Where does Sun Princess dock in Langkawi

Johhno

Hi All,

Trying to work put if its best to use Princess ship tours in Langkawi or go it alone,we only want to go to the cable car and do some duty free shopping.

So if any body knows where the ship docks or tenders this will give us a base to work from.

Thanks in advance

Cheers Johhno

Hi Johhno,

We did those ports a few years ago on Superstar Gemini and I dont think much will have changed.

At each port there were lots of local taxis all touting for business, and we just negotiated an hourly rate. We did not do one ships tour.

Just tell the driver, or the person organising the taxis, where you want go and he will take you there and wait, probably take you on a tour as well. We had a great driver , his english was not the best, but during the day , managed to find out, that he was just the driver, working for someone who leased the car off an owner,who in turn leased the licence off someone else, and he was getting paid peanuts. We gave him a good tip and told him to keep it for himself . It was still a very cheap and enjoyable day out.

SP will probably dock at Star Terminal unless Star have a ship there. If they do it will be a tender job.

We were there in 2008 on SP. The cable car was dropped as a tour destination due to school holidays in Malaysia - the month of June meant very very long queues. Also if it is windy the car doesn't run. They had been having problems with it which was another reason because if it breaks down you are stuck.

There will be a shuttle bus from the wharf to the Duty Free shops at the Underwater aquarium. Australian wine was very cheap and very awful!! When you think about how far it has come and the different temperatures - probably sat on the tarmac for a few hours or on the wharf so it is to be expected. Wish I had thought about the transport before taking the first mouthful!!

Langkawi is a lovely spot - we would go back for a holiday.

Most cruise boats stop at the Star tours wharf at the southernmost extreme of the island.

Its a fair length to walk in but the tour buses come alongside and most taxis can be had just outside the main gate,

spore2076.jpg

The main town is around 15-20 km away to the ENE, but the tourist resort strip to the WNW is a lot closer.

There are usually ships tours in airconditioned buses that take in the Cable car [a great experience], the main art & craft workshop [where you will be able to see batik, and silk screen painting], rice padis, and general sightseeing.

langkwaigoingdown.jpg

The tousim industry on Langkawi is focusing on eco-friendly tourism and has the full support of the Malaysian government in that area.

Langkawi is an incredibly beautiful place, and because of the cross cultures of its location virtually on the Malay/Thai border the people are just as beautiful.

You'll love it. :)

langkawifriendlyartscra.jpg

Hi All,

Trying to work put if its best to use Princess ship tours in Langkawi or go it alone,we only want to go to the cable car and do some duty free shopping.

So if any body knows where the ship docks or tenders this will give us a base to work from.

Thanks in advance

Cheers Johhno

Dennis has great photos on this thread, one of which shows the Star Cruises wharf where our ship stopped last year. Take a tip from me, don't hire a taxi near the ship. Walk to the far end of the pier and negotiate there. Heaps of cabs and much cheaper. We wanted to go a long way to the Oriental Village and it cost a fraction of what the guy on the wharf wanted. Our driver was great. We were with him for hours and it didn't cost much, perhaps $20 - $30. He drove us everywhere we wanted to go and had contacts everywhere. At one stage he asked if he could take us to a batik studio. We thought 'here we go, the compulsory hard sell from which he gets a cut'. True, it was one of his contacts but it had the most beautiful batik fabrics, art and a demonstration of true batik. Turned out to be a highlight of the day!

Oriental Village is a long way for not a lot, but there are elephant rides there. The cable car was being serviced when we were there so it was not an option.

We were told by other pax the wine deals were fantastic. As we know our Australian wines we probably would have been ok had we purchased any. As it was we didn't have time. Beautiful place and I'm very much looking forward to returning there next year. GC

Thanks for those fantastic pictures and tips everyone. We were there last year but did not see allot. We are heading back there this year and this time will be seeing much more, cant wait to go on the cable car. :)

Tendering lands at the main harbour in town. This is where the Mall is situated.

The Star cruise terminal is miles away on the other side of the island.

BTW all of Langkawi is duty free as is Penang. This was done to encourage tourism as Penang is only a couple of hours away on the ferry.

