How much extra do you tip if you are in a Penthouse Suite?

Yeah, I'm with NJhorseman on feeling uncomfortable being expected to tip $100+ to the concierge even if we don't use him, or only make minimal use of his services! Someone had also said they tip what amounts to $17-$20 per meal the butler brings, again I think that is beyond generous, considering that is about 50% of the cost of the meal, or more, in the specialty restaurant. I was thinking that I'd have the butler bring in most dinners and unpack for us, and perhaps tip $100--am I being cheap? This is just for two of us on a 7 night cruise....and it amounts to about $15/dinner, so actually that is actually more than generous by my standards.

The way I look at it... it's $100 that he did not have before you gave it to him/her. If you appreciate what they do, then tip within your means to say thanks. There is no right or wrong amount, it's a personal decision - formed by a variety of factors.

To those who might tip $50, that's OK.... to those that might tip $250, that is equally OK! I just trust that the "thrill" of getting a generous tip from some people does not then make the Concierge or Butler look upon others as cheap. Hopefully they are worldly enough to understand.

Tom

...it is customary to tip for services that you request in addition to their normal duties.

What are their "normal duties"? It sounds like if they do ANYTHING at all -- and actually, even if they don't -- the expectation is for there to be at least $100 tip coming their way at the end of the week.

I hope I'm not coming off sounding as cheap, because I'm not -- I'm just not wealthy, and I honestly didn't know about this expectation before we booked the penthouse suite. Paying the thousands of dollars extra for that suite was quite a splurge, and I just didn't figure on/budget for an additional several hundred dollars+ in tips. I will tip what I can, but I'm starting to feel bad that it's not going to be what it "should" be.

What are their "normal duties"? It sounds like if they do ANYTHING at all -- and actually, even if they don't -- the expectation is for there to be at least $100 tip coming their way at the end of the week.

I hope I'm not coming off sounding as cheap, because I'm not -- I'm just not wealthy, and I honestly didn't know about this expectation before we booked the penthouse suite. Paying the thousands of dollars extra for that suite was quite a splurge, and I just didn't figure on/budget for an additional several hundred dollars+ in tips. I will tip what I can, but I'm starting to feel bad that it's not going to be what it "should" be.

I suppose the broadest definition would be that the Concierge & Butler make themselves available for any requests you may have. They are there for you to use. If you do not make any requests of them then you should not feel obligated to offer any gratuity. What you are paying for with your suite is the accesss to their services. It is up to you how much and what services you request and it is your decision how much those services are worth in terms of the gratuity offered.

Thank you for agreeing! There is a faction on these boards that jump all over anyone who dare to object to the tipping system. Honestly, I think that even if we asked the butler to bring us two or three meals a day and unpack for us, $100 for the week is still (in my eyes) a reasonable amount for what might be at the most less than 1 hr/day of work on our behalf. For what we are paying for the cruise and suite, it irks me to be EXPECTED to fork over hundreds more in tips. To many, the fare is the least of the cost of the cruise, and there is an expectation that you are going to tip above and beyond the DSC to those who are covered with it, and as you have seen here, even more to those that aren't.

I just can't imagine doing 2 or 3 meals a day (I also wouldn't have them unpack -- I want to know where everything is) and only tip $100 for the week. They also will be doing the daily snacks in the late afternoon, early evening, various other things and checking with you if you need anything else, etc. The butlers and concierges are for quite a few suites, not just one. You are paying for the suite and the availability of the butler and concierge. NCL states that the butlers and concierges are not in the tipping pool.

There is no right or wrong amount, it's a personal decision - formed by a variety of factors.

Its definitely a personal decision but its a bit like going to a restaurant and not tipping or only tipping 5-10% versus 15-20%. That is a personal decsion too but also impacts lives.

I think the whole tipping thing is a pile of crock. A fair salary should be paid by default and tipping should only ever be for truly exceptional service.

Its definitely a personal decision but its a bit like going to a restaurant and not tipping or only tipping 5-10% versus 15-20%. That is a personal decsion too but also impacts lives.

I think the whole tipping thing is a pile of crock. A fair salary should be paid by default and tipping should only ever be for truly exceptional service.

I couldn't agree more!! But at least at the restaurant you know what the check is. Now take a spa suite that we are getting Christmas week. The price on NCL website was about $3k each, so $6k for two. Other times perhaps it would be $4k for the week. And there are many other suites that are double that or even more! I don't think it's realistic to expect even a 10% tip based on suite price, so there needs to be something else to calibrate on.

I also agree with Girlwriter--this is a HUGE splurge for us, to the point I haven't even told DH I did this! He'll find out when we board :> No, we aren't going to go into foreclosure for doing this, but I also didn't realize we were expected to tip hundreds of dollars in addition to the DSC. I assumed that the various things the NCL advertising material says the butler and concierge do IS what they are paid for, and certainly a tip is in order like you'd tip anyone else on the ship through the DSC--but not several hundred dollars!

