Accra or Boatyard

aim2cruise

We went out on a small sailboat for two with Captain Pete for $30 for 45 minutes (probably longer) & it was incredible. Jetskis were offered really reasonable (can't remember the exact price) & banana boats were $20 each for 30 minutes. I really recommend the sailboat though!

Cool Breeze, did you go out with Captain Pete sailing while at Lobster Alive beach or some other place?

Friends:

As you read this (or any of our posts,) please recollect that the advice you are about to receive is well worth what you paid for it....

After much research, the DH and I elected to do the BoatYard on our last visit. While we did not have a problem with crowding, we will not go back.

First, the positives:

1) Cab ride there was reasonable (don't remember the cost;)

2) Cost of admission entitled you to two drinks and a shuttle /cab ride back to the boat;

3) Plenty of chairs and umbrellas when we were there;

4) Nice beach / Bay (not great.) I am not a fan of beaches that have significant piers in the middle of them;

5) Crew was at the beach;

6) Activities for kids: rope swing into water, tramp.

Our Perceived Negatives:

1) Drinks were weak;

2) Storm Trooper (WWII not Starwars) approach to non-BoatYard beverages on the beach. Do not bring in your own water, soda/pop or alcohol - if they see you drinking items that you did not purchase from them, you will be evicted (no refund.) This was explained to us several times - perhaps they thought we did not understand English.

3) Beach Bar service was slow (even though it was not crowded,) which was even more frustrating given the parameters of #2 (above;)

4) Overall attitude of everyone but the initial ticket seller/taker was less than "Island Friendly."

Given the cost of admission, we did not find any value in this beach to warrant a return.

After much research, the DH and I elected to do the BoatYard on our last visit.

While we did not have a problem with crowding, we will not go back.

First, the positives:

1) Cab ride there was reasonable (don't remember the cost;)

2) Cost of admission entitled you to two drinks and a shuttle /cab ride back to the boat;

3) Plenty of chairs and umbrellas when we were there;

4) Nice beach / Bay (not great.) I am not a fan of beaches that have significant piers in the middle of them;

5) Crew was at the beach;

6) Activities for kids: rope swing into water, trampoline.

Our Perceived Negatives:

1) Drinks were weak;

2) Storm Trooper approach to non-BoatYard beverages on the beach. Do not bring in your own water, soda/pop or alcohol - if they see you drinking items that you did not purchase from them, you will be evicted (no refund.) This was explained to us several times - perhaps they thought we did not understand English.

3) Beach Bar service was slow (even though it was not crowded,) which was even more frustrating given the parameters of #2 (above;)

4) Overall attitude of everyone but the initial ticket seller/taker was less than "Island Friendly."

Given the cost of admission, we did not find any value in this beach to warrant a return.

Thank you for your realistic assessment.

It's always nice to have honest pros and cons from visitors! ;)

We were so happy with our day at Lobster Alive (right next door to Boatyard). The rum punches were the best we had all week & with the 3 free ones we got with our chairs & umbrella we paid $15 for, we only bought 3 more at $4 each so we paid $12 for drinks for the day. Some of our friends only had one rum punch & that was enough. We did not eat but friends said the food was really good too. Good restrooms. Good rum punches. Good friends .GREAT DAY!

When we checked with the Boatyard we were not as impressed with them although some of our friends with kids went there & loved it.

PA060217.jpg

PA060234.jpg

PA060235.jpg

PA060236.jpg

Wow, beautiful pictures! I've got a question if ya don't mind my asking. Does anyone know how the beaches are in Holetown? There are two tours that we are interested in. One ends with an hour or so on Accra beach and the other ends at Holetown beach. Can't find out much about Holetown or the beaches. I'm trying to find out which is the best beach to go to. It's just me and hubby and we really don't do much in the way of snorkeling or even swimming. Just interested I guess in the beauty. Thanks so much everyone.....

I'm trying to figure out if Accra was the beach we went to. At the port, the cab drivers tried telling us it wasn't safe to go there because of the surf/undertow/wind and finally an honest cab driver took us and said that most drivers don't like to take you to Accra because it involved driving through town which slows them down and they can't make as much money taking you to Accra. Is Accra the public beach that has a few shack like restaurants and some stalls with vendors out by the parking lot? Then if you walk from there to the beach and go left you end up at a private area with their own restaurant and rental chairs?

I'm trying to figure out if Accra was the beach we went to. At the port, the cab drivers tried telling us it wasn't safe to go there because of the surf/undertow/wind and finally an honest cab driver took us and said that most drivers don't like to take you to Accra because it involved driving through town which slows them down and they can't make as much money taking you to Accra. Is Accra the public beach that has a few shack like restaurants and some stalls with vendors out by the parking lot? Then if you walk from there to the beach and go left you end up at a private area with their own restaurant and rental chairs?

I hope someone answers you. since my last post, we decided to take a taxi and not rent a car..Im curious if you just described Accra??? :D

Archived