Why did they give us quad cabin?

Luvsprincess

I understand that about the beds, but was wondering if there is a waitlist for that type of cabin why we still have it and they dont give it to people wanting to sail.

Each cruise is capacity controlled and they have these bookings down to a science each cruise.

I think if they thought they would need it they would not have given it to you. ;)

They may have a waiting list, but they have more triple and quad cabins than they need to reach capacity of the ship. So if there is a family of 4 on the waiting list, they aren't prevented from cruising because you have a quad, they are waiting for another group of 4 to cancel.

a quad with 2 twin beds in the ceiling above our queen size bed. Looked quite weird to us as a couple in a cabin 285 sq ft with double size balcony.

We were told it sold out when it was half sold a week prior, so it was not needed and we had it a month before the cruise.

We learned from many Elite members we met at breakfast, lunch & dinner about a $299 with free air to San Juan to complete a S Carib cruise. But they would pay a cancellation fee to do it since it was the same week. So space was needed. Loads of Alaskans were on the cruise, so it was a last minute deal for them?

We learned from many Elite members we met at breakfast, lunch & dinner about a $299 with free air to San Juan to complete a S Carib cruise. But they would pay a cancellation fee to do it since it was the same week. So space was needed. Loads of Alaskans were on the cruise, so it was a last minute deal for them?

That $299 inside cabin deal was for todays Caribbean Princess repo cruise from San juan to NY.

They may have a waiting list, but they have more triple and quad cabins than they need to reach capacity of the ship. So if there is a family of 4 on the waiting list, they aren't prevented from cruising because you have a quad, they are waiting for another group of 4 to cancel.
Dan is right. Ships are capacity-controlled and it doesn't matter whether it's a cabin for 2, 3 or 4; another person can't be added to the cabin. This is why people are sometimes surprised and upset when they want to bring a son/daughter in the cabin and even though there's a pull-out couch or bed that can be pulled out, they aren't allowed to book the 3rd person.

I respectfully disagree about the beds being recessed in the ceiling, on the Emerald our "extra" beds (obstucted outside) were horribly intrusive...I hit my shoulder or my head every time I got out of bed, we had to swoop in from the bottom of the bed or make sure that we remembered to duck. Our bed was under the window, and the extra beds hung down from the sides of the walls...extending out probably a foot on each side.

I know it depends on which ship you are on, but our experience was not good.

I respectfully disagree about the beds being recessed in the ceiling, on the Emerald our "extra" beds (obstucted outside) were horribly intrusive...I hit my shoulder or my head every time I got out of bed, we had to swoop in from the bottom of the bed or make sure that we remembered to duck. Our bed was under the window, and the extra beds hung down from the sides of the walls...extending out probably a foot on each side.

What did the steward say when you asked him/her to put the bed away? What you experienced doesn't sound normal and if it were me, I'd make sure it was corrected ASAP. You could have been hurt.

Thanks for the clarification, I assumed that those exposed types were on the older ships. ;)

No, the whole bed wasn't sticking out...it was both beds, one on each side of the bed under the window, and they stuck out (the frames) out from the wall. Our friends had the same category cabin and theirs was the same as ours. No way for them to recess, they stick out like that. I wish I knew how to post pics on here so you could see.

No, the whole bed wasn't sticking out...it was both beds, one on each side of the bed under the window, and they stuck out (the frames) out from the wall. Our friends had the same category cabin and theirs was the same as ours. No way for them to recess, they stick out like that. I wish I knew how to post pics on here so you could see.

I know what you mean, when folded up they just rested against the wall right?

Exactly, but they both stuck out at least a foot from each side of our bed that was under the window. I just went to look at pics (on our old computer) and tried to email them to myself but that computer is so old that they are stuck thinking about emailing.

When I just looked at the pics again, it was apparent that it was even worse than I remembered! They "kind of" folded up against the wall, but they were not exactly even....crooked...I have a pic of my husband trying to walk by the side of our bed and leaning noticeably so that he didn't hit his head, shoulders, whatever..

I guess their minds have a pattern...I just booked a B2B on Diamond Princess and they assigned me a HC cabin. I quickly emailed my TA that it was HC, and I don't need it, but she said they know that. But I think it was because it was available for both legs of the B2B, and to go to another category with a gty, I might end up changing cabins in the middle. EM

Wasn't there just a thread a few weeks ago about whether the beds were on the wall or in the ceiling?

Seems to me that the consensus was that on inside cabins, even on the "new" ships, the beds were on the wall. In balconies and minis, the beds dropped down from the ceiling.

So if the OP is in an inside quad with two people, the beds could get in the way.

Wasn't there just a thread a few weeks ago about whether the beds were on the wall or in the ceiling?

Seems to me that the consensus was that on inside cabins, even on the "new" ships, the beds were on the wall. In balconies and minis, the beds dropped down from the ceiling.

So if the OP is in an inside quad with two people, the beds could get in the way.

I remember that discussion, I think you are correct. It seemed like it had more to do with the category cabin then the actual ship itself.

Does not matter, the extra beds are recessed so you will not notice them.

The cabins are identical.

As you can see from the picture below, they are not always recessed. This is true at least on both inside cabins and oceanview cabins on the Crown and the Emerald.

The picture shows a bed jutting out from the wall on each side of the room. A true hazard every time walking to/from the head of the bed.

2057000422_100_410709_05.09CrownPrincessCabinD-508deck9.jpg.18f506437712f4ae66cbe62484de2efb.jpg

As you can see from the picture below, they are not always recessed. This is true at least on both inside cabins and oceanview cabins on the Crown and the Emerald.

The picture shows a bed jutting out from the wall on each side of the room. A true hazard every time walking to/from the head of the bed.

This is exactly how it is on the Caribbean Princess obstructed view quad cabins. They are not only an eyesore but are also very intrusive into your space.

Archived