Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

We also did a private tour with David Fox on the 17th of October. We would recommend David to all. He is very knowledgeable and friendly. He picked us up right in front of the ship in a very clean van. We did a 6 hour tour and saw everything we wanted to see and never felt like we were being rushed. We saw so much more than you would see on a "big bus" tour. Good job David - hope to see you again soon! I would recommend booking very early as these tours fill up quickly.

Diane and Bob

Edited by Havin'fun

njhorseman - I read of the increase in Bermuda press. I assumed it had come into effect. If it isn't in effect yet that is good news for me as I will be there in November. In the articles I have read an implementation date is not mentioned. I posted an apology after my earlier post correcting the $50 + 25% to $62.50 (not $65) but the post has disappeared.

• 2 weeks later...

We were first timers to Bermuda and just returned. We highly recommend Byways Tours by Heidi Cowen. www.bywaysbermuda.com This was advertised as "uncommon & unusual tours" and it included all of the tourist highlights plus some unusual stop and insights from a Bermuda native who grew up living in Gibbs Hill Lighthouse as her grandfather was the keeper when that was a 24/7 position of great responsibility. Heidi was joined by her sweet dog, Buddy, who is blind. Save your pity as Buddy does very well thanks to Heidi. As a dog lover missing my own, Buddy graciously met my need for a "dog fix". We were impresses with our 6 hr tour which covered the entire island, but even more so when we compared notes with our tablemates that evening. When we thought about all of our stops, included admissions, included lunch and even an afternoon ice cream stop, we were very thankful we had booked with Heidi! We are snorkelers and she showed us Tobacco Bay, Horseshoe Bay, and Warwick Long Bay where we checked out Jobson's cove. Knowing we wanted to snorkel on our next two days, she also checked on weather forecast which, unfortunately wasn't promising. Rain was coming, but Heidi then checked with the island's true forecasters, the silk spiders, and pulled us over for a photo op with these amazing creatures. (they come down low in the trees when a storm is coming). My husband is a history buff and was pleased that he knew the answers to questions asked by our table mates that evening (thanks to Heidi's pointing out places and answering his questions on tour!) While Heidi is proud of Bermuda, she does not gloss over the high cost of living there and the struggles of hurricanes and drought. But she wouldn't live anywhere else and that enthusiasm and love shines through! While first timers to Bermuda, we have been on many cruises and tours and have to put Heidi's tour up there as a don't miss opportunity!

Bermuda Island Tours

I emailed several drivers about a tour on 5/15 and got several responses. When I sent an email back to the driver's that I did not select -- some were very kind -- still saying they wanted me to enjoy the Island with the driver I did select and to remember them for future tours. I in turned told them I would pass their contact information along. Most names were from reading through this board for recommendations and viewing the Bermuda Attractions and go to Bermuda web sites. This will be my 1st visit to Bermuda so I do not have personal experience on any of their tours, just the email contact. So research , email, ask questions before selecting a guide ;). I'll be sharing my personal review of the guide I did select after returning 5/19.

Enjoy your trips and Thanks for all the posts, I've gotten so much great info for my visit. Please keep sharing.

Lewis Foggo

lewis_foggo@hotmail.com

Robert Minors

VLMinors@onelove.bm

Neli Lima-Outerbridge

info@bermudaislandtaxi.com

Colin Jennings

colinjenningstaxi@yahoo.com

David Fox

thefox@logic.bm

Kimmie Mello

soniamello@logic.bm

sekai waldron

sekaiwaldron@hotmail.com

In 2011 we had a private tour with Duke, but he is not able to do tours anymore, so I started at the top of this list and contacted Lewis Foggo for our trip on Grandeur of the Seas in Nov 2013.

He is knowledgeable and helpful and flexible - and MOST important - if he does not know, he doesn't just give an answer, but finds out from someone who knows what the answer is. He has books on plants etc in his van, and also a step stool for me to help me get in. He says that the $50 rate has not been approved yet. We had him from 9:30 until about 5 on Monday, and from 9:30 to two pm on Tuesday.

