anyone still sailing on the old prices?

sawsea27

Okay. You lucked out at a bargain. After your bargain cruise, will you be willing to pay double or triple for a future cruise. Not much difference . Good service with soft drinks, bottled water, better coffee, wine, and included gratuities. Almost forgot the no fee self serve laundry. Nice features but not really much added value. I loved my cruises on Azamara, but they may become just a nice memory. The price increases will not sit well with a lot of people.

Okay. You lucked out at a bargain. After your bargain cruise, will you be willing to pay double or triple for a future cruise. Not much difference . Good service with soft drinks, bottled water, better coffee, wine, and included gratuities. Almost forgot the no fee self serve laundry. Nice features but not really much added value. I loved my cruises on Azamara, but they may become just a nice memory. The price increases will not sit well with a lot of people.

RedTravel, can you answer the question yourself. At what price (per diem with tax) will you book again?

We booked early.

We are in a Sky Suite (Club Continent Suite now) on the cruise listed below for this August to the British Isles out of Copenhagen.

We payed around 9K and the list price now on the Azamara site is around 12K. A difference of 3K. I might be able to drink that much wine on a cruise, but my wife would definitely need to help me out a bit.;)

Normally we like to cruise for around 8-10K for the two of us.

We like Regent because of the all-inclusive approach, but if you have noticed they have raised their rates as well. The major addition coming from Regent is the shore excursions, which I doubt we will ever take them up on. And their rate increase far outreaches the cost of these excursions.:eek:

We had a cruise booked with Oceania for next January to celebrate my wife's birthday, but they are dry-docking their ship now, so we had to move back to Regent and the Navigator. :rolleyes:

We like Celebrity's strict smoking policy so we will also try them (another reason we like A, O, and R), we can upgrade our suite with them and still be in the 8-10K that we are willing to spend (we do like verandas).

So, to answer your question, if we LOVE Azamara, we would cruise with them again, but we would probably book less of a cabin/suite to stay within our budget.

We have a group of 14 family and friends sailing on Journey in Jan 2011 and all booked before the prices went up. We consider ourselves very lucky! As for being able to afford the new prices on future sailings, I'm not so sure. I think probably not, sadly.

----Penny

We booked early.

We are in a Sky Suite (Club Continent Suite now) on the cruise listed below for this August to the British Isles out of Copenhagen.

We payed around 9K and the list price now on the Azamara site is around 12K. A difference of 3K. I might be able to drink that much wine on a cruise, but my wife would definitely need to help me out a bit.;)

Normally we like to cruise for around 8-10K for the two of us.

We like Regent because of the all-inclusive approach, but if you have noticed they have raised their rates as well. The major addition coming from Regent is the shore excursions, which I doubt we will ever take them up on. And their rate increase far outreaches the cost of these excursions.:eek:

We had a cruise booked with Oceania for next January to celebrate my wife's birthday, but they are dry-docking their ship now, so we had to move back to Regent and the Navigator. :rolleyes:

We like Celebrity's strict smoking policy so we will also try them (another reason we like A, O, and R), we can upgrade our suite with them and still be in the 8-10K that we are willing to spend (we do like verandas).

So, to answer your question, if we LOVE Azamara, we would cruise with them again, but we would probably book less of a cabin/suite to stay within our budget.

Can we assume the 9K is just for the cruise with port fees and taxes, and does not include flights, pre-cruise or excursions?

Correct assumption.;)

You don't even want to know about the flight over there (and back).

I am a bigger person, 6'3" and 250#, so I told my wife if we do the flight from LA to London, we have to have larger accommodations on the way over (and back).

First Class Virgin Air.:D

Yikes.:eek:

Not part of the cruise budget but I am hoping well worth the extra cost!:)

First Class Virgin Air.:D

Yikes.:eek:

Not part of the cruise budget but I am hoping well worth the extra cost!:)

This is where collecting miles very obsesively and compulsively comes in for us. We put everything (and I mean everything we can) on cards that collect miles for the same airline and also get very creative with special offers. All this so we can fly "free" in business on all trans-oceanic flights - east and west. Well worth the trouble, IMO, and it doesn't cost anything extra; it's all money we would spend anyway.

