anyone still sailing on the old prices?

sawsea27

Frankly' date=' the new Azamara prices look OK to me (but not fabulous) for what will be provided. If the first cruise disappoints us we can always cancel the second.[/quote']

Not sure if you've had a chance to see this thread, but I enjoyed reading the OP's thoughts on Azamara's new prices vs. old, value and comparison with Oceania's pricing (see post #13) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1194661

I think the topic of this post is just to see how many are still sailing at the old prices. It is not to compare, it is not to praise or diminish azamara, so we have gotten off topic . So if others want to start topics of comparisons, praise or disappointment with the way azamara is going, go ahead.

Here we are celebrating those who have managed to have a bit of luck. If you find that distasteful, or negative, dont post since then you would be off topic.

UM.........We're pretty late to the party, and are wondering what the dustup is from so many cruisers on this Board.

We're not ignorant, and we certainly don't want our questions to result in personal attacks, as is so freely done on other CC Boards when folks come in with legitimate observations - or questions.

That said, we're trying to follow the debate on what is "old pricing"; "new pricing"; and, what is now included with our Azamara Journey cruise in August. We'd appreciate some input on what Azamara is doing - we have an idea; we just want to see if our ideas are correct. So, what can we expect on the Journey? Are gratuities now included? And, is bottled water still offered at no cost? Is the ship clean and well maintained? How is the service overall?

Answers - without snide comments - will be greatly appreciated.:D

One more thing - we are not snobs - we choose a cruise based on itinerary. Thus, we've sailed Carnival and other lines and plan to sail Carnival again. That does not make us "Greyhound of the seas" cruisers either. We book the itinerary, then the cruise line and if we want a Club Continent Suite on Azamara, or a Sky Suite on Celebrity we book it(as we have). As my wonderful Irish Grandparents told us kids many years ago - to every foot is a shoe. What is great for some is not great for all.

Thanks in advance for insights and answers to our inquiries.

John/Rick

:p

It is hard to know if you are paying old or new prices without knowing what you are paying, but are you paying what is currently on Azamara's web site? Those are the new prices. Gratuities and water are included.

Btw, according to the person that I spoke to at Azamara who told me they were having a "2 for 1", the European/Med cruises are selling very well.

It looks like we're paying the old price; we booked the cruise on March 19, 2009.

Does this handle what is now covered - such as gratuities and such? Got the question being posed to our TA; hopefully this can be made somewhat clearer.

John/Rick

It looks like we're paying the old price; we booked the cruise on March 19, 2009.

Does this handle what is now covered - such as gratuities and such? Got the question being posed to our TA; hopefully this can be made somewhat clearer.

John/Rick

Yes, you will receive all the new benefits that have become inclusive

gratuities, bottled water, speciality coffee, wine at lunch and dinner...etc etc.

There will only be butlers for suites, the rest of the cabins will have a standard cabin steward

Possible complimentary shuttles in port

Speciality restaurants have changed a bit...the suites are complimentary but the rest of us now pay 15.00 per person

Personally, DH and I sail for the itinerary. Our B2B has gone up about 800pp per cruise. The itinerary is phenomenal. We would still pay the "new" prices at this time.

Thanks much sawsea - think we finally got it figured out........Azamara changing "in midstream" so-to-speak seems to have caused some consternation on the part of some........we really like our itinerary, so the price was a secondary consideration. But the prices have taken a dramatic upturn.

John/Rick

We're sailing Azamara for the first time in August, and were lucky enough to have booked at the old prices. I'm excited about the smaller ship, and really, just about everything that makes Azarama unique.

That said, when I looked for our cruise in 2011 to Greece/Turkey, the only cruise Azamara offered was a 7 day cruise requiring open jaw airline tickets (and thus, hotel stays at both ends). I found a 12 day on a Celebrity S-class ship with a great itinerary for us, that was $400 less expensive for 5 extra days. I'm talking about a 1B veranda on Quest versus a Concierge cabin on Celebrity. Oceania had a great 12 day cruise, but the cheapest veranda was double the price on Celebrity (a total of $45 more per day than Azamara).

I just can't justify the extra expense, but feel very fortunate we'll experience Azamara this year!

they have gone to the 7 day itineraries in the hope that people will do back to backs...

most wouldnt go to europe just for a 7 day cruise...

you will love your cruise...wish we hadnt loved it as much..

now they have priced us out...