So--let me get this straight--the job of the butler and concierge is to be available for special requests, but if we ASK them to do anything, then that isn't what they are paid for so we should plan to pay them for every single request, right? Just want to be sure I understand this....well, to save my budget I doubt I'll make many requests of the concierge, but I still plan to indulge in the ultimate luxury of the butler bringing us some in-room and poolside meals--AND DOING MY UNPACKING, at least some of it! (or maybe not, it won't be very much!

We usually travel in suites and never "plan" on paying nor would I suggest paying the Butler and Concierge a certain amount a day.

We tip based on use . When the cruise is over my wife and I put our heads together and come up with a figure. No magic formulas. Just do what YOU think is right.

I couldn't agree more!! But at least at the restaurant you know what the check is. Now take a spa suite that we are getting Christmas week. The price on NCL website was about $3k each, so $6k for two. Other times perhaps it would be $4k for the week. And there are many other suites that are double that or even more! I don't think it's realistic to expect even a 10% tip based on suite price, so there needs to be something else to calibrate on.

I also agree with Girlwriter--this is a HUGE splurge for us, to the point I haven't even told DH I did this! He'll find out when we board :> No, we aren't going to go into foreclosure for doing this, but I also didn't realize we were expected to tip hundreds of dollars in addition to the DSC. I assumed that the various things the NCL advertising material says the butler and concierge do IS what they are paid for, and certainly a tip is in order like you'd tip anyone else on the ship through the DSC--but not several hundred dollars!

So--let me get this straight--the job of the butler and concierge is to be available for special requests, but if we ASK them to do anything, then that isn't what they are paid for so we should plan to pay them for every single request, right? Just want to be sure I understand this....well, to save my budget I doubt I'll make many requests of the concierge, but I still plan to indulge in the ultimate luxury of the butler bringing us some in-room and poolside meals--AND DOING MY UNPACKING, at least some of it! (or maybe not, it won't be very much!

I think it would be a real shame to pay that much for a suite and then feel like you couldn't afford to use the services because of the tip. These people take care of so many suites, and I'm sure they receive a very wide range of tips from people every week. There are probably people who don't tip at all (I am NOT recommending this... simply saying not everyone is aware), and then those who tip extremely generously. I am booked in an A3 to Alaska later this summer and plan to tip whatever I can, which will probably be in the middle of what has been mentioned here (not $40, but not hundredssss of dollars either- maybe around $150 for the butler, don't know yet about the concierge), but I DEFINITELY plan to take full advantage of their services. As far as I'm concerned, I paid for it already, and the tip is "extra".

I'm going to apologize in advance if this sounds like a really stupid question. This will be our first NCL cruise and our first in a suite.

On previous cruises we have always tipped for room service deliveries at that time. Is my assumption correct that we do not do that with the butler but just incorporate it in with the tip the end of the week?

We're really looking forward to the freestyle concept of not having designated dinner times, designated how to dress nights, etc.

I'm going to apologize in advance if this sounds like a really stupid question. This will be our first NCL cruise and our first in a suite.

On previous cruises we have always tipped for room service deliveries at that time. Is my assumption correct that we do not do that with the butler but just incorporate it in with the tip the end of the week?

We're really looking forward to the freestyle concept of not having designated dinner times, designated how to dress nights, etc.

No reason to applogize.....

If that's how you care to tip then that's what you should do....Its YOUR vacation...

Too many people try to tell others how to and how much money they should tip...

On previous cruises we have always tipped for room service deliveries at that time. Is my assumption correct that we do not do that with the butler but just incorporate it in with the tip the end of the week? Yes, you should give it to them at the end of the week. I always take a few thank you cards as I know I will love the service and like to add a few words to express how they made my cruise more wonderful. Rememer to bring a couple extra as you will have a room steward and also there could be others that you may want to give a little extra to even though they get part of the DSC. Also, last night we sit down and fill out STYLE cards for those who went the extra mile.[/COLOR]

You are going to love your cruise as freestyle is really the best and living the "suite life" rocks!:D

No one is expecting you to tip hundreds of dollars. Tip to what you use the concierge and butler for. Your cruise fare paid for an upgraded room and amenities, access to the Courtyard etc. If you use the butler and concierge, then tip to what is "fair". If this is cruise is a stretch for you, then reduce the amount of requests from them and you are good to go. Don't fret about this, you're going to be okay.

Poolside meals in the Courtyard, is that what you mean? If so, that is a different butler... one that services the Courtyard area. Your standard room butler is not permitted to serve you in the main pool area.

We were on the Sun last October in the Owner's Suite. It was the first time we had been in a suite. We had no idea what to expect.

