Falmouth?

m steve

I just took a look at the excursions out of Falmouth and I have to say I am disappointed, for most of them you have to go to Mo Bay or Ocho Rios and they are very expensive, what is the point of docking there, if you have to transfer to another port for excursions. DH likes to dive for the same excursion you pay $99 out of Ocho Rios, $139 out of Falmouth and you have to travel 1 hour by bus each way, what is the point?

I just took a look at the excursions out of Falmouth and I have to say I am disappointed, for most of them you have to go to Mo Bay or Ocho Rios and they are very expensive, what is the point of docking there, if you have to transfer to another port for excursions. DH likes to dive for the same excursion you pay $99 out of Ocho Rios, $139 out of Falmouth and you have to travel 1 hour by bus each way, what is the point?

Well said. What benefit is it to the passenger to have to pay more so you can spend more time on a bus and less time doing what you want? After the pier is finished and the town is fixed up and there is development in the area then it will probably be a worthwhile port. But, the rush to put a ship there while it is still under construction seems not to be in the passenger's best interest. I think HAL has it about right - they sent someone down there to see first hand that it was not ready to receive passengers.

It's really to the cruise lines' advantage to not give info, no matter what. 1) Stay on ship = more money for cruise or

2) Unsure of where you are docking prevents you from booking something (much cheaper) on your own.Ergo you do the ship's excursions. I truly feel they aren't in control, but there is a real upside to not providing your passengers with clearer more up to date information.IMHO.

Karen

I am planning on hanging out on the ship no matter what. Been to Ochos enough. Pretty country though if you have not seen it!

Our January 10th cruise on the Navigator OTS is scheduled to dock at Falmouth. I hope we do get there. The beaches on that coast look awesome. If we get there we will take a taxi to a beach resort and enjoy the day.

Do you have any information on the resort and the cost?

In order to enhance our guests' cruise experience, the port call at Falmouth,

on January 5, 2011, has been replaced by a port call to Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

Arrival and departure times have been adjusted accordingly

:p Which I'm ok with, we're not fans of the hour long bus ride to and from an excursion.

In order to enhance our guests' cruise experience, the port call at Falmouth,

on January 5, 2011, has been replaced by a port call to Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

Arrival and departure times have been adjusted accordingly

:p Which I'm ok with, we're not fans of the hour long bus ride to and from an excursion.

What cruise line, ship and date. I would love to get an E-mail like that one!

Dunn's River Falls is a very long drive from Montego Bay. You might want to think about spending the day on the beach at Negril, which is awesome, or perhaps a drive up to Mayfield Falls which is a beautiful drive through the mountains followed by a much less commercial river walk.

The cruise line is indicating it is a 90 minute drive from Falmouth to Negril. Is this about right? We would love to go to Negril, but will not waste 3 hours on a bus if we can go to a beach near the port in Falmouth.

I just checked our itinerary (from "my account" on HAL) for our January Western Carib cruise and I was pleasantly surprised to see Ocho Rios where Falmouth once was. I haven't been notified officially but I'm guessing lots of Falmouth arrivals will be changed.

Holland America, Eurodam 1-2-2011

Lucky you! I think Royal Caribbean is hell bent on using the port whether or not it is ready since they are the co-developers. We are on the Voyager of the Seas Jan 16 and they have excursions for Falmouth up.

The cruise line is indicating it is a 90 minute drive from Falmouth to Negril. Is this about right? We would love to go to Negril, but will not waste 3 hours on a bus if we can go to a beach near the port in Falmouth.

I've read that it's 1 1/2 hrs. from Montego Bay to Negril, so yes - it's at least 3 hrs. travel time!

• 1 month later...

Not going until OCT 2011, but just by what I have read here, I will just pay for my wife and I to go to an all inclusive for the day.

I didn't do that in Nassau 2 yrs ago, and I learned my lesson.

Unless I have something I want to do at a port (live diving, or going to see something historical) nothing is a safer bet then an all inclusive. You can drink and eat all day for 100 bucks or less.....

There is a good article today about Falmouth on that other board, cruise mates. Seems the early cruises into Falmouth are just trial balloons before they send the newer RCI ships there in May. I guess we are the canaries in the coal mine. I doubt we will get off this ship. Excursions out of Falmouth are way too expensive because of the extra transportation costs. Don't want to pre-book a private excursion and then have RCI change the port at the last minute.

I just signed my family up for a zip line tour through Jaital Tours on an early March cruise with RC. It is a 5 zip-line and off-road tour. I will post how that goes. I have not read any reviews, however, it looks interesting and fun. It resembles a tour through Zipline Adventures which is highly rated by Trip Advisor. So I guess we will test it out and let you know........

There is a good article today about Falmouth on that other board, cruise mates. Seems the early cruises into Falmouth are just trial balloons before they send the newer RCI ships there in May. I guess we are the canaries in the coal mine. I doubt we will get off this ship. Excursions out of Falmouth are way too expensive because of the extra transportation costs. Don't want to pre-book a private excursion and then have RCI change the port at the last minute.

They are coming up to speed. Apparently the locals are a bit leary of the whole tourism thing as they were burned on it before. The cruise terminal is about to open, but the new port area is not complete yet.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/New-Falmouth-cruise-ship-pier-not-ready_8262380

They are coming up to speed. Apparently the locals are a bit leary of the whole tourism thing as they were burned on it before. The cruise terminal is about to open, but the new port area is not complete yet.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/New-Falmouth-cruise-ship-pier-not-ready_8262380

Not much good news in that article.

Archived