Leaving kids in camp while at port?

FlaMommy75

Hi there! We are traveling to the Western Caribbean for 7 nights (Carnival Legend) over Thanksgiving. This is our first cruise with the kids (4 & 7). Is it common to leave the kids in the camp while in the ports? We have 4 different stops and I know for sure I want to leave the kids in the camp the day of Belize. I really want to go cave tubing but am way to nervous to bring the kids. We were also thinking about zip lining but would be nervous to bring the kids. I definitely want to bring the kids to two of the four ports but am already starting to feel guilty....

we have left our 2 younger ones in camp before while in port for us we had to be back on the ship before 4, lucky for us my Parents were able to get the kids. so you will want to check to see how long the tour is so you can be back in time. we are going to belize in Nov. and are thinking about doing the same tour and we would not want to bring our younger ones either, the good thing about our kids they love camp so much we sometimes have to beg them to stay with us. good luck

Your post reminds me of parents I see riding bikes with kids sometimes - the kids are all wearing helmets and the parent isn't...

My point is that if you think the excursions you're interested in are too dangerous for your kids, are you not concerned that something might happen to YOU while they're back on the ship?

Back to the original question, I think the decision whether or not to leave your kids on board is something that individual parents can only make for themselves. To me, the main factors are all centred around getting back on board at the end of the day. The only thing that is really a potential concern for the kids is if they become ill or are injured, but the risk of that is generally pretty slim (plus, you know your kids). For the parents, however, there are a number of risks that they have to evaluate. It's rare that people 'miss the boat' in port, but it does happen. The potential for injury while on an excursion is one thing that I think should be considered, as is transportation - how far are you going to be travelling and how reliable is the transportation? I believe many people book through their cruiseline for things like this simply because there is an added sense of confidence that they will ensure you make it back on board at the end of the day.

I hope I didn't come across like I think this is a bad decision - I just wanted to point out that YOUR safety is just as important as that of your kids. If you feel safe and comfortable being off the ship while your kids are still on board (no doubt having a great time), then you shouldn't feel guilty at all. Getting a sitter so that you and your spouse can have some 'adult time' is no different just because you're on vacation - and while you're off doing your thing, your kids get to run and jump and play and socialize and not even notice you're gone. :p

I would only leave my child on the ship in port if I had a friend or family member that would be on the ship as well. Call me paranoid but I'm always worried about the what if's.

I totally agree. We do a family cruise every year (4 adults + 4 kids) and we never left our kids at the club for more than an hour or 90 mins at a time. We're there for a family vacation and that's the way we like it.

I've seen other parents leave their kids there all day. that's their choice, not ours. we limit our excursions that include the kids (trolley tours etc). there will be time in the future for zip lining with the kids when they get older. We can wait until then. What if you get hurt on an excusion? Chances are slim, but what if? I can't live with the what ifs. We have kids, we're responsible for them 24/7.

Your post reminds me of parents I see riding bikes with kids sometimes - the kids are all wearing helmets and the parent isn't...

My point is that if you think the excursions you're interested in are too dangerous for your kids, are you not concerned that something might happen to YOU while they're back on the ship?

Back to the original question, I think the decision whether or not to leave your kids on board is something that individual parents can only make for themselves. To me, the main factors are all centred around getting back on board at the end of the day. The only thing that is really a potential concern for the kids is if they become ill or are injured, but the risk of that is generally pretty slim (plus, you know your kids). For the parents, however, there are a number of risks that they have to evaluate. It's rare that people 'miss the boat' in port, but it does happen. The potential for injury while on an excursion is one thing that I think should be considered, as is transportation - how far are you going to be travelling and how reliable is the transportation? I believe many people book through their cruiseline for things like this simply because there is an added sense of confidence that they will ensure you make it back on board at the end of the day.

I hope I didn't come across like I think this is a bad decision - I just wanted to point out that YOUR safety is just as important as that of your kids. If you feel safe and comfortable being off the ship while your kids are still on board (no doubt having a great time), then you shouldn't feel guilty at all. Getting a sitter so that you and your spouse can have some 'adult time' is no different just because you're on vacation - and while you're off doing your thing, your kids get to run and jump and play and socialize and not even notice you're gone. :p

Thank you for looking at both sides of the issue without getting up on your soapbox. You were fair and balanced.