Dr Mahatthir (PM of Malaysia for 23 years) comes from Langkawi. The hospital there where he did his training is supposed to be the best equipped hospital in Malaysia. There is also a building housing gifts given to him over the years. Well worth a visit.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance

Cheers Johhno

Hi Johhno

i would go it alone .On our visit we got a taxi for the day and did the cable car trip and lots of shopping and it was a fraction of the cost of the shore tour.the best thing was no waiting for a bus load of people to get back on the bus at each stop so you see more of the island .We also had a cable car with just us 4 in ,on the bus trip they filled each cable car up with less room to move about and take pic,s .have a great trip look after her as we will be on her soon

:)

Thankyou to all,

David

Jpbtwo

Dennis

Sandy

Eileen

Grizabellachinchilla

Awayonaship

Anna

Just hooked

Looks like a "go it alone for Langkawi"

Thanks again for the info and photos everyone.

Cheers Johhno

Johhno - I am green Russell. I want to go with you, Langkawi looks so pretty. Enjoy your cruise. We will be doing part of Asia next year, but the top part. Will have to make sure we do the bottom part soon. :) Say hello to Sandy.

Hi Eileen,

Just trying keep up with the "Jones" oops I mean "Smiths" lol.

Yes looking forward to it ,only 17 days to sailaway.

Cheers Johhno/Russ

ps Hi to Clive.

Johhno - I am green Russell. I want to go with you, Langkawi looks so pretty. Enjoy your cruise. We will be doing part of Asia next year, but the top part. Will have to make sure we do the bottom part soon. :) Say hello to Sandy.

Hi Eileen,

Just trying keep up with the "Jones" oops I mean "Smiths" lol.

Yes looking forward to it ,only 17 days to sailaway.

Cheers Johhno/Russ

ps Hi to Clive.

Have a great cruise Russ :D You and Sandy can always join us on our cruise on the Diamond next year (I presume you have finally found a 2IC?)

Hi Johhno

i would go it alone .On our visit we got a taxi for the day and did the cable car trip and lots of shopping and it was a fraction of the cost of the shore tour.the best thing was no waiting for a bus load of people to get back on the bus at each stop so you see more of the island .We also had a cable car with just us 4 in ,on the bus trip they filled each cable car up with less room to move about and take pic,s .have a great trip look after her as we will be on her soon

:)

Hi all, just a quick silly question, sorry, if you are using local taxi transport with locals from the pier do they take Aussie $ or only local currency, havent been to any of these ports previously and just wondered if its best to a have local currency for each port which I can get from the airport on way over to Perth. Thanks Anne

Don't change at the airport.There will be moneychangers on or near the wharf in all countries.

Also the ship will have local currency at a competitive rate.

Thanks for that advice, much appreciated.

Hi, Johnno, Just got our tickets today at a group meeting and it is a tender port. The only trouble is they will give peference to all the passengers wbooked on the ships tours first.They say Langkawi is the best place for your duty free acohol.

Zanny:)

Hi, Johnno, Just got our tickets today at a group meeting and it is a tender port. The only trouble is they will give peference to all the passengers wbooked on the ships tours first.They say Langkawi is the best place for your duty free acohol.

Zanny:)

Hi Zanny,

Still waiting on our tickets,I think Langkawi will be a go it alone for us and yes duty free will be a must.

Not long now (15 days) and we will be on our way. Yippee!

Cheers Johhno

Not long now (15 days) and we will be on our way. Yippee!

Cheers Johhno

We need an "envy" smiley icon on here. :D:p

Wish I was going with you - your cruise takes in my favourite parts of the world. :)

So much to see and do - such short time in port.;)

We need an "envy" smiley icon on here. :D:p

Wish I was going with you - your cruise takes in my favourite parts of the world. :)

So much to see and do - such short time in port.;)

Hi Dennis,

I totally agree with you about the ports,we are fortunate that we live in Perth as we have done alot but not all of the Asia strip before. (Penang,Phuket,Bali,Singapore,Japan)

We are really looking forward to Langkawi & KL even if it is only for a few hours.

Cheers Johhno

Hi all, just a quick silly question, sorry, if you are using local taxi transport with locals from the pier do they take Aussie $ or only local currency, havent been to any of these ports previously and just wondered if its best to a have local currency for each port which I can get from the airport on way over to Perth. Thanks Anne

We took Malaysian Ringgit from Perth with us. I don't really remember but I think we may have paid our taxi in USD. Most places will take it. GC

Archived