Question Regarding Pre Cruise Shopping

NYGirl1002

My daughter is special needs. Our cruise leaves on her birthday. I told her it was her birthday present but she still expects a gift from me.. just like any other kid who doesn't understand the concept of not physically being handed a gift.

Anyway, I want to get her something to find in the cabin when we get there so I was perusing the gifts.

Anyway I wanted to buy myself a magnet and keychain because I collect that stuff on cruises. I also wanted to buy a deck of CB cards.

My question is this... do I have to buy now or can I get stuff like that in the gift shop?

I am also preordering internet minutes as I get a whole 60 free minutes if I pre-order!

I've read some posts where people order stuff and it never shows up. Is that the case with Princess?

Should I fax the order or call it in?

I faxed in an egg crate/top sheet request along with the way I prefer the bed configuration last week but it still doesn't show up in my personalizer so I'm wondering about faxing.

What do you experts think?

I've read some posts where people order stuff and it never shows up. Is that the case with Princess?

Should I fax the order or call it in?

I faxed in an egg crate/top sheet request along with the way I prefer the bed configuration last week but it still doesn't show up in my personalizer so I'm wondering about faxing.

What do you experts think?

I faxed in my egg crate and top sheet request about 35 days prior to our cruise, but it didn't show up on my booking (not just the personalizer but you have to actually go into your booking and click on 'special services' to see it), until the 28 day mark. So, if I were you, I would check the next couple of days since I see you just made it to the 28 day mark. They don't fax these requests to the ship until about 30 days prior to your sailing (is what I was told), so they won't usually show up until after they are faxed over.

As for gifts, no problems here either when pre-ordering. BUT, they will not usually be in your stateroom when you board, instead you will find a voucher for whatever you ordered and that is how it will be given to you. Food or drink items pre-ordered, you normally have to call room service (or make special arrangements beforehand) and tell them you have a voucher. Items that are sold in the shops, another voucher. ;)

So, Toto, whatever is listed on the Gift Form to pre-order can be found in the gift shop too?

Most (if not all) of it, but I would have to go have a look at the gift section again, I know they have added some new items recently. Can I get back to you on that one after I have a look? ;)

OK, just looked through the gifts.

I found a few things on the gift list that I have never seen in the shops. This doesn't mean they aren't there, but I have never seen them myself.

One is the Termal Travel Mug, another is the stainless steel water bottle, and another is the packable backpack. Along with a few of the boxes of chocolates that don't look familar. And I don't remember ever seeing the package with ship model, keychain and Princess magnet before. (some of these itmes are new, and I might not have paid close enough attention when browsing in the shops the last couple of cruises).

The rest, I have seen in the shops onboard, on almost every sailing.

BUT, they do sometimes run out of certain itmes, we have also seen that happen also.

So, if there is something you want particularly, just in case, I would order it prior to your cruise. That way they will do their best to have it set aside for you. ;)

They still may have a voucher in your stateroom to take to the shops, but if they have been pre-ordered, I would guess they would put them aside for you. ;) Good luck, and have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks so much Toto. I am going to fill out the order form and fax it for a couple of reason.

1. I'd like to prepay the internet to get the extra minutes. Email is the only way I will be able to keep in touch with my son at home.

2. I can pay ahead of time and not have it put on the credit card I use on the ship.

3. There's a chance it will be in the cabin when we board for her to open.

I'm still hoping they are able to decorate the room for her. If you don't know special needs kids are a little rigid about certain things. I may end up calling Princess before we sail to give them a little "pretty please".

Toto? How do I check for the egg crate in "my princess"? Is my booking online? I booked through a worthless T/A. :(

What I was doing was going to my personalizer and then clicking special requests on the right but I didn't see anything.

Thanks again for all your help

Thanks so much Toto. I am going to fill out the order form and fax it for a couple of reason.

1. I'd like to prepay the internet to get the extra minutes. Email is the only way I will be able to keep in touch with my son at home.

2. I can pay ahead of time and not have it put on the credit card I use on the ship.

I'm still hoping they are able to decorate the room for her. If you don't know special needs kids are a little rigid about certain things. I may end up calling Princess before we sail to give them a little "pretty please".

Toto? How do I check for the egg crate in "my princess"? Is my booking online? I booked through a worthless T/A. :(

What I was doing was going to my personalizer and then clicking special requests on the right but I didn't see anything.

