Huge price increase!

Did anyone check lately....oh my!

I go on every day looking for any price drops, (ya never know right!) and in just one day, the prices of my cabin category increased by >$1000!!

I leave in 2 weeks, and the price has remained fairly consistent since I booked 6 months ago, but today when I checked, wow! what a difference in just 24hrs!! Not good.

That's not unusual. If there are only very few cabins left in a catagory you will see higher rates near sailing date. My Mariner curise May 2 went down a couple of times in the past several months, to encourage more buyers, as that ship has not been selling well. So I got a very good price. About 2 weeks ago the rate for my catagory went up about $200 over my rate. Now it is sold out.

Did anyone check lately....oh my!

I go on every day looking for any price drops, (ya never know right!) and in just one day, the prices of my cabin category increased by >$1000!!

I leave in 2 weeks, and the price has remained fairly consistent since I booked 6 months ago, but today when I checked, wow! what a difference in just 24hrs!! Not good.

I think that they may be trying to offset the fuel cost. They posted a net profit of $87 Million for the first qtr., but they are trying offset the fuel cost. While $87 million profit, it is still a very small profit, and that include their other lines that they own. The Oasis, in general, is burning an estimated $25,000 per hour, just in fuel!:eek:

I read that people are starting to book more that the economy is improving so the law of supply and demand is at work. I agree they may be trying to offset the fuel costs also instead of charging a supplement. The price of oil was $82+ today well over the $65 which is the price where the supplement can go into effect if the line so chooses.

My Baltic cruise I booked over a year ago has gone up at times to over $3,000.00 pp more ...has never gone down to what I paid for it..glad I booked when I did and got one of the best JS on the JOS...;)

The law of supply and demand dictates the prices and the fact that people are seeing large price increases as their sailing dates approach indicates that as the economy continues to improve, more people are booking cruises. That is good news for the cruise lines, and good news for those who booked early while prices were still low. We may well have seen the end of bargain basement prices but hopefully, as prices increase, the lines, if they want to compete for our vacation dollars, may see a need to restore some of the amenities that they cut.

I'm forever reading that people wait until the last minute to get a better price, but our early fare price is almost always much less than what is charged after the final payment.

On Mariner this past Christmas, inside cabins were priced higher than balcony cabins after final payments were due. Same thing last October on Radiance. We met people who were raving about last minute pricing, I didn't have the heart to admit to them our balcony was several hundred less than their inside...especially since they were so happy with their "bargain" :eek:

Edit to add, we do cruise on more popular dates, I'm sure less than ideal times (for most) do go down because of slow bookings.

Why would that be bad news? You have your cabin at your fare. You don't have to worry about what anyone else pays. And if Royal Caribbean can get more money for cabins now, that's a good business move for them.

I was thinking the exact same thing ! OP got a great rate compared to what a new passenger will be paying....

Ummmmmm how is this bad news ?

I was thinking the exact same thing ! OP got a great rate compared to what a new passenger will be paying....

Ummmmmm how is this bad news ?

Perhaps what the OP was trying to tell us that s/he won't be getting the coveted "price drop" that many here are obsessed with....;)

Why would that be bad news? You have your cabin at your fare. You don't have to worry about what anyone else pays. And if Royal Caribbean can get more money for cabins now, that's a good business move for them.

Its just that there was such a huge increase in just 24hrs, is what surprised me...I always check prices incase there are drops, etc which I have been fortunate enough to receive in the past....feel bad for those wanting to book now....

Perhaps what the OP was trying to tell us that s/he won't be getting the coveted "price drop" that many here are obsessed with....;)

I wouldn't say obsessed is the right word .....some of us have been fortunate to get a price drop/OBC on previous cruises, so why wouldn't we check....... :confused:

But indeed, like other posters, booking early is def an advantage these days it seems.....

When they have great sales jump on it quickly. We booked our D1 gty on the 13 night TA on the Jewel leaving next week a few months back and got a great deal (799 PP with $350 OBC travel agent /shareholder). We put a courtesy hold on it and RCCL only gave us 2 hours to book it as we were the last booking in D1 before they closed the category and we ended up getting a JS. A few days later all categories that were still open almost doubled in price. Many times you can get a great price booking within 3 weeks of sailing but not that often and of course requires a flexible schedule which most people do not have.

Archived