a balcony snob.........but guess I am! It is probably my favorite part of cruising. Like having your own little private slice of the caribbean, sitting and relaxing on the balcony. Priceless. We never, and have enver, cruise without one.

Agree completely!!! We had a balcony on our second cruise and have never cruised without one ever since. Sitting on a balcony, enjoying the sun during the day and the stars at night, is pretty close to perfection.

We are sailing on the Dream in July and had originally booked 3 Oceanviews, When the prices came down were were able to up grade to a Cove balcony for 2 of the rooms-Mom wants to keep her Oceanview.

We are still ahead by $300.00!

We have had both oceanview and balcony..prefer the balcony if cheap enough!

So I would go to the balcony, you will love it!

Our cove balcony on The Dream was the highlight of the entire cruise. You'll love it!!!

we have never had anything but a balcony . there is nothing like sitting out there with a dod. sailing listening to the waves hitting the boat at 2 in the morning . think we will have to book a ov for our next cruise though cost diff is just to much we want to do southern carr on the victory and its like 400 $ diff

Agree that a balcony has a advantage but we got burnt with our 1st balcony. We had heavy smokers on one side and a annoying crying youngster on the other.The other downer was the constant balcony doors slamming shut. We are happy with a ov low to the water and ship center.

• 2 weeks later...

First balcony...room #6473 L shaped aft cabin on Valor!!! My TA said the balcony is 75 sq ft vs 35 sq ft! DH has no idea...thinks the cabin will have to be changed since we went from 4 people to 2. He still doesn't know we have a room..he thinks we'll find out just a few weeks before sailing. Even if he sees we have an assigned cabin he'll have no idea it has a balcony!! He never looks at deck plans or pics...he likes to be surprised and explore the ship himself. I think he's in for a BIG surprise!! Thank you all for helping me to make the decision to go with a balcony! I know this will make this cruise EXTRA special ;)!!

Congrats! Enjoy the togetherness sans crowd that the balcony has to offer, enjoy the coffee in the morning, the stars at night, the views while you cruise, ahhhhhh. The fact that you can put a robe on and sit out there, and no one will disturb you! :):p:rolleyes::D

First balcony...room #6473 L shaped aft cabin on Valor!!! My TA said the balcony is 75 sq ft vs 35 sq ft! DH has no idea...thinks the cabin will have to be changed since we went from 4 people to 2. He still doesn't know we have a room..he thinks we'll find out just a few weeks before sailing. Even if he sees we have an assigned cabin he'll have no idea it has a balcony!! He never looks at deck plans or pics...he likes to be surprised and explore the ship himself. I think he's in for a BIG surprise!! Thank you all for helping me to make the decision to go with a balcony! I know this will make this cruise EXTRA special ;)!!

That's so sweet! Congrats! I know you're both going to love it! Happy cruising!

Archived