Our friend who had the cabin next to us, had balloons taped to his door on his birthday. Maybe your daughter would like balloons too. We were on the Sapphire. On Carnival we ordered a special birthday cake for my hubby, don't know if Princess does that.

Since my cruise is 2 days away the personalizer is not available for me but if you go into the actual "booking summary" and then click on "special services" you should be able to see the egg crate request on your personalizer.

Regarding the balloons if you put that you want to celebrate the birthday in the personalizer with the date they will decorate with balloons on the door and give a certificate for a "special dessert" in the MDR.

Paul

Try and explain why, and they might make an effort to have things in your stateroom for you. They don't usually do this, and even flowers are delivered later in the day, but it never hurts to ask.

I have never known Princess to actually decorate the inside of your stateroom before for a birthday. I wish I could be more positive for you, but I have just never known them to do it.

If I were you, I would call and explain the situation to them and see if they might make an exception, it never hurts to ask, and all they can say is no. ;)

Go into your actual booking, and click on the right side where it says TRAVEL SUMMARY, BOARDING PASS AND LUGGAGE TAGS. When you open that, go to the list in the box in the upper right hand corner. The last clickable link will be SPECIAL SERVICES, this is where your egg crate mattress order will show up.

I found it! Sure enough it's there. Thanks again Toto!

Pgintct.. enjoy your cruise. Where are you going and on what ship?

I didn't know what they decorated as we've never celebrated anything on a cruise.

I don't care if it's just the door or balloons inside. I know about the cake. My travel agent did tell them and it shows up in my personalizer but I remember reading that because it's embarkation day it may not be done. I suppose I could also ask my steward.

The reason we are traveling on that day is also because it's my husband's birthday too. We just didn't want to be home for it.. I wanted to be doing something fun. He passed away suddenly in January. I want to make the day nice for her.

I ordered the bon voyage experience for my son and his girlfriend. We can board at 10:00 where we will be given a tour of the ship and a 4 course meal with wine in the MDR. I'm looking forward to that. I'll report on how it is when I get back.

If you are worried about not having the item in the cabin waiting for you, you might have something ready in your carry-on just in case. Don't know if that is required, but just a thought.

I'm relatively new to Princess - you mentioned pre-ordering internet access time and you get additional free minutes. Tried to find that on the Princess Website and couldn't. How do you preorder?

Denny

My daughter is special needs. Our cruise leaves on her birthday. I told her it was her birthday present but she still expects a gift from me.. just like any other kid who doesn't understand the concept of not physically being handed a gift.

Anyway, I want to get her something to find in the cabin when we get there so I was perusing the gifts.

Anyway I wanted to buy myself a magnet and keychain because I collect that stuff on cruises. I also wanted to buy a deck of CB cards.

My question is this... do I have to buy now or can I get stuff like that in the gift shop?

I am also preordering internet minutes as I get a whole 60 free minutes if I pre-order!

I'm sorry for the loss of your husband, and I think it is wonderful that you want to do something special for your daughter on her birthday. I've seen the balloons on doors, but embarkation day is pretty crazy for the stewards so I don't know if they would be able to do that. If you get there and the egg crate is not on your bed, just tell your steward. We did that on the Crown and by the time we returned to our cabin that night he had made up the beds with the egg crate. You might want to mention your daughter's birthday to him too, who knows he might do something extra for her.

Here ya go, just follow this link and it will take you to the gifts section with all the internet packages available, and the bonus you receive with each of them.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/communications/index.jsp

thank you toto! I've spent most of my time on the Celebrity board because we cruise that line so much - going to Hawaii on Princess and looking forward to it. Kind of new working the Princess website, and I used a TA this time because it seems Princess allows the TA to discount their SR's more than the RCL does.

Its fun being a 'new kid' and learning the ropes over here. Very nice forum.

Denny

thank you toto! I've spent most of my time on the Celebrity board because we cruise that line so much - going to Hawaii on Princess and looking forward to it. Kind of new working the Princess website, and I used a TA this time because it seems Princess allows the TA to discount their SR's more than the RCL does.

Its fun being a 'new kid' and learning the ropes over here. Very nice forum.

Denny

Well then, Welcome to the Princess board, and glad we could be of assistance. I hope you enjoy your Hawaiian Cruise. ;)

Archived