Do you order multiple courses in the MDR?

The wife and I each order an entree and then decide on another to share. As for dessert more times than not we skip it and head to the Champagne Bar or Vintages for petite fours and chocolate covered strawberries.

I will often order an appetizer and a soup, or two appetizers.

One night on my last cruise, my roomie & I were both having a hard time deciding between two entrees. Turned out we were both considering the same entree, so we each ordered the other entree we were considering, and got one order of the common one to share.

On one cruise, we dined with a couple, and each night, her husband ordered a Salad, Shrimp cocktail and Soup, for dessert, he had 3 differant ones. He was about 5' 6 140 lbs and this went on for the 10 nights of our cruise. My DH asked, does he eat like this all the time. LOL

Wow, I cannot believe the amount of food some folk eat. We are just back from Freedom Apr 18th sailing & we were absolutely disgusted at the food people ate and the waste that went on. To think that some many people in the world are starving ... ridiculous & shameful. It is not about the weight gain people, it should be about eating for nourishment & the odd bit of indulgence. I am greatly disturbed by some of the comments here. Not my issue & am sure I'll get blasted for it, but just making my opinion known. Anyone else share my opninion?

Wow, I cannot believe the amount of food some folk eat. We are just back from Freedom Apr 18th sailing & we were absolutely disgusted at the food people ate and the waste that went on. To think that some many people in the world are starving ... ridiculous & shameful. It is not about the weight gain people, it should be about eating for nourishment & the odd bit of indulgence. I am greatly disturbed by some of the comments here. Not my issue & am sure I'll get blasted for it, but just making my opinion known. Anyone else share my opninion?

Maybe a little bit, by some of the more extreme examples, but most of the comments seem pretty reasonable to me. Ordering 5 lobsters is a big gluttonous, but having a salad AND an appetizer and maybe occasionally trying a second entree is not disgusting or disturbing.

As long as the food is not wasted/thrown away I really don't care what people order. Shameful???

You bet I do....most every night I get extra of something.....:D Have also been known to order an appertizer as my main course.

I would never judge what someone order's....it's no one's business but theirs.

That's true. I've seen massfriends with 6 scallop rissoto followed by 4 desserts. She's not shy! (love ya, D :p)

Maybe a little bit, by some of the more extreme examples, but most of the comments seem pretty reasonable to me. Ordering 5 lobsters is a big gluttonous, but having a salad AND an appetizer and maybe occasionally trying a second entree is not disgusting or disturbing.

I agree...ordering a soup and a salad is not out of line. Those are usually served as a separate course anyway.

I agree about the 5 lobsters...good grief!!!:rolleyes:

My husband and I always always get extra things. Sometimes there are things that sounds good and when it arrives, it does not taste like what you were hoping it would be and I feel no way about not eating it. I would feel worst if I eat it just because I ordered it. It's got to be worth my while.

If I am going to plan my cruise and live on the computer for months coz I am so obsessed about cruising, you better believe I will enjoy my food and leave the ones I don't care for, and feel no way about. I know there are third world countries etc. etc. and it is sinful to waste things, I know coz I came from one but trust me, cruising for me is all about the beaches and the food.

Bevie

I have on more than one cruise mentioned that something was so good I could eat it every night. They took me literally and brought it again every night. I of course had to eat it not to be rude:)

I don't know where y'all have the room for all that food! :) I rarely even order the lobster tails, much less 5 of them! :eek: I don't think they are very good on RCCL.

I order one appetizer, and either a soup or salad (whichever appeals to me) and one entree (except on the HAL Eurodam where my DH and I shared an order of coconut shrimp. We had never had it and now which I had ordered that as my main entree...delicious!) and one dessert. My DH does the same, but sometimes orders two desserts (that I take a bite out of. :D )

I agree. None of the cruise ship lobster is actually very good, so I skipped it last week and went with the prime rib.

I did order a soup or salad in addition to another appetizer once or twice, but that's it as far as extra's.

I agree. None of the cruise ship lobster is actually very good, so I skipped it last week and went with the prime rib.

I agree with you on this one. I don't remember the last time I ordered lobster on a ship. The prime rib has been much better and it is a large enough cut you don't need much more to eat.

The good old "children starving in China" bit didn't work on me as a kid...probably because when I eventually asked my mom if we could send the veggies (that I wouldn't eat) over to the starving kids, she didn't have an answer. :p

IMHO, you'd be far more likely to see the unbridled gluttony in the Windjammer than in the MDR. Now those folks need a good scoldin'! :D

Most of the time I skip the salad & appetizer...I may have one of the cold soups...but I have been known to ask for a "taste or sample" of some of the pasta dishes if I can't make up my mind...dessert...usually no room for 1 let alone 2..unless it's maybe cake & ice cream..

Like someone said, most menus now have appetizers, soups and salads all listed together. I usually order two things from that side of the menu, sometimes even three (appetizer, soup and salad), though usually that's too much, one entree and one dessert. Sometimes if nothing on the starter side of the menu appeals I order an appetizer size portion of the pasta dish of the day.

I didn't know you could order smaller portion sizes of the pasta! A lot of times I will think the pasta sounds good but I will also want a "main" entree so I forgo the pasta. I would love to have a small side dish of the featured pasta dish...as an appetizer or just along with my main course. Has anyone else tried this?

Do you order multiple appetizers or desserts, or even entrees, or do you stick to one of each most nights?

How do you view people who do order more then one of something?

We "view" those ordering more than one of anything the same as we "view" how others are dressed. We don't care!!

DH and I used to order a couple of things each (me starters, him entrees), but it's just super impossible to do anymore. I sometimes can't even do a full entree if I'm planning on any type of desert. Usually I'll either do a couple starters or an entree and be more than full. Plus there's dinner rolls too so one of those just tops me off. DH will try 2 entrees now and then but generally he sticks to one of each course these days. Exception being lobster night, of course. :)

Don't know how we did it in the past!!??

~Lisa :p

You bet I do....most every night I get extra of something.....:D Have also been known to order an appertizer as my main course.

I would never judge what someone order's....it's no one's business but theirs.

I didn't know you could order smaller portion sizes of the pasta! A lot of times I will think the pasta sounds good but I will also want a "main" entree so I forgo the pasta. I would love to have a small side dish of the featured pasta dish...as an appetizer or just along with my main course. Has anyone else tried this?

On our last cruise, DS ordered an App size portion of one of the entrees almost every night. He wanted to try the entrees but knew he would not be able to eat 2 entrees so he ordered one for his appetizer. Wait staff seemed very accustomed to doing this.

We usually order two appetizers, one entree and one dessert each.

On the AOS the waiter would often bring us another entree to try without asking.

As for the comment about wastage, there is going to be waste anyways. The kitchen prepares a set number of meals each night (just like all inclusive resorts do) - if passengers don't eat them they will get fed to the fish :) Either way, those extra meals aren't going to starving kids around the world.

I do this all the time; the only problem is that often the 'small, appetizer' portion is really big, and so good I end up eating it all--possibly because they are already plated? Maybe if you really emphsize 'small', that would help.

...As for the comment about wastage, there is going to be waste anyways. The kitchen prepares a set number of meals each night (just like all inclusive resorts do) - if passengers don't eat them they will get fed to the fish :) Either way, those extra meals aren't going to starving kids around the world.

No, first the left over lamb chops make their way into the lamb pita at lunch, then those leftovers go into the mystery gristle soup, then eventually something in the windjammer before they get dumped :)

Archived