We visited 12 sites that I wanted to go to on Monday and took almost 600 photos, and then on Tuesday he took us to some additional sites that I didn't have on my list because I didn't know about them.

He says that while the blue flag drivers have a decal on the window which says that they are a licensed guide (decal from the inside of the van)

IMG_0860.JPG

that the Powers That Be find that the decals are too easy to counterfeit. So the REAL blue flag guides also have a blue ID with their photo on it. This is what that looks like.

IMG_0861.JPG

• 2 months later...
We just returned from Bermuda. We took an evening tour with Dennis Hollis upon our arrival in Bermuda on Sunday. $40 per hour for the two of us.

He met us outside the ship's gangway and walked us to his taxi. We started about 4pm. We went first along the road leading out of the Dockyard area and started with a stop a Black Bay beach, then on to the littlest Church and then on to Gibb's Lighthouse where we stopped and climbed to the top of the light. What a great view.

We then toured on to Hamilton and littlest DrawBridge and through the "rich" part of town to see the hotels and houses of the famous.

We ended at Fort Scaur for the sunset at 7:30. We had time to enjoy the sunset and part of a bottle of wine. We were basically the only ones there!!

He had us back to the ship by 8pm....drove us right up to the ship's entrance!

Dennis was a great tour guide and was also great to communicate with leading up to the trip.

I'm sold. Thanks so much for your information!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We want to have a tour that takes us around the island to show us the main sites. I want to take photos of the places, not stay on the beach for any length of time while on the tour. How long of a tour would I need ? After the tour I plan on getting on the busses or ferries to go back to where we want to spend time.

I think you could do the city of Hamilton by ferry and also most of the Dockyard (assuming that is where your ship docks). And you can do the Aquarium by bus and depending on the time of year, either the bus or ferry to St. George.

The caves and Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, and particularly St. Catherines are kind off off the bus routes. If you started off at the ship and did Gibbs Hill lighthouse and the south shore road (where the buses run less often) through Tucker Town to St. Davids, St. George and St. Catherine, that would take about a half day. Then you could take the bus back through Flatts Village to Hamilton, and then take the ferry from there back to the ship.

If you wanted to do a whole circuit of the island it would probably take a little longer.

I think you could do the city of Hamilton by ferry and also most of the Dockyard (assuming that is where your ship docks). And you can do the Aquarium by bus and depending on the time of year, either the bus or ferry to St. George.

The caves and Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, and particularly St. Catherines are kind off off the bus routes. If you started off at the ship and did Gibbs Hill lighthouse and the south shore road (where the buses run less often) through Tucker Town to St. Davids, St. George and St. Catherine, that would take about a half day. Then you could take the bus back through Flatts Village to Hamilton, and then take the ferry from there back to the ship.

If you wanted to do a whole circuit of the island it would probably take a little longer.

Thank you for that info. We will actually be docked in Hamilton. That is why I wanted to do a quick tour with a guide where I could stop and take photos of the loveliest areas and then go back after the tour and the next day by bus and ferry. I think that being in Hamilton makes it easy to get around. I know that if I see one of the lovely beaches that I am going to want to walk out and take photos. I don't think the bus will let me do that. :D Plus it looks like if I got off the bus to check out a site, another one wouldn't come by for an hour.

Thank you for that info. We will actually be docked in Hamilton. That is why I wanted to do a quick tour with a guide where I could stop and take photos of the loveliest areas and then go back after the tour and the next day by bus and ferry. I think that being in Hamilton makes it easy to get around. I know that if I see one of the lovely beaches that I am going to want to walk out and take photos. I don't think the bus will let me do that. :D Plus it looks like if I got off the bus to check out a site, another one wouldn't come by for an hour.

