Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

I never reported back after my Labor Day trip ... but I can highly recommend Colin Jennings (his email is elsewhere on this thread).

Very articulate and proud Bermudian ... very knowledgeable about all the sites and was able to customize to what I wanted to do.

I chose to do a 4-5 hour tour where I was picked up at the ship and returned to the Dockyard. I was then able to go back via ferry to one of the cities I saw on the tour. I didn't want to stop for lunch so didn't need a full six hours to see everything I wanted to (which included beaches to dip my toes in the water).

Renee

Edited by rotator101

We used ByWay Tours (Heidi) she did such a wonderful tour for us. What was nice is she only takes 8 guests. We did this tour in October and we would use her again if we are ever in Bermuda again.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

How do you get in touch with Heidi to prearrange a tour with her beforhand? I went to her site and there is no section for reservations.Thanks for your help.

How do you get in touch with Heidi to prearrange a tour with her beforhand? I went to her site and there is no section for reservations.Thanks for your help.

There's a "Contact Us" page on the website.

http://www.bermudafootsteps.com/contact_us

There's also an email address at the bottom of most, if not all of the website's pages:

bermudafootsteps@logic.bm

Edited by njhorseman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This is an important thread for all cruisers to see on the first page!

Thank you Miriam (clancy14) for All your information you have shared. We will be cruising to Bermuda for the first time sept 2015. Looking forward to a tour with Collin. I have emailed him (hopefully early enough to get him booked before someone snatches him up). :D. Thanks for the heads up to be patient waiting for a reply.

Hope you enjoyed the quantum! Looks fabulous!:p

Thank you Miriam (clancy14) for All your information you have shared. We will be cruising to Bermuda for the first time sept 2015. Looking forward to a tour with Collin. I have emailed him (hopefully early enough to get him booked before someone snatches him up). :D. Thanks for the heads up to be patient waiting for a reply.

Hope you enjoyed the quantum! Looks fabulous!:p

You will love Colin! He never disappoints his clients! He is a former mail carrier, his wife is a school teacher and he was a member of the Bermuda National Soccer Team! He has wonderful stories and is a charming, interesting and honest man! (Just not the fastest emailer ;).

The Quantum was a wonderful cruise! 12 nights to the Southern Caribbean in the middle of winter!! Many great things about the ship but some details were lacking! Lots of hi-tech innovations, new layouts and designs, 80% new restaurants and bars, a few new ports - all-in-all quite a cruise!!!

YOU WILL LOVE BERMUDA!! Still the best island to visit! - Miriam

Edited by Clancy14

That's exactly what we are looking for... we always find fabulous (local) taxi drivers/guides in our ports that are a wealth of knowledge!! They truly do become a friend after spending the day with them! We especially love it bc we travel with our kids (ages 6&8)... and they learn sooo much about the places we go. After we sailed the Allure in Oct.. .we have been ruined for small/old ships..... so we are always looking for the newest ships and those of good size (every ship seems small now)!! The Quantum is tops on the list for us now!! I think we will let them work their kinks out for a few sailing before we hop aboard!! Thanks again! looking forward to Bermuda and hopefully Collin!

SunDevilRN,

If you want to shop, or tour Gibbs Hill Light House,(a must do!) etc., Colin will stay at the van (air-conditioned) and keep your packages/belongings safe (the same with anything YOU bring from the ship for your use during your tour). The same if you want to stop for lunch, or visit Crystal Caves, or the Dunking in St. George. You can either tell him what you want to see or tell him to show you what's important to you based on what YOU LIKE (History, sports, nature, etc.)

He brings bread from his house for you to feed the fish at one of your stops (your kids will LOVE it). That's what a nice man he is!

Ask any questions on this thread - some of the posters here are EXTREMELY knowledgable about Bermuda (I don't mean me- I'm just a yearly visitor who LOVES the island! )

- Miriam

Miriam!!

Collin got back to me in record time!!!! Thanks for all the suggestions- I am still working my way through all 900+ threads to make notes of what we might want to do, the must sees, etc.... He is available for our day!!! and he said he could even get a second guide/car for our friends and their kids so we can all go together!! So glad I found this thread!!! Thank you again!!

SunDevilRN,

If you want to shop, or tour Gibbs Hill Light House,(a must do!) etc., Colin will stay at the van (air-conditioned) and keep your packages/belongings safe (the same with anything YOU bring from the ship for your use during your tour). The same if you want to stop for lunch, or visit Crystal Caves, or the Dunking in St. George. You can either tell him what you want to see or tell him to show you what's important to you based on what YOU LIKE (History, sports, nature, etc.)

He brings bread from his house for you to feed the fish at one of your stops (your kids will LOVE it). That's what a nice man he is!

Ask any questions on this thread - some of the posters here are EXTREMELY knowledgable about Bermuda (I don't mean me- I'm just a yearly visitor who LOVES the island! )

- Miriam

Does he have suggestions on what to see or do you tell him where you want to go?

