Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

Colin must have raised he rates. My wife and I used him two years ago and it was $40.00 per hour, 5 hours and we gave him a $40.00 tip. He had either a Nissan or Toyota European van which comfortably held 6

I've used Collin 2x (last summer and the summer before) and he was $40 per hour both times...he was fantastic.

Have you been to Bermuda before? I am guessing not.

Of course it depends a little bit on your interests. Beach? Historic buildings?

Do you want to stop and go in to places, or just see where they are?

We've been to Bermuda five times - once in 1963 when my husband's ship was there and I was pregnant with my second child. The second time was for Thanksgiving in 1995, and it started us on our post-children travels. Just for variety, we came the third time (November 2004) and a fourth time (October 2007) and a fifth time (November 2011) on a cruise ship.

If the ship is docked at King's Wharf, you can do things like the Clocktower Mall, and the Royal Navy Dockyard/Maritime Museum on your own. I also usually shop at the Cooperage which is opposite the Maritime Museum and has all Bermuda made products.

The first time we visited St. George, Hamilton, Fort St. Catherine, the smallest bridge in Sandy's Parish and the Aquarium. This is a good place to start - there are interesting things to see in St. George such as St. Peters, and the Historical Society. One our second visit, we just looked at the Deliverance from the outside, but we did go to see the slide show at the Town Hall and walked around Somer's Garden This is a two part walking tour of St. George - part one http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/5d8a3/#TL and part two http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/5d8aa/#TL

The second visit we were there for several days. In addition to going to the Maritime Museum, we took the ferry to Hamilton. I walked through the historical society exhibit in the library and Bob went to the Perot post office. We went to the Aquarium again, and we also went on a tour of the Botanical Garden and also did a tour of the nature reserve at Spittal Pond.

In 2004, since we were there for three days, we got a 3 day bus pass and a Heritage Pass and went to the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute, the aquarium, the railroad museum (now closed), St. George, Hamilton, Somerset Bridge, the Maritime Museum, Ft. St. Catherine and Verdmont. This is a narrative I did of a walking tour of Hamilton http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/5d9e0/#TL. I don't recomment the Underwater Exploration Inst. for a first visit, but we really like the aquarium (if you could not guess that) and it is now also a museum and zoo.

In 2007 we had a day and a half and we both went to the Perot Post Office, and went to the Historical Society Museum in the library in Hamilton. We went out to the Botanical Garden (had lunch) and finally got to visit Camden House (free). Then we took a bus out to St. George and got off and took a bus that went around St. Davids where we hadn't been before.

On our last visit we had a tour with a private guide (Duke who no longer does the tours) and we went a couple of places that we had not been before. First part http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/bca4a/

Second part http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/bca59/

We also shopped in the Kings Wharf area.

We still have to visit the perfumery, we have never gone into the caves (too many steps for me), and we have not gone into the Town Hall or the Cathedral in Hamilton.

Edited by grandmaR

Bermuda Island Tours

I am on the 5/12 -5/19 Breakaway Inaugural Sailing

I emailed several drivers about a tour on 5/15 and got several responses. When I sent an email back to the driver's that I did not select -- some were very kind -- still saying they wanted me to enjoy the Island with the driver I did select and to remember them for future tours. I in turned told them I would pass their contact information along. Most names were from reading through this board for recommendations and viewing the Bermuda Attractions and go to Bermuda web sites. This will be my 1st visit to Bermuda so I do not have personal experience on any of their tours, just the email contact. So research , email, ask questions before selecting a guide ;). I'll be sharing my personal review of the guide I did select after returning 5/19.

Enjoy your trips and Thanks for all the posts, I've gotten so much great info for my visit. Please keep sharing.

Lewis Foggo

lewis_foggo@hotmail.com

Robert Minors

VLMinors@onelove.bm

Neli Lima-Outerbridge

info@bermudaislandtaxi.com

Colin Jennings

colinjenningstaxi@yahoo.com

David Fox

thefox@logic.bm

Kimmie Mello

soniamello@logic.bm

sekai waldron

sekaiwaldron@hotmail.com

So an ordinary taxi is the same as a taxi with a guide?

No, for an ordinary taxi ride the fare is based on the meter, with the exception of group ride shared taxis from Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay where they charge a flat fare of about $6 or 7 per person.

Taxi fares are US$6.40 for the first mile for 1 - 4 passenger taxi and US$2.25 each additional mile, or US$8.00 for the first mile for 5 - 6 passenger taxi and US$2.80 for each additional mile, for travel between 6:00 a.m. and midnight.

Fares are 25 percent higher for 1 - 4 passenger taxi and 50 percent higher for 5 - 6 passenger taxi between midnight and 6:00 a.m., all day on Sunday and on public holidays.

Edited by njhorseman

Last May we used Duke and he was fantastic. Never had to worry about leaving our personal belongings in his cab. He took us to places that the average tour would not cover. In St. George, he somehow was able to time the arrival with the "dunking", Very Knowledgable and warm.

I heard from his wife that he is no longer able to do the tours:( but she could not reccommend a substitute.

I know there are general postings out there on various tour cabs and a lot of names but I'm specifically looking for someone like Duke or could remind you of Duke in the way he presented his tours, please advise.There are 4 of us. I will miss Duke.

Edited by smalltimecruiser100

The tour guides are beginning to charge $50 and hour for the service of meeting you at the ship. I've heard of one on this board and one that I contacted that was listed here.

