Almost no Princess in Caribbean Summer 2011?

cdamion

It is probably just me, but I do not see the attraction to the Caribbean in the summer, too HOT! Fall, winter and spring yea, summer no. JMHO.

I'd rather be hot in St. Maarten than hot on Long Island. I LOVE the Caribbean anytime, and summer is convenient for those of us who work in schools.

Call it what you want, but the point remains that they have plenty of ships and choices in the region in Summer 2011. Only 4 ships doing the popular 7 day itineraries - that's still 4 more than Princess has for that same time period. Plus if you want something different they also give you the option of a 3, 4 or 9 day itinerary. They have Eastern, Western and Southern itinerary options and ships home-ported in 6 different locations. Not disputing that they had more options in the past, but they seem to offer plenty of choices compared to Princess.

I didnt say that Royal didnt have choices. All i was saying is the they arnt in the caribbean as much as they use to during the summer. What I would like to see is the older ships like grandure and enchantment on thses itineries. They have a charm that you dont see anymore in the newer ships. And the bottom line is the Royal caribbanhas i changing and that was my point.

It is probably just me, but I do not see the attraction to the Caribbean in the summer, too HOT! Fall, winter and spring yea, summer no. JMHO.

I beg to differ.

I always cruise in either July or August to the Caribbean to get away from the heat.

In NY the weather is brutal very hot, humid, & sweaty.

Where as the Caribbean temperatures are almost always in the 80s. Which is perfect!!!!

They have Eastern, Western and Southern itinerary options and ships home-ported in 6 different locations. Not disputing that they had more options in the past, but they seem to offer plenty of choices compared to Princess.

Years ago, Princess had 3 itineraries- Eastern, Western, & Southern to the Caribbean during the summer months.

Now it's almost nil. :rolleyes:

Sad that Princess announced that seven of it's seventeen ships will be in the Europe offering 42 different itineraries including seven new sailings and over 130 different ports in all.

Princess isn't listening to their loyal cruisers and RC is.

In 2011-12 RC ship Enchantment of the Seas will continue year-round service from Baltimore. Explorer of the Seas will sail from Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ, and Jewel of the Seas will depart from Boston. The line will also feature popular mega-ship Oasis and now new sister Allure of the Seas both sailing from Florida's Port Everglades.

The bottom line is that Princess, like other cruiselines, are following demand and where they can make the most money. The truth of the matter is that demand in Europe is a lot higher than in the Caribbean in the summer and Princess (and other cruiselines) can sell the same cabins at a premium price. Princess is a "for profit" business.

Unlike land-based resorts, cruise ships are moveable and can, and will, be moved to where demand is. RCI isn't all bad and if you want to cruise the Caribbean in the summer, you have options.

RCI seemes to be pulling out of the Caribbeanto me. Going to Europe more and more.

Given what's happening to the euro and its impact on places like Greece, we'll see how long the infatuation the major cruise lines have with European cruise itineraries lasts.

Given what's happening to the euro and its impact on places like Greece, we'll see how long the infatuation the major cruise lines have with European cruise itineraries lasts.

What do you mean

The bottom line is that Princess, like other cruiselines, are following demand and where they can make the most money. The truth of the matter is that demand in Europe is a lot higher than in the Caribbean in the summer and Princess (and other cruiselines) can sell the same cabins at a premium price. Princess is a "for profit" business.

Unlike land-based resorts, cruise ships are moveable and can, and will, be moved to where demand is. RCI isn't all bad and if you want to cruise the Caribbean in the summer, you have options.

Thank You. Thats what it boils down to.MONEY

It's the same for me too, but I understand why some people, teachers for example might want to go to the Caribbean in the summer when they have time off. For me, I love the new summer Canada/NE itineraries and think that was a great idea.

Many people only get 2 or 3 weeks vacation for the year, teachers get that during the school year, plus the summer off, so I doubt they will miss the Caribbean that much , But I do agree that many people like going to Canada during the summer, we went last September and it was a bit too cool. Same goes for Europe, summer is the ideal time to go there.

Princess isn't pulling out of the Caribbean "because they aren't listening to their loyal customers", they are pulling out of the Caribbean because apparently cruises elsewhere are more profitable.

It's very nice that you have thoroughly enjoyed your summertime Caribbean cruises in the past, but Princess has some very expensive ships on which they would like to make as much money as possible. If they believe the Caribbean in the summer out of FL is over-capacity (especially with the two RCI behemoths coming online), then it makes perfect sense to pull out of that market. It's not exactly a fountain of revenue even during the wintertime, except around holidays.

Really, for families that want to take their kids to the Caribbean, there are far more "kid-friendly" lines than Princess to cover that market.

SirWired

I beg to differ.

I always cruise in either July or August to the Caribbean to get away from the heat.

In NY the weather is brutal very hot' date=' [i']humid, & sweaty.

Where as the Caribbean temperatures are almost always in the 80s. Which is perfect!!!!

[/i]

Very true!!

...and what exactly is wrong with a nice tropical cruise to Canada? You can swim in nice warm waters of 65-70 degrees. Bask in the sometimes sun on a nice grey beach where you can play volleyball on, or bury your toes in the rocks. Look up at the sky as the pine needles wave in the northern breeze. Not only that, you would get to see how people live in exotic, tropical, faraway locations such as Boston. :cool:

Love Canada, but I live in New England and it seems silly to drive south to New York to get a cruise north that nearly sails by my house. Due to our work schedules, we can only vacation the first 2 weeks in August. Sure glad we picked the Emerald to the Caribbean this summer. Next time, I might have to convince the rest of the family to take that longed-for cruise to Alaska.:D

I guess as a DINK I never pay attention to the summer schedules in the caribbean b/c we're looking to do Alaska.

