Which Bermuda Cruiseline?

mrrocky123

Hi, this is my first post!:) My hubby and I (in our late 20's) are thinking about doing a Bermuda cruise. Based on itinerary we like Holland America but like the freestyle theme of NCL. NCL is in port for less though.

Any suggestions on which cruiseline to go with?! We are confused!

NCL will be more relaxed...no formal nights...no need to get dressed for dinner in anything fancier than khakis (you may get more dressed up if you wish)...the entire ship has open seating (Freestyle) dining, and NCL has a large assortment of specialty restaurants serving various cuisines, at a modest additional cost of $10-$25 per person. (The main dining rooms, buffet, room service and a fast food-type restaurant are included in your basic cruise fare .) NCL will likely have a slightly younger average passenger age than Holland America.

Without knowing anything about you, my guess is NCL might appeal to you more than Holland America.

By the way, NCL's docking site at the Royal Naval Dockyard has readily available public bus and ferry service to anywhere in Bermuda, and since Holland America can't dock in St. George's and has to tender in (and has already had to cancel even that a couple of times already this season), a big piece of HA's itinerary advantage has been lost, in my opinion. The extra time HA spends in Bermuda is still a plus, however.

Maam,

WELCOME aboard to Cruising as well Cruise Critic.

The Bermuda Islands to me are one of the nicest Island cahins in the world as well the people who live there.

Even Mayor of NYC, NY Michael Bloomberg now owns Two Houses so he could have two vehicles...:D

The choice is really your and your spouses. Being not much time on each ship.. IMHO Holland American line ( HAL ) will be your best. They dock in the City of Hamilton. Yes that's where most ships used to go and only the ones which can and do fit dock there now.

That old adage.. ( you get what you pay for ) holds so fast and true.

What ever you choose between the cheaper one or longer/ better one is really only your choice. But have fun and enjoy !;)

The City of Hamilton by the way where the ship is the Ferry Terminal is right next to it.. the Bus terminal is just a short walk up the hill.

The majority of Buses and/or Ferries go to Hamilton..and passengers do transfer to other craft.. so it is the very best place a Ship may be at...

Hi, this is my first post!:) My hubby and I (in our late 20's) are thinking about doing a Bermuda cruise. Based on itinerary we like Holland America but like the freestyle theme of NCL. NCL is in port for less though.

Thanks to both of you.:)

I'm torn b/c although Holland has us in Bermuda longer I've read that it doesn't attract the 20-30's age group. Not sure if that's even true.

At your age you will definitely feel out of place on Holland America. Unless you don't mind the average age of your fellow passengers being 65+.

When do you want to go and where from? Carnival just announced a lot of cruises to Bermuda in 2011 from east coast (Baltimore, Norfolk (only 1), Charleston). We will def. go from Charleston. They will dock at King's Wharf aka the dockyard. Not the night life etc while docked that you find on other itineraries but the "crowd" will likely be younger. I'm sure the exact dates are on their website now.

We just did the NCL. We are not partial to anyone line so I am not blowing NCL's horn, but I would much rather dock in King's Wharf than Hamilton. To me, Hamilton is just a busy city. You can go anywhere from King's Wharf because as an earlier poster stated, the ferry stop and bus stop is right there, and it's really only 20-30 mins by ferry to Hamilton or St. George, and both are very pretty rides. At night, Snorkel Park has entertainment right at the beach and you can walk fthere from the ship in KW. The freestyle thing works well when you are docked for 3 days, no worry about having to rush back at a specific time for dining. We liked this part the most. There were all ages on the NCL ship, you will find lots of people your age and there was plenty of activities geared to this age-lots of dancing, 2 for 1 drink specials, etc

Either way, Bermuda is beautiful and you will love it.

As mentioned previously, you dont mention which port you prefer to leave from. Being in your 20's would think that Carnival and Royal Carribbean along with NCL would be the best fit for you two age wise.

As noted, Carnival has listed more Bermuda cruises for 2011. Right now RCI and Celebrity both have Bermuda cruises leaving from NJ and Baltimore. We look forward to those that spend 3 days in King's Wharf and are 7 day cruises. We did a 5 day on RCI and the time in Bermuda was to short so looking forward to our Celebrity Summit 7 day this August where we'll be able to dock for 3 days.

Thanks everyone for your help!!!!

We are looking to go this summer, preferably a July 2010 sail date and leave from NYC. We would definitely like to be a cruise ship where we can meet people around our age so if HAL is mostly 65+ then I'm not sure if that would be the best choice for us.

.... The freestyle thing works well when you are docked for 3 days, no worry about having to rush back at a specific time for dining. We liked this part the most....

cruisenreunion makes a very good point here. This is definitely something to think about.

Royal Caribbean is in port the least I believe of all of these because they only do 5 day cruises to Bermuda now. I was on HAL Veendam last week for a ship inspection. I didn't want to post my opinions because people were saying how great it was but then explain to me how you have ship inspection for travel agents and the cabins you put out for show have mold in the shower (I took pictures of more than 1 shower with mold to prove it), the worst dining service and the food was so bland that if i was blindfolded I wouldn't know if the pasta was wet cardboard or pasta (before using the backspace I saw I had typed paste and that is a word that could have been used too). Just not impressed. When we exited the ship I would say that 75% of the people on line were at least 60 years old or older. I was at a table of 6 other travel agents and it wasn't just me whining and complaining. Actually they were because they were the ones asking for wine, etc. and just getting the old okee doke from the waiters. I am doing a ship inspection of the NCL Jewel today so I can report back later on that but I don't think the Veendam is for me.