It isn't just back to backs that they are looking for. Last year when they announced the new Azamara they said they were trying to get more European passengers. Seven days is appealing to that market. We did a 7 day Princess cruise out of Southhampton and there were not many Americans aboard.

Last year when they announced the new Azamara they said they were trying to get more European passengers. Seven days is appealing to that market.

Doesn't appeal more to me. Remember Europeans tend to have longer holidays than North Americans.

Sue

yes agreed about the 7 days..but if they were reasonably priced we would do a B2B...

I still think it would have been a better move on Azamara's part to do 10 night cruises with btb's making it a 20 night cruise. That is what HAL does from Rome with Noordam and not being able to get away for 20 nights (or 3 weeks with travel from the US and pre-cruise stays) we did the 10 night "West" Med one year (on Westerdam) and 10 night "East" Med the next year (on Noordam). They made up a fantastic itinerary with 15 ports in total. I know Azamara probably calculated out the extra money they could make with more cruises but I believe they have cut off the American cruiser for most of these 7 night cruises so relying on the European cruiser to fill the ships instead of Europeans.

Btw, the problem HAL had with the 20 night btb is that all the shows were repeats for passengers onboard, at least in 2007 and 2008.

Doesn't appeal more to me. Remember Europeans tend to have longer holidays than North Americans.

Sue

We like to take one 12 nite plus minus and 2 7 nite cruises/breaks and use up the other days for long weekends etc,we also like to cruise from Southampton so most of the cruises are 14 nites,with a hand full off 7 niters :):):) also concur that back to backs seem pricey even with discount

the promotions on the web site have not changed in any way for a long time...I check the cabin availabilities regularly and there is no movement of cabins...like azamara is frozen in time..

But, perhaps you are comparing to Celebrity whose prices change on a daily basis like the airlines. I do not think that is standard in the industry and definitely not with the cruise lines that we have cruised with. HAL's rarely change and all of our HAL cruises have gone up in price and sold out. SilverSea has a stagnant web site with prices that rarely "move".

as far as a stagnant web site...

well prices may stay the same...but availability of cabins change...not on azamara...not the ones I am watching...

what other cruise line sharply increased their fares as azamara has done?

Sawsea,

Not a travel agent and most definitely not a fool! Just a simple cruiser who loves the small ship experience, the service and the itineraries that we find on Azamara. Also, able to recognize a good deal when I see one. Also, I enjoy looking at the positive. Is everything perfect on Azamara? No. Are they working to improve? Yes. Do I enjoy my cruises with them? Most definitely.

Am I upset about the price increase? No. They were not making money at the old prices (they have been very upfront about that). They increased prices and threw in things to make the pricing more palatable. Any "fool" can see that they stood more of a chance of going under if changes were not made.

Too much energy is spent on negativity. Time and energy would be better spent finding the cruise line that can meet your needs at a price that you are willing to pay. Obviously, Azamara is not that line.

I am a soon-to-be Azamara cruiser. If my first time cruise is good, I will rebook. Even at the new prices.

If the cruise isn't wonderful, I will not book again. Like many US cruisers, we have little time. Time is more important than money for us.

I am a soon-to-be Azamara cruiser. If my first time cruise is good, I will rebook. Even at the new prices.

If the cruise isn't wonderful, I will not book again. Like many US cruisers, we have little time. Time is more important than money for us.

I hope that you have a wonderful cruise and meet lots of wonderful people. Yes, time is short and a great cruise is a wonderful way to spend precious vacation time.

Hi!

I noticed you will be going to the Baltic...this is such a wonderful cruise

You are sooo fortunate to have the port times that you do on the cruise you've booked...It's almost unheard of to see 3 days in St. Pete AND the overnights for Berlin and Stockholm on many cruise lines Tallin is a 1/2 day

We have done this cruise itinerary 3 times

We put together our personal travel journal tips for the itinerary, sights to see lists and how we did each port and the private tour company we used in St. Petersburg each time

If you think it might be helpful to read before you go

Here are the links...

http://ourpassportstamps.com/BalticCruiseReport.html

http://ourpassportstamps.com/Photography.html

http://ourpassportstamps.com/St.html

(enjoy the music)

Archived