Although the s. caribbean in November was hot and humid enough for us, I can't imagine attempting it in June/July/August.

But pp are right, it's all about money and where the lines can make the most.

It seemed to me that Princess hasn't really had summer Caribbean cruises for some time now. Mostly Alaska and Europe with a few other itineraries such as Eastern Canada/New England. A few years ago the Regal Princess did go RT to Hawaii -- that one would be nice to have as an option.

It seems with the Caribbean, especially in the late summer, there's often problems due to hurricanes and tropical storms. Not only with the ports, but also flights getting into southern Florida.

Hopefully Princess won't move most of its ships to Europe in the future as Princess is known for having a variety of itineraries. But it seems when a market is over-saturated, the cruiselines have to compete for passengers...and if many aren't willing to travel to that one area, the cruiselines' business goes down.

I wanted our kids and grandkids to cruise with us summer of 2011 for our 50th

wedding anniversary. I much prefer Princess, but will do RCCL out of FLL if we

have to. Darn......best laid plans.

RCCL President Adam Goldstein announced last week that this year - for the first time - more Europeans than Americans will be sailing RCCL ships in Europe.

The Europeans are quite happy with where the Euro is, and is going. It's still far stronger than the US Dollar. And prices onboard the European sailings are in US Dollars !!

Quite a bargain for people holding Euros.

Also quite a good deal for RCCL, who will be making more money with the Europeans onboard.

RCCL President Adam Goldstein announced last week that this year - for the first time - more Europeans than Americans will be sailing RCCL ships in Europe.

The Europeans are quite happy with where the Euro is, and is going. It's still far stronger than the US Dollar. And prices onboard the European sailings are in US Dollars !!

Also quite a good deal for RCCL, who will be making more money with the Europeans onboard.

Europeans are not happy with where the Euro is and it is certainly not stronger than the US dollar. If only....

(Reuters) - The euro tumbled to a fresh one-year low against the dollar on Tuesday amid fears that aid for Greece may not prevent debt crises in other euro zone countries, prompting investors to seek shelter in the U.S. currency..

Europeans are not happy with where the Euro is and it is certainly not stronger than the US dollar. If only....

(Reuters) - The euro tumbled to a fresh one-year low against the dollar on Tuesday amid fears that aid for Greece may not prevent debt crises in other euro zone countries, prompting investors to seek shelter in the U.S. currency..

Living in Norway (not using Euro) I am very happy with both the weak dollar and euro for me personally, but in regard to the Princess itineraries: cruising has become increasingly popular in Europe over the past few years, so it doesn't surprise me that cruise lines are adding more European itineraries. For Europeans it is obviously easier (and usually cheaper) to embark from a European port than for instance a FL port, and as having been said over: it has nothing to do with not listening to customers, it's got everything to do with where they believe they will make most profit. There is nothing wrong with that, they are a business and it is their job to make money.

I understand that if you don't wish to sail any other cruise line than Princess it is disappointing that they have taken away certain itineraries, but from what I have seen there are plenty of cruise ships sailing the Caribbean still from other cruise lines - and I am sure it would take a lot to have a bad cruise even sailing a different line.

Of course it's stronger than the US $...it's worth more. Prices onboard are in US so rather than Europeans spending it in Europe, they're at least getting a 25 - 27% discount on US priced cruises. It isn't as strong as it was, but it's still stronger than the US$ right now. With the Euro dropping, it's also making it cheaper for the cruiselines to be cruising there than it was. Excursions, supplies, fuel, are all cheaper than it was a year ago if you're paying in US$.

It looks like Princess' only presence in the Caribbean summer 2011 will be out of NY. In May 2011 Princess will have a fleet of 16 ships (was 17, but Royal is going to P&O in May '11).

Only the Caribbean Princess will be available for Bermuda/Caribbean cruises out of NY. This leaves 15 ships which will all be elsewhere:

2 will be in Australia

7 will be in Europe

6 will be in Alaska

The 2 monstrosities ...Oasis and Allure will own the Caribbean in summer

of 2011.

I read where they both don't carry 'tenders' so can't

stop at Cayman for instance. I don't care for their ports

or their prices....or the fact that it is Hurricane season.

I'll pass.

:cool::cool:

I get the underlying vibe in this thread that a few people are wondering why an 'American' cruise line is abandoning Americans during the busiest season of the year for vacations...

Also, why is the CARIBBEAN Princess in NEW YORK anyway? That has always bugged me. I thought it was said at one time she wouldn't leave the region that bore her name?

I get the underlying vibe in this thread that a few people are wondering why an 'American' cruise line is abandoning Americans during the busiest season of the year for vacations...

Also, why is the CARIBBEAN Princess in NEW YORK anyway? That has always bugged me. I thought it was said at one time she wouldn't leave the region that bore her name?

There are plenty of Americans who are on Princess ships through out the world "during the busiest season of the year". For example, many Americans want to go to Alaska or Europe and Princess can make more money with the ships there.

The Caribbean Princess is sailing some of their sailings to the Caribbean in the summer. They are just doing it out of NYC.

Archived