A simple example: Chase BA Visa had an offer recently that they would give you 50,000 BA miles for opening an account and an extra 50,000 miles for spending $ 2,000 (not that hard to do). That's 100,000 BA miles for FREE = 2 business class tickets SFO to Europe (one way). Not bad! Do the same for your spouse as well - 2 return business class tickets (also free).

We booked what I call an option for a future cruise this last February. There is a term they use that escapes me now. We have just decided on an Aprill 17th 2011 cruise out of Rome. Haven't talked to our TA yet' date=' but I wouldn't imagine they will give us the old rates just because we sort of booked on board in Feb.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.[/quote']

Hi Molly !

I assure you, that a future cruise certificate, will not get you the old price. You will have to pay whatever the current rate is. I wish I had better news for you. Enjoy your Cruise !

This is where collecting miles very obsesively and compulsively comes in for us. We put everything (and I mean everything we can) on cards that collect miles for the same airline and also get very creative with special offers. All this so we can fly "free" in business on all trans-oceanic flights - east and west. Well worth the trouble, IMO, and it doesn't cost anything extra; it's all money we would spend anyway.

A simple example: Chase BA Visa had an offer recently that they would give you 50,000 BA miles for opening an account and an extra 50,000 miles for spending $ 2,000 (not that hard to do). That's 100,000 BA miles for FREE = 2 business class tickets SFO to Europe (one way). Not bad! Do the same for your spouse as well - 2 return business class tickets (also free).

We;ve done the same thing and in the last 5 years with travel yearly to Europe with DH and then seperate travel with my mom..

I haven't paid for an international or domestic ticket in the last 8 years...

we've manage to manipulate the miles within all FF accounts that the 3 of us have!

We put everything and I mean everything on mileage cards

though after our 2011 adventures the jig is up...at least it appears this way at the moment..DH's company has cut back on all travel and there went a big source of our mileage income..with double points, etc etc.

We figure by 2012 we should be back in the game!

It will be a harsh reality when we actually pay for a ticket!!!!

Redtravel

Sorry, no, we are not likely to book Azamara at the new prices. We loved the experience but we had [and have booked at the old prices] a PH Suite [sorry, cannot get used to the new name]. Loved the space but the standard of the accommodation is no way good enough for the new prices. The Celebrity Suite on X M-class ships is way, way better [even being smaller and without a balcony].

I also dislike the large number of overnight stays in ports. We much perfer seadays. The only itinerary which may have tempted us was the Amazon and that spends far too much of the cruise in the Carribean.

Unlike some, we only cruise once or twice a year and the whole package has to be right.

Sue

We;ve done the same thing and in the last 5 years with travel yearly to Europe with DH and then seperate travel with my mom..

we've manage to manipulate the miles within all FF accounts that the 3 of us have!

though after our 2011 adventures the jig is up...at least it appears this way at the moment..DH's company has cut back on all travel and there went a big source of our mileage income..with double points, etc etc.

Something about great minds and thinking alike:)?

this is a whole new topic...my answer is NO ******* WAY!!!

You are doing better than us but we do not have as much flexibility in our travel dates. Nevertheless we have had 10 free international round trips in the past 4 years including Montreal, Rome (twice), Norway, and Argentina plus business class upgrades to Ecuador. We finally had to bit the bullet to Asia earlier this year as we wanted specific dates into Hong Kong and out of Singapore, not to mention a one way from Bejing to Hong Kong. But, we now have enough miles for two round trips to Europe. Not sure how difficult they will be to get for next year though. It was hard to pay for our tickets in February.

Redtravel

Sorry, no, we are not likely to book Azamara at the new prices. We loved the experience but we had [and have booked at the old prices] a PH Suite [sorry, cannot get used to the new name]. Loved the space but the standard of the accommodation is no way good enough for the new prices. The Celebrity Suite on X M-class ships is way, way better [even being smaller and without a balcony].

I also dislike the large number of overnight stays in ports. We much perfer seadays. The only itinerary which may have tempted us was the Amazon and that spends far too much of the cruise in the Carribean.