We were on the Equinox over Easter and this time our DD spent more time on shore in the ports with us than she ever has before, and we dd all kinds of fun things together. This was mostly because we gave her the option of coming with us and she chose to do so. On previous cruises it was like pulling teeth begging he to come with us, when all she wanted to do was be in the kids club. So we have left her on board in the past, and as long as she chooses it, will do so in the future.

We are very mindful of sailing time and make sure we are back in plenty of time. Often all we do is get off and wander around the port area for a couple of hours, then go back on the ship.

I would like to stress that we don't just "leave" her in the kids club because it's more convenient for us, but because it is what she wants to do. We vacation as a family, but we also recognize that each of us has different needs and one of DD's needs is interaction with other kids, as she is an only child.

I see nothing wrong with utilizing the kids club service that is offered when the ship is in port and I know others will not agree with me. However, it has worked well for our family over the course of 18 cruises together and now that DD is older (nearly 9), she gets a say in whether she stays and plays or comes and hangs out with us. Either option is fine with us, as long as she is safe and happy.

I think that you should do what feels right to you. I understand the fear of something being to scary for a child and not for yourself. My kids LOVE kids club and would be there all day if we let them. Not because we are dumping them there all day, but because that's what THEY love on vacation. We always pull them (kicking and screaming) out to spend time with us, but usually they are begging to go back in.

Thanks for all of your input! We will most likely book family excursions 3 out of 4 of the port days but we will probably go ahead and book cave tubing Belize. I am not worried about my safety really with cave tubing but the kids I worry about strong currents. I also worry about the taxi rides with no car seats. I know my kids will LOVE the camp. They are so social! My only fear is missing the boat but I figure we will pay the extra money and book through Carnival so I know the boat won't leave us. It is only a 5 hour excursion and we are there for 8 hours so I am thinking we will have plenty of time.

My only fear is missing the boat but I figure we will pay the extra money and book through Carnival so I know the boat won't leave us. It is only a 5 hour excursion and we are there for 8 hours so I am thinking we will have plenty of time.

Just to clarify - even if it is a ship-sponsored excursion, they will leave but will be responsible for you (e.g., accommodations/transportation to the next port) if for some reason the excursion isn't back on time.

Good clarification, Gerif. It's a common misconception that the ship will always wait for you when you're on a ship sponsored shore excursion. They're probably more likely to wait a limited time, but there are certainly no guarantees. Factors such as weather and the port's schedules and fees affect the decision of whether or not the ship can wait.

We have left our kids on the ship on several occasions, and we almost never take a ship sponsored excursion.

I totally agree. We do a family cruise every year (4 adults + 4 kids) and we never left our kids at the club for more than an hour or 90 mins at a time. We're there for a family vacation and that's the way we like it.

24/7.

Boy - you have extremely short apron strings. How old are the kids?

DON

Thank you for looking at both sides of the issue without getting up on your soapbox. You were fair and balanced.

We were on the Equinox over Easter and this time our DD spent more time on shore in the ports with us than she ever has before, and we dd all kinds of fun things together. This was mostly because we gave her the option of coming with us and she chose to do so. On previous cruises it was like pulling teeth begging he to come with us, when all she wanted to do was be in the kids club. So we have left her on board in the past, and as long as she chooses it, will do so in the future.

We are very mindful of sailing time and make sure we are back in plenty of time. Often all we do is get off and wander around the port area for a couple of hours, then go back on the ship.

I would like to stress that we don't just "leave" her in the kids club because it's more convenient for us, but because it is what she wants to do. We vacation as a family, but we also recognize that each of us has different needs and one of DD's needs is interaction with other kids, as she is an only child.

I see nothing wrong with utilizing the kids club service that is offered when the ship is in port and I know others will not agree with me. However, it has worked well for our family over the course of 18 cruises together and now that DD is older (nearly 9), she gets a say in whether she stays and plays or comes and hangs out with us. Either option is fine with us, as long as she is safe and happy.

Sounds like us. Our girl enjoys being in the program and hanging out with kids her age. In the past we've left it up to her if she wants to get off the ship. It's her vacation too so we don't take it personally. And since we do stay in the same cabin with her and do hang out with her when she's not in the program, we do get plenty of family time.