Don't know which beach you were referring to, but from my quick look at the bus schedule, here's what I see:

• the South Shore beaches, such as Horseshoe, Warwick and Elbow, are served by the route #7 bus which runs every 30 minutes and this includes any beaches from the Dockyard to the South Shore beaches;
  • any beach along the North Shore to St George that is served by the route #10 or#11 bus which, in combo, run every 15 minutes;
  • the only route that I saw that only runs once per hour is the route #6 which serves St George <> St Davids Island (Clearwater Beach);
  • for your convenience, the bus schedule is here.

SBtS

If you are in Hamilton it will be easier as the main bus terminal is there.

The ferry runs from Hamilton to where the smallest bridge is, and also goes out to the Dockyard.

There are lots of pretty beaches on the North Shore if all you want to do is take photos. I've done photos from the bus, but it is iffy. What else are you interested in besides the photos of the beaches? There's a garden with the islands of Bermuda in a big pond that the guide can take you to. It is really pretty. It is at a place called Waterville

5962360-map_of_Bermuda_in_the_Waterville_lily_pond_Bermuda.jpg?version=2

There are also a couple of forts, and in addition to Gibbs lighthouse, there is one on St. David's.

There is a walking tour of St. George that you might like to do.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/5d8a3/

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/5d8aa/#TL

You know of course that Hamilton the city is in Pembroke Parish, and not in Hamilton Parish. There is also a walking tour of Hamilton (the city) but I have fewer pictures to illustrate

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/5d9e0/

We did a private tour with a guide in 2011 which was 3.5 hours. (Keep in mind that we had been to Bermuda many times before, so we were just getting the things that we couldn't get to easily on the bus, and we didn't get to St. George at all)

He picked us up at the Dockyard (where the ship was docked), and showed us the wall with all the ship logos painted on it. We paused briefly at the Royal Navy Cemetery (burials of the British Navy dating back to 1700). We drove thru Somerset and he asked us if we had seen the Heydon Trust Chapel, which we had not, so we stopped briefly there. This small chapel was originally a house and dates back to 1616. We crossed the smallest drawbridge without stopping - our next goal was Gibbs Lighthouse. Here we got out and walked around and Bob and I both took photos. We followed the South Road along the shore, past Horseshoe Bay, Warwick Long Bay, and all the famous beaches. Then he showed us a HUGE banyan tree which had taken over a whole block and was trying to cross the road. Our next stop took us by a beautiful nursery with all kinds of flowers, but our destination was Waterville, which was a private residence is now the headquarters of the Bermuda National Trust. Then we went past the Botanical Gardens, Collector's Hill and stopped briefly at Spittal Pond parking lot where there were a bunch of chickens running around. We kept going along South Road, past John Smith Bay Park (a different John Smith) and drove thru Tucker's Town, which isn't really a town at all and paused by the beach of the Mid-Ocean Club. We went thru the Flats and passed by the BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo) which had a new statue of a sea turtle out front - they made it out of the roof tiles when they repaired the cathedral. We went through Black Watch pass down into Hamilton, past Victoria Park and the cathedral, and circled the City Hall and headed for Fort Hamilton. We got out here and walked around. Now we were heading back for the ship - back thru Somerset on the road next to Great Sound

Edited by grandmaR

Don't know which beach you were referring to, but from my quick look at the bus schedule, here's what I see:

• the South Shore beaches, such as Horseshoe, Warwick and Elbow, are served by the route #7 bus which runs every 30 minutes and this includes any beaches from the Dockyard to the South Shore beaches;
  • any beach along the North Shore to St George that is served by the route #10 or#11 bus which, in combo, run every 15 minutes;
  • the only route that I saw that only runs once per hour is the route #6 which serves St George <> St Davids Island (Clearwater Beach);
  • for your convenience, the bus schedule is here.

SBtS

I think my problem is that I really don't know where the different routes go. I looked at the schedule and saw that 7 of the routes were on one hour intervals. Perhaps those are routes that I wouldn't even go on. I did plan on taking the bus a lot, so I am glad that they are more frequent. Since I have just started my research, I don't know where I really want to go, so it makes it hard to figure out how to get there. :D

If you are in Hamilton it will be easier as the main bus terminal is there.