• 1 month later...
Would you mind sharing his e-mail with me . We are going in August for the 5th time. We usually rent scooters but we are going with another family and kids. Thanks Dan

If you are referring to my posts about Colin - (you only refer to "his" - I know there are several male guides recommended on here- their contact info was further back in the threads) but here is his email colinjenningstaxi@yahoo.com. Everyone states he takes time to respond so be patient- but I have received immediate responses and have been in touch with him several times ( our cruise is in sept). You did mention going with another family with kids etc - we are doing the same as well - and I believe his limit is 2 adults and 2 small kids according to our conversations. But double check with him. I know he couldn't accommodate our family and the family joining us). Hope this helps

5th time to Bermuda?? Any top must sees you recommend? Or best beaches? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got off the Dawn last year and there were no blue flags around. We took a regular taxi And the man was friendly, knew every road, had lived there all his life. The roads are not easy, so we were happy he was driving! He tok us around Hamilton, to the beaches, and other sites, including his home and local places. We found it very nice and we stopped when we wanted to. The cost was $ 150 for 3 hours, and I tipped him because he was such a great guy. Locals know a lot and we discussed island life, politics, economy, the price of growing tomatoes (lots of people grow and sell vegetables to make ends meet), saw his schools,:) and everything. Very nice way we thought to get the lay of the land. St George's would have taken too long...we go there by ferry.

We got off the Dawn last year and there were no blue flags around. We took a regular taxi And the man was friendly, knew every road, had lived there all his life. The roads are not easy, so we were happy he was driving! He tok us around Hamilton, to the beaches, and other sites, including his home and local places. We found it very nice and we stopped when we wanted to. The cost was $ 150 for 3 hours, and I tipped him because he was such a great guy. Locals know a lot and we discussed island life, politics, economy, the price of growing tomatoes (lots of people grow and sell vegetables to make ends meet), saw his schools,:) and everything. Very nice way we thought to get the lay of the land. St George's would have taken too long...we go there by ferry.

Yes that is a great way to experience the real Bermuda and many will never get that experience.

Thanks for the post, and glad you found that opportunity.

Edited by blue_water

Booked for Colin after reading all the great reviews on here.

Doing an Island Tour on the last day (ship departs at 5:30pm).

Can you recommend any sights/attractions that are must see/do?

Can we include Crystal Caves as well as St. George/Hamilton in a 5hr tour?

Or should we see the Caves on a different day?:confused:

I am booked with Dennis next week. I am surprised to hear there are negative reviews (where did you find them? I haven't scrolled back too far on this thread, so maybe they're here.) It may just be a case of expectations. I will certainly post my experience. I'm sure it will be a great day!

Hello,

Any more news on tours with Dennis Hollis? We have booked a tour with him for July 2015 and a little concerned with some of,the negative reviews. Has anyone used him recently and any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

I booked Colin for May 25 based on the reviews here. We will meet him at the ferry dock in Hamilton at 10am. I told him I wanted to see the city attractions in Hamilton (before the parade), the city attractions in St George including the Deliverance & the dunking, Fort St Catherine, hopefully lunch at Swizzle Inn, going back to Dockyard on the South Road, seeing the (I think its called) Somerset drawbridge, & Gibbs Hill Lighthouse. Plus whatever else he thinks we should see. That will make me happy. They only other thing I want to see is Carter House which is not open on Mondays. I'll have to take the ferry to St George the next day, then the bus to Carter House. Then back to dockyard. Ship leaves at 6 pm so will spend the rest of the day there maybe a little shopping. I don't think I'll have time to visit the Bermuda Museum in Dockyard so I'll have to go back another time. This is my first time in Bermuda.

I booked Colin for May 25 based on the reviews here. We will meet him at the ferry dock in Hamilton at 10am. I told him I wanted to see the city attractions in Hamilton (before the parade), the city attractions in St George including the Deliverance & the dunking, Fort St Catherine, hopefully lunch at Swizzle Inn, going back to Dockyard on the South Road, seeing the (I think its called) Somerset drawbridge, & Gibbs Hill Lighthouse. Plus whatever else he thinks we should see. That will make me happy. They only other thing I want to see is Carter House which is not open on Mondays. I'll have to take the ferry to St George the next day, then the bus to Carter House. Then back to dockyard. Ship leaves at 6 pm so will spend the rest of the day there maybe a little shopping. I don't think I'll have time to visit the Bermuda Museum in Dockyard so I'll have to go back another time. This is my first time in Bermuda.

Hello and thanks for your response. Your tour sounds great. I would appreciate if you could let me know how your tour goes in May. Any feedback would be helpful of your tour with Dennis Hollis.

Wishing you a wonderful trip.

Regards, Violet

E-mailed Colin and he got back to me within 24 hrs.Sounds like a great guy! We have to many people for him to accomadate so we ended up booking with Winsome Tours. They also got back to me very quickly and also seem very accomadating to what we wanna do. Thanks for everyones Info. Dan