I'm not sure whether I really need a guide - I need someone to take me to places that I know that I want to go and stay while we get out and take photos and then go on to the next place. That doesn't seem to fit in to the mileage rate schedule - there isn't going to be a lot of mileage because Bermuda isn't that big.

We did use Duke on our last trip andB were very pleased. But he's the only one I used so I have no way to compare

Originally Posted by GeneD

We will be docking for 3 days and would like the 6 of us to walk off the ship and get a tour guide for about 3 hours. Also does $150.00 sound about right for the 6 of us? Do the guides expect a tip and what would that be?

If the driver has done a good job, a tip would be customary. Probably at least $20...more if you've taken a longer tour.

Is this suggestion $20 per person or total? :)

The tour guides are beginning to charge $50 and hour for the service of meeting you at the ship. I've heard of one on this board and one that I contacted that was listed here.

I'm not sure whether I really need a guide - I need someone to take me to places that I know that I want to go and stay while we get out and take photos and then go on to the next place. That doesn't seem to fit in to the mileage rate schedule - there isn't going to be a lot of mileage because Bermuda isn't that big.

We did use Duke on our last trip andB were very pleased. But he's the only one I used so I have no way to compare

As far as I know there is one driver regularly mentioned on this board who is reportedly charging $50 per hour. I wouldn't generalize that information and assume other drivers are doing it. There's nothing I can find that indicates charging more than $40 per hour for 1-4 passengers, or $55.50 for 5-6 passengers is permitted by government regulations.

Edited by njhorseman

It isn't a generalization. I contacted one of them and that's what he said he charged. It wasn't the one that has been talked about much or one that other people have said was charging $50.

That's why I asked about taxis that weren't guides. Because I just want someone to drive me around and wait while I go and take pictures and then go to the next place. So basically someone who knows the island and will sell me a block of time regardless of the mileage

I discussed it with him and we agreed on a price, but I don't want to say who it was because I don't want to get him in trouble. I'm just saying that some of the guides have apparently decided that booking in advance and agreeing to meet a ship on some specific schedule requires that they charge $50 an hour

Hi folks, I have this posted the board for my specific sailing, but figured I'd post here as well for anyone who may be arriving on the Breakaway! Thanks!

Hi folks,

Just throwing this out there. Wife and I have booked Mr David Fox for a tour of the island on Wednesday May 16th 10:00am departure.

He comes highly recommended from the people here on CC. So we booked him. He advises to plan for a minimum of 5 hours for the tour. There is room for 2 more people if anyone was interested. The cost is 40.00 per hour, for up to 4 people. He can take up to 6, I believe, but the cost rises to I believe 50.00 per hour.

We were planning on just us, but since his tour is so popular, and its just us two, we thought we'd throw this out there for our CC friends to see if anyone else would be interested . This cruise appears to be pretty close to sold out, Aqua for sure is completely sold out.

About us. I'm Bill and a 47 yo pilot for a major airline. Cynthia, my beautiful bride is an office manager, and is also 47. She's gonna kill me ! We will be in 1138 for this cruise! Which, btw, would not have happened if a fellow board member had not advised that he had given up 1138 to go to a suite. I can't thank him enough!

In any event, if anyone is interested, feel free to either reply, or shoot me a PM. I check this thread daily, so I'll respond promptly.

Thanks, oh, and lets not forget EIGHT days left!!!

Hi folks, I have this posted the board for my specific sailing, but figured I'd post here as well for anyone who may be arriving on the Breakaway! Thanks!

Thanks, oh, and lets not forget EIGHT days left!!!

Well that was quick! Found a couple to join us, but thanks all for looking!!!

Hi Bill - have a wonderful trip.

We have Mr. Fox booked for our Summit cruise in mid-June, so if you feel like reporting back here as to what you saw and did on your tour, I would be very interested.

Bon voyage to both of you!

Janet

Hi Bill - have a wonderful trip.

We have Mr. Fox booked for our Summit cruise in mid-June, so if you feel like reporting back here as to what you saw and did on your tour, I would be very interested.

Bon voyage to both of you!

Janet

Absolutely!

My wife and I are sailing on the Breakaway May 26. It's our first trip to Bermuda and we're interested in doing a taxi tour of the island on Wednesday, May 29th. Has anyone who has already arranged a tour interested in 2 more people to share the cost? Or does anyone want to join us on one? We're a married couple in our 30's. You can post here or send me a yahoo private message.

Thank you, thank you, Bucket List, for your list of taxi drivers and their emails. It is so helpful. Please report back to us when you come back. It is so nice when cruisers are willing to share the good and the not so good.

N

I received this quote - is this high or is it the norm?

$69 per person 5 hrs...cover the entire island

TTBOMK, these are the current rates a for "blue flag" taxi tour and these are not per person:

TOUR RATES

RATE 2 (per hour sightseeing - 1 to 4 passengers): $40

RATE 5 (per hour sightseeing - 5 to 6 passengers): $55.50

SBtS

Can't seem to find an available guide for June 12, 2013. We are a party of 6-will we have trouble finding one when we arrive? I have tried almost all those recommended on here. Should have done my homework alot sooner.:mad:

Can't seem to find an available guide for June 12, 2013. We are a party of 6-will we have trouble finding one when we arrive? I have tried almost all those recommended on here. Should have done my homework alot sooner.:mad:

If you disembark your ship early there are usually a large number of drivers waiting for potential customers lined up near the pier. Try looking for one with a "blue flag" on the bonnet (hood). They're certified tour guides.