Unlike some, we only cruise once or twice a year and the whole package has to be right.

Sue

So, why don't you join us next April from Dubai to Athens? All sea days with the exception of one stop in Egypt. That is what my DH wanted. I had wanted to go to Dubai so this will work for us although based on other cruise lines itineraries (including SilverSea which we just received) there should be enough time to make two other port stops over a 12 night itinerary from Dubai to Athens so I can't figure out if Azamara will be going at half speed. My DH refused to pay the rates for the really port intensive itineraries that I wanted because we would never see our Stateroom.

Btw, we loved the PH/Owners Suite in February, but it's not worth over $20Kpp or whatever the new rate is, and we had a really great bargain :)

Okay. You lucked out at a bargain. After your bargain cruise, will you be willing to pay double or triple for a future cruise.

No, but then I haven't seen fares that are double or triple what we paid. They seem to be more in the range of 50% more. I guess our bargain wasn't as great as some received.

We would cruise with them again, but the decision would not be based on a comparison of what we paid previously to what the current fare is, because the previous fares were not sustainable. Instead, I would compare fares with those of other lines with similar size of ships, style of cruising and itinerary.

There are still some deals available with OBC's and air that makes the new pricing not as bad as it first appears.

No, but then I haven't seen fares that are double or triple what we paid. They seem to be more in the range of 50% more.

I guess our bargain wasn't as great as some received.

We would cruise with them again, but the decision would not be based on a comparison of what we paid previously to what the current fare is,

because the previous fares were not sustainable. Instead, I would compare fares with those of other lines with similar size of ships,

style of cruising and itinerary.

There are still some deals available with OBC's and air that makes the new pricing not as bad as it first appears.

I have to agree with Susan-M

We would decide to sail on AZ again

We make our choices on what the market is holding...

Currently the higher price on AZ for the HolyLand cruise Nov3rd is still

lower than Princess Holyland at the same time

Princess doesn't include gratuities.

My AZ Discoverer benefits now trump my Princess Elite

and my loyalty can be bought

So, if we were coming into the booking right this very second

I would book AZ at current prices over Princess current prices

We also would figure in what it was cost us to do an itinerary by land

versus cruise and I mean apples to apples. very rarely would you have an oceanfront balcony in Europe, so I wont compare that.

I will compare outside or inside. Just because you have a window in Europe doesnt mean

it wont open up to a dead end alley with no screen and you have to

keep the window closed so pigeons dont come into your room. (btw, that was a 5 star hotel)

I just dont think peoplehsould be making a blanket statement about not sailing with any cruiseline again regarding pricing unless they have done their homework

just because the sailing they are looking has higher costs, doesn't mean that every sailing AZ offers is higher than other cruiselines

I may be missing something here but the price difference between Azamara and the larger ships such as Nieuw Amsterdam and Equinox was not that much different at the time we booked in January. The food on the latter 2 is fair at best and we were hoping to have a more intimate experience with a smaller ship and better food. We are not expecting a luxury experience nor are we paying for one. Azamara had an itinerary much more to our liking. Granted that with Celebrity and HAL offering discounts now, i would have saved with them but that is the risk you take. I would say, be thankful for your prior lower cost cruise but these may be different times. I'll report back on my Athens-Istanbul experience when I get back.

So, why don't you join us next April from Dubai to Athens? All sea days with the exception of one stop in Egypt. That is what my DH wanted. I had wanted to go to Dubai so this will work for us although based on other cruise lines itineraries (including SilverSea which we just received) there should be enough time to make two other port stops over a 12 night itinerary from Dubai to Athens so I can't figure out if Azamara will be going at half speed. My DH refused to pay the rates for the really port intensive itineraries that I wanted because we would never see our Stateroom.

Btw, we loved the PH/Owners Suite in February, but it's not worth over $20Kpp or whatever the new rate is, and we had a really great bargain :)

Jade

To be honest, I think that they have ruined this cruise by spliting it in two. We did Singapore to Athens last year and it was a wonderful cruise. India followed by all those sea days watching the wake! After 24 days, it was like leaving old family.