We fell in love with our suite and ate dinner in the suite every night. We used the in room coffee maker a lot, and I like cream for my coffee, and Orlando, our butler, was in our room several times a day. He did more than anyone else on the ship to make our stay...incredible. So much so, that we are doing a B2B on the Sun in December...same ship, same cabin.

Does he get paid a salary by NCL? Of course. Did he give us service "above and beyond" what was required? Well, maybe he treated all of his guests that way, but that doesn't matter to me. He treated us great.

It is no different than going to a restaurant. Is there a "requirement" that you tip at a restaurant? No. Sometimes a few bucks or 10-15% is what seems "right." Service - incredible service, exemplary service, often merits 25%. It depends on the service you get.

I am sure you will make the "right decision" based on the service you got.

Now, the concierge, Karin, was wonderful, friendly, cheerful, and offered all sorts of help with making reservations for us. Unfortunately for NCL, we didn't partake of their extra-charge specialty restaurants or shore excursions. We didn't use her much at all. Saw her every day but just didn't use her...so we just gave her a "nice" tip at the end of the cruise.

One of the posters commented that some people tip a lot, some don't tip much...I am sure it all works out at the end.

"Poolside meals in the Courtyard, is that what you mean? If so, that is a different butler... one that services the Courtyard area. Your standard room butler is not permitted to serve you in the main pool area".

I think you may be mistaken - our suite butler served us dinner in the courtyard several evenings. We ordered our dinners and requested that he set-up/serve in the courtyard and it was just great! We asked that the sliding roof be opened, we had music playing and it was incredibly special and romantic. If you can, have at least one dinner in the courtyard in the evening - it's unforgettable!

We have seen the courtyard butlers out and about during the day and have ordered breakfast/lunch from them but dinner always from our suite butler.

thanks for putting things in perspective...actually now that I 'get it" about tipping it's not as big of a deal as it once was to me, and thanks for calibrating me on the suite tips. I hate it when I have no guidelines or idea about what's appropriate!

We just returned from an AE on the Gem. We had coffee, yogurt and juice delivered 5 mornings by the butler. We tipped him $10 per time at the end of the cruise. We did not ask for anything else from him.He was great and very appreciative of the tip and STYLE card we filled out. We ate all dinners in one of dining rooms or buffet and ate 5 breakfasts and lunches in Cagney's. We never asked anything from the Concierge. We made all of our own reservations and excursions.We paid a lot for the suite and felt that the service was part of the price. Our butler had 12 suites, some at the aft like us and some in the front.

We just returned from an AE on the Gem. We had coffee, yogurt and juice delivered 5 mornings by the butler. We tipped him $10 per time at the end of the cruise. We did not ask for anything else from him.He was great and very appreciative of the tip and STYLE card we filled out. We ate all dinners in one of dining rooms or buffet and ate 5 breakfasts and lunches in Cagney's. We never asked anything from the Concierge. We made all of our own reservations and excursions.We paid a lot for the suite and felt that the service was part of the price. Our butler had 12 suites, some at the aft like us and some in the front.

So how is the juice on NCL (orange)? I have found the OJ on Celebrity to be much better than on Carnival. Of course, neither are "fresh"!

Tom

I really do appreciate your post. It eases my mind a bit on this whole issue. Thanks!

:)

I thought the reason your cruise fare is so much more expensive with the suites (besides the nicer, larger rooms) is for all the extra perks including the butler on concierge. Not that I wasn't planning on tipping them for the extra or exceptional services they provided, but the amounts suggested seem really high.

I agree with Seahound. I had a phone on the Jewel but did not get one on the Dawn in January.

Interesting, because we had one on the Dawn in November. Does the class of suite matter? We usually stay in AC suites, and have had one on the Dawn & Jewel class ships. Haven't been on the Spirit yet, but will in November (but we have an Owner's Suite, so I am expecting it). The portable phone is a great perk.

:cool:

Interesting, because we had one on the Dawn in November. Does the class of suite matter? We usually stay in AC suites, and have had one on the Dawn & Jewel class ships. Haven't been on the Spirit yet, but will in November (but we have an Owner's Suite, so I am expecting it). The portable phone is a great perk.

:cool:

You could be correct. We were in an AC on the Jewel when we had the phone and were inan AD on the Dawn in January when we didn't get one.:confused::confused:

We only used ours to call the butler or the concierge....and you will have one for sure in an A3 on the Pearl....we had one in an AE when we cruised in December :)

what all can the phone be used for? Can you just call the butler on it, or can it be used to call back to the room? Anyone know if I'll have one in an A3 on the Pearl?

We had a phone in both the AD and AE on the Gem. We never needed to use it. I do agree that the extra cost of the suite includeds the services of the concierge and butler. We tipped the butler for bringing the am coffee and pm snacks because we would have tipped for room service if we had been in just a balcony room. The concierge did not do anything for us other than her basic job and then she fell short for us on embarkation and disembarkation, so we didn't tip her.

Archived