When we get off the ship without her (and even with her), we take the ship's newsletter with so we know when to get back...and then we get back early to beat the rush. If we do any tours or excursions, it's booked through the ship. If not, we stay close to the port. I'm not into activities such as ziplining anyway.

My younger Kids call camp ship school as soon as they wake up they say can we go to ship school, we will say lets go eat breakfast first and let me tell you they eat faster than us so the whole time there done it like ok can we go now. most of the time we go and play with them at camp so we feel like we have more time with them but even then they tell us ok you can go now.LOL

Our first cruise was 3 years ago when my Quadruplet boys were 3 1/2 years old on Carnival Triumph Eastern Caribbean cruise. It was really hard taking the boys on excursions so we ended up leaving them in Camp Carnival for 2-3 hours while DH, DD and I went to explore.

Two years ago on a Carnival Legend Western Caribbean cruise we brought my parents along so it was easier and we were able to take the boys along all except for the Belize.

Last year on Carnival Splendor (Mexican Riviera) we booked the kids for every port (there were 3) but ended up taking them on two. Second day the boys were exhausted from all day excursion we did in Puerta Vallarta that they actually wanted to relax in Camp Carnival and gave up horseback riding in Mazatlan but were back to their regular energetic self for last day in Cabo San Lucas!:p

DH and I don't have any concerns about leaving the kids at Camp Carnival for few hours at a time. We used to have them in full time daycare at home and the boys are used to it, and actually prefer their time at Camp Carnival!

Hi there! We are traveling to the Western Caribbean for 7 nights (Carnival Legend) over Thanksgiving. This is our first cruise with the kids (4 & 7). Is it common to leave the kids in the camp while in the ports? We have 4 different stops and I know for sure I want to leave the kids in the camp the day of Belize. I really want to go cave tubing but am way to nervous to bring the kids. We were also thinking about zip lining but would be nervous to bring the kids. I definitely want to bring the kids to two of the four ports but am already starting to feel guilty....

I agree that you wouldn't think twice to hire a babysitter for a date night with your spouse. Camp is the same thing. We went on the Elation about 4 years ago and took the kids to all the excursions with us since they were much younger (3 and 5). That doesn't mean that we won't let them stay while at port.

We will take into consideration what they want now. There is no guilt or concerns. We ALL are allowed to have a great time while on vacation and there will be much time to spend together. Do what your heart tells you. Hope you have a great time.

I think it totally depends on your individual parenting style and personality. My kids go to daycare, but I am too paranoid to hire a babysitter for them. I figure they are safer in a setting with multiple caretakers than with a single person I may not know very well. However, I am fortunate enough to live 3 miles away from my mom, so she watches the kids whenever my hubby and I have to go somewhere at night.

Likewise, on the ship, I feel more comfortable about the daycare-setting of the camp as opposed to in-room babysitting. However, I am still too paranoid to leave my kids in the camp while I am off the ship. I worry something will happen to them and the staff won't have any way of contacting me, or something will happen to me and the kids will be stranded on the ship without me. But again, I am a paranoid parent. :p So our "excursions" consist simply of tours we can take the kids on and days spent at the beach, which is fun for all of us. When they get old enough, we will do cool stuff like snorkeling and ziplining, but for now, beach days are fine for us.

But this is just my own paranoia - if you feel comfortable leaving your daughter in the camp while you are off the ship, then you shouldn't let yourself feel guilty about it - especially if your child chooses to stay in the camp!

I am going to preface this by saying that we have done it (while doing an excursion in Belize -- we still had family onboard)

However...this is going on right now, RCI ship had to leave (one is saying 1,700 behind :eek: in France)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1195023

I couldn't imagine if there are kids still in AO right now. :eek:

I am going to preface this by saying that we have done it (while doing an excursion in Belize -- we still had family onboard)

However...this is going on right now, RCI ship had to leave (one is saying 1,700 behind :eek: in France)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1195023

I couldn't imagine if there are kids still in AO right now. :eek:

That is scary. Ok that makes it clear. Kids go with mom and dad!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I never left my kids on the ship without one of us. It is a foreign county! They are now teenagers, and I still don't leave them behind. We always found family friendly things to do, so the whole family can enjoy together. Now that they are older, all the things they couldn't do, we do now together!

Archived