Pocket Knives

What is the latest scoop on bringing small pocket knives onboard? We are leaving this afternoon and DH asked if he could bring his. RC website's list of prohibited items says knives over 4" in length are prohibited, so I'm assuming his little 2" blade would be OK.

But, I was looking for recent experiences...are they still confiscating?

What is the latest scoop on bringing small pocket knives onboard? We are leaving this afternoon and DH asked if he could bring his. RC website's list of prohibited items says knives over 4" in length are prohibited, so I'm assuming his little 2" blade would be OK.

tell him to leave it home. He's going on a cruise, not a camping trip

I always bring my swiss army knife. Its pretty small, but I never travel without it.

Are you flying to or from? They will (could) confiscate it at TSA. I can't imagine what you would need a SAK for on a cruise. I usually travel with mine when we drive places (old Girl Scout instincts) but wouldn't risk them taking it from me when flying/cruising.

Are you flying to or from? They will (could) confiscate it at TSA. I can't imagine what you would need a SAK for on a cruise. I usually travel with mine when we drive places (old Girl Scout instincts) but wouldn't risk them taking it from me when flying/cruising.

You are 100% right about airlines, but I don't fly.. we drive everrywhere.. and you would be surprised about needing a sak. it has a scewdriver, and a corkscrew.. We have been out and about when the knive came in handy to cut up a snack, I also bring a mini tool set with a tiny pair of pliers..

They took my 2 inch knife I use to cut my pills.

They told me get a pill cutter.

It looks like things are changing...but I have had this knife since 1977. If it is an issue it can stay in the car....

They took my 2 inch knife I use to cut my pills.

They told me get a pill cutter.

When was your cruise? I saw back in the February time frame they were taking them, but then the website rules changed again to less than 4" acceptable.

My Dh found out that military issue Leatherrman was a really big no- no.. Not a big blade or anything but it is a multi tool and it is not allowed to be carried on board the confiscated it but returned it at the end of the cruise..Safer to say just don't bring the things..

I always carry a small pocket knife with me. Two months ago we were at the airport for our flight to Miami to board the Majesty. As we were getting ready to go through security, I realized that I still had my knife in my pocket. I gave it to DW and she put it in her purse. When it went through x-ray, it must have blended with all of the other stuff in her purse. Security didn't catch it. When we go to the port, she put it in her purse again and it made it through port security also.

My Swiss Army knife was confiscated at the third port stop when I returned.

Supposed to be returned on disembarkation, but nobody seemed to know where to pick it up. Not worth the hassle.

If it is in your checked luggage, it appears to be no problem. In your pocket or hand stuff on return--depends on the security guy/gal on duty.

Of course, if you have a steak on board, you have access to a bigger knife, but that is beside the point.

DH's small leatherman made it through security in our luggage in March on Liberty. He did have to go to the "naughty room" for his dive knife though which was also in our luggage. They kept that. On the day of his dive he had to go to security to get it, return it after the dive and retrieve it at the end of our cruise.

You are 100% right about airlines, but I don't fly.. we drive everrywhere.. and you would be surprised about needing a sak. it has a scewdriver, and a corkscrew.. We have been out and about when the knive came in handy to cut up a snack, I also bring a mini tool set with a tiny pair of pliers..

And that´s the dealbreaker;):p:D:D

In Baltimore last summer, DH has his small pocketknife which he was told he couldn't bring onboard when we started to go through security (Grandeur). We were really early, like 10:30 and we drove to the port, and there was no real line so he just took it back to the car. We don't even bother taking it anymore. I do keep a pair of baby fingernail scissors (blunt nose) to cut small things such as tags off of clothes, stray threads, etc. and we always have a pair of nail clippers, but the whole knife thing is kind of funny considering there are plenty of knives onboard in all the dining areas.

My SAK has a bottle top opener... ..Will wonders never cease!!!... Now, if I am on some wild beach, with a weird bottle of beer that you can't twist off,,, I am READY..

tell him to leave it home. He's going on a cruise, not a camping trip

I cannot begin to tell how many times my mini pocket knife has come in handy. Or how many times I heard someone ask, " does anybody have a knife?" True....it's a cruise but I was a Boy Scout and the motto is " Be prepared."

Just wondering: Why would anyone need to carry a knife in everday life let alone on a cruise ?

Why wouldn't someone need one? It's not like we're talking about switchblades, lol. It's just a small pocketknife. Almost every man I know carries one. My DH and sons use them for a variety of reasons.

Why wouldn't someone need one? It's not like we're talking about switchblades, lol. It's just a small pocketknife. Almost every man I know carries one. My DH and sons use them for a variety of reasons.

I do not know of anyone that carries one.

I do not know of anyone that carries one.

Most men in the US carry them. As you can see from other posters on this thread, it's not unusual. And, my DH and sons were all boy scouts as another poster mentioned.

I typically have one on me whenever I leave the house. I have several, ranging from a tactical folder which is military grade to a mini Leatherman style. The mini has screwdrivers, blade, and a small pliers. I use it enough to have it on me: loose car antenna, cut open a box, pry open pain can lid, etc.

Archived