The ferry runs from Hamilton to where the smallest bridge is, and also goes out to the Dockyard.

There are lots of pretty beaches on the North Shore if all you want to do is take photos. I've done photos from the bus, but it is iffy. What else are you interested in besides the photos of the beaches? There's a garden with the islands of Bermuda in a big pond that the guide can take you to. It is really pretty. It is at a place called Waterville

There are also a couple of forts, and in addition to Gibbs lighthouse, there is one on St. David's.

There is a walking tour of St. George that you might like to do.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/5d8a3/

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/5d8aa/#TL

You know of course that Hamilton the city is in Pembroke Parish, and not in Hamilton Parish. There is also a walking tour of Hamilton (the city) but I have fewer pictures to illustrate

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/5d9e0/

We did a private tour with a guide in 2011 which was 3.5 hours. (Keep in mind that we had been to Bermuda many times before, so we were just getting the things that we couldn't get to easily on the bus, and we didn't get to St. George at all)

He picked us up at the Dockyard (where the ship was docked), and showed us the wall with all the ship logos painted on it. We paused briefly at the Royal Navy Cemetery (burials of the British Navy dating back to 1700). We drove thru Somerset and he asked us if we had seen the Heydon Trust Chapel, which we had not, so we stopped briefly there. This small chapel was originally a house and dates back to 1616. We crossed the smallest drawbridge without stopping - our next goal was Gibbs Lighthouse. Here we got out and walked around and Bob and I both took photos. We followed the South Road along the shore, past Horseshoe Bay, Warwick Long Bay, and all the famous beaches. Then he showed us a HUGE banyan tree which had taken over a whole block and was trying to cross the road. Our next stop took us by a beautiful nursery with all kinds of flowers, but our destination was Waterville, which was a private residence is now the headquarters of the Bermuda National Trust. Then we went past the Botanical Gardens, Collector's Hill and stopped briefly at Spittal Pond parking lot where there were a bunch of chickens running around. We kept going along South Road, past John Smith Bay Park (a different John Smith) and drove thru Tucker's Town, which isn't really a town at all and paused by the beach of the Mid-Ocean Club. We went thru the Flats and passed by the BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo) which had a new statue of a sea turtle out front - they made it out of the roof tiles when they repaired the cathedral. We went through Black Watch pass down into Hamilton, past Victoria Park and the cathedral, and circled the City Hall and headed for Fort Hamilton. We got out here and walked around. Now we were heading back for the ship - back thru Somerset on the road next to Great Sound

What great info! Thank you so much. I have lots to study, so I can figure what we really want to do.

I think my problem is that I really don't know where the different routes go. I looked at the schedule and saw that 7 of the routes were on one hour intervals. Perhaps those are routes that I wouldn't even go on. I did plan on taking the bus a lot, so I am glad that they are more frequent. Since I have just started my research, I don't know where I really want to go, so it makes it hard to figure out how to get there. :D

This may be of some help. Here is a printable Bermuda map with bus and ferry routes and many of the attractions.

SBtS

All I get when I right click is: view source. I click on that and I get gibberish!

The link is working for me so i copied the post:

I'm reposting my map because I finally got around to printing it and it came out really, really nice. Here's how you can print it too.

• Place cursor over map and right click;
  • From the drop down menu, select - View Image;
  • The map will now be centered on the screen with a black background surrounding it;
  • From the top menu bar, select - File > Page Setup >
    • Orientation - Landscape
    • Scale - 100%

• Margins & Header/Footer - set Margins to zero (0), set Headers/Footers to --blank--
    • Select OK

[*]From the top menu bar, select - File > Print Preview > Print.

You can easily fold it down to 4.5 x 2.5 inches.

route-map-v6copy.jpg

SBtS