Royal Caribbean is in port the least I believe of all of these because they only do 5 day cruises to Bermuda now. I was on HAL Veendam last week for a ship inspection. I didn't want to post my opinions because people were saying how great it was but then explain to me how you have ship inspection for travel agents and the cabins you put out for show have mold in the shower (I took pictures of more than 1 shower with mold to prove it), the worst dining service and the food was so bland that if i was blindfolded I wouldn't know if the pasta was wet cardboard or pasta (before using the backspace I saw I had typed paste and that is a word that could have been used too). Just not impressed. When we exited the ship I would say that 75% of the people on line were at least 60 years old or older. I was at a table of 6 other travel agents and it wasn't just me whining and complaining. Actually they were because they were the ones asking for wine, etc. and just getting the old okee doke from the waiters. I am doing a ship inspection of the NCL Jewel today so I can report back later on that but I don't think the Veendam is for me.

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the Veendam cause of "more" time in Bermuda. I then did my research about the tendering and cost and the ship itself and changed my mind. Booked the Spirit again...love that ship! Thanks again I feel like you validated my decision.

HI,

My husband and I have sailed on Carnival and found it to be a good crowd. Don't be afraid of some of the negative reviews! We are taking our young kids in late July on RCL Explorer b/c of all the activities onboard. When we booked, Celebrity Summit had some good deals, a little bit upscale from RCL (same parent company) and you get an extra day in Bermuda. Next time we will consider it, but we don't know how our kids will be so booked a shorter cruise. I am now joking with my husband about driving from Bayonne to Newark and flying back to Bermuda after we disembark!

Just wanted to mention Celebrity:) I think the Summit docks in NYC rather than the NJ side

My wife and I just came back on Sunday on the NCL Dawn. It was our first cruise and it was a great expereince. We're both 42, but look like 32 :) and there were a nice group of young people aboard with us. We also meet some nice older people as well. The free style dining work really well for us and the 3 days at port was just right. Maybe another day would be better but in 3 days you really have enough time to see the Island (Day 1 we went to St George- the caves/Tabacco bay/perfume factory/shopping then went to Hamilton for the harbor festival nigth. Day 2 spent all day at the beach. Starting from Horseshoe and walked up to Warick bay- was beautiful. Day 3 we shopped at dockyard and took a cat/snorkel boat ride and even had an hour afterwards for more shopping before disembarking). The entertainment on the Dawn was really professional and there was something to do every night until 12/1am. Very friendly crew members. A great first cruise experience.

• 2 weeks later...

NCL would be a better choice, I think, but do careful research on the boards so you can avoid some of their problems. We've been on it twice, and the price was good, but if we hadn't done our homework on Cruisecritic before we had gone, we wouldn't have had nearly as great a time. Go with open eyes, appreciate that it can be gotten for a lower price than other lines, and don't expect the level of luxury that you might get on HAL, and you'll have a great time.

At your age you will definitely feel out of place on Holland America. Unless you don't mind the average age of your fellow passengers being 65+.

I could be wrong and I will let everyone know when I return but I don't expect that to be true on a cruise out of New York City. I took my first HAL cruise last December out of Florida and while it was an older demographic the average age was not 65+. The food and service were impressive.

In any case since I don't care much for the Kings Wharf/Dockyard, did it on Explorer of the Seas and other cruise ships on one day stops. Because HAL is offering St. George and Hamilton and an extra day in Bermuda I ended up booking the Veendam over my fave Celebrity because for me Bermuda takes priority over the ship. Done NCL, hopefully never again, and Carnival even though the dock is 25 minutes away is near the bottom of my list too.

If HAL was not doing the best itinerary I would be on Celebrity this June 13 but I felt this choice was about Bermuda not the ship. Also I have doubts about how long the HAL option will be available since the cruise lines have fewer and fewer ships that can do Hamilton. The reason the ships are doing the Dockyard these days is not because it is good, it is because the cruise lines have been retiring the ships that can dock at Hamilton and St. George because they make more revenue from mega ships. So I want to do the preferable itinerary while it is still available. I am sure in the future there won't be a shortage of ships doing the Dockyard.

We just did the NCL. We are not partial to anyone line so I am not blowing NCL's horn, but I would much rather dock in King's Wharf than Hamilton. To me, Hamilton is just a busy city. You can go anywhere from King's Wharf because as an earlier poster stated, the ferry stop and bus stop is right there, and it's really only 20-30 mins by ferry to Hamilton or St. George, and both are very pretty rides. At night, Snorkel Park has entertainment right at the beach and you can walk fthere from the ship in KW. The freestyle thing works well when you are docked for 3 days, no worry about having to rush back at a specific time for dining. We liked this part the most. There were all ages on the NCL ship, you will find lots of people your age and there was plenty of activities geared to this age-lots of dancing, 2 for 1 drink specials, etc

I'm booked for the HAL Veendam 6/27 Bermuda sailing and have booked the anytime dining, so it's available on HAL too.

Archived