We are doing the SE Asia next February because I have always wanted to sail into Halong Bay otherwise this itinerary is not really to my liking. It will be great to return to Hong Kong though after very many years.

Sue

Jade

To be honest, I think that they have ruined this cruise by spliting it in two. We did Singapore to Athens last year and it was a wonderful cruise. India followed by all those sea days watching the wake! After 24 days, it was like leaving old family.

We are doing the SE Asia next February because I have always wanted to sail into Halong Bay otherwise this itinerary is not really to my liking. It will be great to return to Hong Kong though after very many years.

Sue

Interesting that it was one cruise this year and you have already done the itinerary. The only reason that we can travel from Dubai is that the cruise is shorter. Also we have been to India before for a wedding.

We did Southeast Asia this February but without Halong Bay as we opted for the cruise which stopped in Cambodia so we could go to Angkor Wat.

Btw, was the itineray the same last year with only one stop in Egypt from Dubai to Athens? Did they allow you out and about in the Suez Canal and what type of activities on the ship?

We never used the balcony ever in Asia as it was too hot, and too many bugs.

We only had one stop in Egypt and this was one of the few faults with the cruise. We should have had an overnight in Alexandria and arrive in Athens one day later [as we docked on May Day]. If you went to Cairo, you saw very little of Alexandria.

We were not "allowed out" during the Suez canal passage but it was so interesting that I am glad that we were on board. I am not sure that anyone knew what to expect for the passage but most ended up just leaning on the railings watching for most of the very long day.

The other difference was we stopped twice in Malaysia which was a disappointment. I think they went to Bali this year.

Activities onboard were fairly laid-back. The daily trivia in the Mosaic cafe was well attended as were the lectures, cooking demonstrations, wine tastings and other talks. Everyone had the opportunity to take a bridge tour and galley tour. Other than that we read on our balcony or by the T Pool and made new friends. Believe me, I am not someone who can sit and do nothing and I was never bored. Only two things were crowded - the lecture on the Suez Canal [for obvious reasons] and the "Waves Ceremony" on the final sea day when the crew were introduced and the Captain said an emotional farewell. Having said that, the Captain was also at the top of the gangway to shake everyone's hand and say goodbye the next day when we disembarked.

Sue

We only had one stop in Egypt and this was one of the few faults with the cruise. We should have had an overnight in Alexandria and arrive in Athens one day later [as we docked on May Day]. If you went to Cairo, you saw very little of Alexandria.

We were not "allowed out" during the Suez canal passage but it was so interesting that I am glad that we were on board. I am not sure that anyone knew what to expect for the passage but most ended up just leaning on the railings watching for most of the very long day.

The other difference was we stopped twice in Malaysia which was a disappointment. I think they went to Bali this year.

Activities onboard were fairly laid-back. The daily trivia in the Mosaic cafe was well attended as were the lectures, cooking demonstrations, wine tastings and other talks. Everyone had the opportunity to take a bridge tour and galley tour. Other than that we read on our balcony or by the T Pool and made new friends. Believe me, I am not someone who can sit and do nothing and I was never bored. Only two things were crowded - the lecture on the Suez Canal [for obvious reasons] and the "Waves Ceremony" on the final sea day when the crew were introduced and the Captain said an emotional farewell. Having said that, the Captain was also at the top of the gangway to shake everyone's hand and say goodbye the next day when we disembarked.

Sue

Was it Captain Carl?

I agree. This should be a 14 night with overnight in Egypt and over night in Athens.

Was the day tour with chartered flight to Luxor an option? I am interested in going to Luxor and it is a 1.5 hour flight I believe.

No, our captain was Leif Carlson [think that is the correct spelling] and he was really great. We were initially disappointed when we learned that Captain Carl would not be on our cruise but there was no need to worry.

I am pretty certain that there were no trips to Luxor. It was a really long day to Cairo/Giza. I doubt Luxor would be feasible except by plane and it is unlikely that they would get many takers. Most people were upset that they could not do all the things that they wanted to that were on offer.

Sue

Archived