Back from the Zaandam 04-06-10…a voyage not a cruise

jbhcw

I am hoping to get a review done at some point in time, but have been running since we got back last week, but wanted to post a short note about our trip. Even with the earthquake in San Diego on Easter Sunday, losing a stabilizer on the ship for about a day, cool weather, rough seas, and missing Lahaina it was still an amazing experience.

Our cabin, 1930 was great, we had a dip in the hall area that we could not figure out, but finally realized the bathtub had a leaking problem, also think our carpet was new.

The ship does need some work, one chandelier in the MDR was never lit and we wondered why, but just never did get around to asking. To my knowledge all elevators were working except one forward elevator.

We attended several culinary demos, tea one day, lectures by Kainoa, it was all great! Ate in the Canaletto one night which was good, not the best nor the worst Italian I’ve ever had but a fun evening. Food in the MDR was outstanding, we never did get to the Lido for dinner.

They did a fish BBQ thing at the Lido pool with fish they had gotten in Hawaii on our first or second sea day after leaving Hawaii. It was amazing to see the huge OPA (sp) fish they displayed, then carved up and then cooked, also delicious!

We had a great roll call prior to the cruise and I feel we met life long friends on this cruise. We had two meet and Greets, went to tea one day, and Cruisinetta’s ship won the shipbuilding contest!

Like I said the ship is showing some wear and tear. A huge scar on one of the elevator doors was one thing that I noticed, the service we received by the crew and officers helped to make up for some problems with the physical aspect of the ship. We were lucky that we had no a/c or plumbing problems in our cabin and had a great cabin steward, wonderful waiters and wine steward.

The crew and officers of this ship were without a doubt the best we’ve ever had in 30 some cruises. I’m not a person who pays a lot of attention to who’s who on a ship but the following were so amazing I just have to let everyone know!

Captain Darin Bowland, Master

Firmin Van Walle, Hotel Manager

Jimmy Lynett, Cruise Director

Kainoa, Travel Guide

They were the most accessible staff I’ve ever encountered, we saw them daily on the ship and they would speak to you. We enjoyed Jimmy, he was funny without being annoying and we had the feeling he basically liked what he was doing and was having a good time doing it. Kainoa was always doing a lecture, here there and everywhere and again we would see him out and about. Mr. Van Walle and Jimmy did a culinary demo on the a sea day coming back that was hilarious but also informative as Mr. Van Walle is a Master Chef and cooked a Flemish dish, we all got samples of his dish, while Jimmy microwaved a hot dog!

We got to speak with Captain Bowland the night we were in Ensenada so were able to tell him how much we appreciated his work and the work his officers and crew do.

I know this isn’t a review, hoping to get one done in time, I have started one but it is very long and rambling and also not finished!

If anyone has any specific questions I have saved all the daily programs, although I’m not at home right now but will have access to them on Monday, babysitting grandchildren out of town right now.

I titled my thread a voyage not a cruise as that is what is was, a wonderful voyage to Hawaii and back, not just a cruise. I think I’m spoiled now to a longer cruise but will have to settle for a while for shorter ones, but now I know the magic of an extended time at sea and hoping for more!

We joined the cruise in San Diego. What was going on with the cruise directors? Jimmy was CD for the 15 days and then was still on board for the last 6 days; but not as cruise director. Mike Witte (spelling?) was CD for the 6 day leg, but I understood he was DJ for the 15 day leg. Jimmy did do the very last trivia and was also introduced at the farewell.

Krazy Kruisers..we were upstairs in the DR and do think it would be considered the starboard one. Beautiful light fixtures, too bad they were not all on!

Jemima, I think Jimmy was either going home or to another ship. He did mention that he would be on the ship but not as CD..we did not see the DJ as we didn't frequent the Crow's Nest..just saw him at the shipbuilding sea trials so cannot comment on him.

We had a great roll call prior to the cruise and I feel we met life long friends on this cruise. We had two meet and Greets, went to tea one day, and Cruisinetta’s ship won the shipbuilding contest!.......

And don't forget the fun cabin crawl! :D And we feel the same way Jane, life-long friends -- so good to meet you and Frank. :)

Jane -- Couldn't agree with you more about our wonderful cruise. It was a pleasure meeting you and other Cruise Critic members. We look forward to perhaps sailing with some of you again on a future cruise. We spoke with Jimmy after he had relinquished CD duties. He said he was working behind the scenes on the 6-day segment to let Mike get his feet wet as CD. Jimmy was flying to Los Angeles upon arrival in Vancouver, where he joined the Amsterdam as CD.

Hope to run across you again in our travels.

Sue (and Don)

Archived