Rain in Ketchikan

mahassiddasairy

We're going to Ketchikan in September, which means we're almost sure to get rained on. My question is: What's the rain usually like in Ketchikan? Does it tend to be a downpour, and then it's done, or more of a light drizzle all day? I'm just asking because I'd like to go kayaking, but not if it's going to be raining so hard we can't see anything.

Well, yeah, both. It will tend to just keep raining, and can get a bit hard to see at times due to fog like conditions. HOWEVER never let weather stop you in Alaska. Just put on that slicker and go have a ball. It won't be a blinding rain, but it sure can get dreary at times. Lets hope you have none of this and the sun is out and shining. :D

But, to get those numbers, it could either drizzle all day or pour for an hour or two. There's a big difference--drizzle would be fine, but a real downpour isn't worth spending over $300 to kayak in. I know there's no way to know for certain, but I'm just curious if there's a trend. (For instance, if someone wanted to know about rain in Orlando, most people would say to prepare for mostly sunny skies, with a heavy rainshower in the afternoon.)

The kayak trips certainly DO run in the rain, and you have a double "negative" with being there in Sept, which is also likely to be colder and rainier. :)

Being well prepared in your attire is essential.

Why not play it by ear and try and book it when you arrive, if the weather is great, that is.....hopefully they won't be booked.....but maybe there's a couple of options for kayaking and you can go to one of them at the last minute, I'm sure one should be available. Just have all your options available to you so you are not wasting time looking for a place.

1st trip to Ketchikan -- it was a constant, steady, pretty heavy rain -- the rain actually had more pressure than the shower in my cabin did.

2nd trip to Ketchikan -- it was sunny

3rd trip to Ketchikan -- it was sunny

4th trip to Ketchikan -- it was raining a downpour non-stop for our entire port time, and the wind was blowing the rain parallel to the ground. Quite unpleasant, actually.

5th trip to Ketchikan -- mostly sunny, some overcast, and a few showers.

When you read "15 feet" from here:

http://www.ketchikan.com/

it really brings it home how much water falls from the sky.

So there is no specific answer to your question.

I'm going in September this time, and because of all the info on this board (esp. regarding weather) I'm not going to risk much in the way of outdoor activities. Especially not something pretty expensive that would REALLY SUCK to do in the rain. :)

1st trip to Ketchikan -- it was a constant, steady, pretty heavy rain -- the rain actually had more pressure than the shower in my cabin did.

2nd trip to Ketchikan -- it was sunny

3rd trip to Ketchikan -- it was sunny

4th trip to Ketchikan -- it was raining a downpour non-stop for our entire port time, and the wind was blowing the rain parallel to the ground. Quite unpleasant, actually.

5th trip to Ketchikan -- mostly sunny, some overcast, and a few showers.

When you read "15 feet" from here:

http://www.ketchikan.com/

it really brings it home how much water falls from the sky.

So there is no specific answer to your question.

I'm going in September this time, and because of all the info on this board (esp. regarding weather) I'm not going to risk much in the way of outdoor activities. Especially not something pretty expensive that would REALLY SUCK to do in the rain. :)

I would have liked to know the months each of your trips were...have been thinking about the Sept 2, '11 Northbound trip but now I'm not sure if I should wait until May '12..Was there in May'09 great weather..When does the Salmon run ? Might also consider the end of Aug '11 but just a week difference price really jumps up..so would a week make any difference ???

Here is an interesting read :eek:

http://pajk.arh.noaa.gov/info/brochures/summer.pdf

I would have liked to know the months each of your trips were...have been thinking about the Sept 2, '11 Northbound trip but now I'm not sure if I should wait until May '12..Was there in May'09 great weather..When does the Salmon run ? Might also consider the end of Aug '11 but just a week difference price really jumps up..so would a week make any difference ???

Just remember you will be dry, but will you be below or above the clouds or in the clouds... :eek:

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. We've decided to do the flightseeing instead, since we were able to get a coupon. I figure that way, we're inside the plane and not getting wet, no matter what the weather.

I say whoooooo cares! Let it rain...let it rain...let it rain! My skin's waterproof and I just decided Im going to do exactly what I want and if it rains...Let it! My beer back on the ship will be that much sweeter and shower that much better if I was hardcore and ziplined in the rain in Ketchikan and got soaked to the bone! So that's what Im doing and that's how Im thinking! You go, Girl!

I say whoooooo cares! Let it rain...let it rain...let it rain! My skin's waterproof and I just decided Im going to do exactly what I want and if it rains...Let it! My beer back on the ship will be that much sweeter and shower that much better if I was hardcore and ziplined in the rain in Ketchikan and got soaked to the bone! So that's what Im doing and that's how Im thinking! You go, Girl!

I've actually got eczema, which become quite painful when rain-soaked. How I envy your waterproof skin!

Archived