Where you ever scared to cruise

jenndun

... You know, I never worried about anything happening to the ship or on board, or with the cruise... but sometimes I get anxious about the ones we leave at home... The anxiety that comes from leaving our loved ones and heading out on vacation...

Please go enjoy nd relax and know that all that will and should happen will and should and most of that is that you having a great time!!!!

Yep, I bet each of us has a touch of anxiety, or anticipation, for one reason or another... I think that should be part of the build up before EXCITING and THRILLING events!!!

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE and please REPORT BACK about all your fun!!!!

I was scared to death for the months preceeding my last cruise. (Liberty - Feb.) It was the first time I cruised alone with dd21, who is special needs. She is a great traveler - has gone on every land and sea vacation with us since she was 4. But she does have some medical issues that could pop up at any time, and do if she is over-tired, excited, etc. But dh and dd18 couldn't come - dh had given me this cruise for last year's mother's day. I dreaded going to the airport "alone", thru security "alone", checking into a pre-cruise hotel "alone", spending the night "alone", getting to the port "alone", boarding "alone", etc. All my fears were for naught. We had a great time- and I am even thinking of going again with her next Feb.!

No, but I think my 14 year old son might be. He's never been on a ship and I think he's thinking about Titanic. He'll get over it when he gets there. My 6 year old daughter has severe anxiety in most situations, and right now, she's not scared. Don't know how she's going to feel when I try to get her to go to Camp Carnival, but I'll worry about it then.

I try not to think about things like OMG I'll be in the middle of the ocean, what if something happens, because if I did, I would never do anything. I don't swim, so I'd be the first one dead. LOL Flying is worse, you're trapped in a little plane thousands of feet in the air. Yeah, I just plan on going and not thinking about anything that will scare me.

.....I took my then 9 yo son to see Poseidon with Kurt Russell. He asked me why we were going to see it. I told him, in case a rogue wave hits the ship, then we can know what to do.

We now know when the ship turns upside down, don't be in the disco with all the lights.

;)

wasiii

BTW Tapi, I'm waving to you from across the way in Fairburn!

Hey gapearl I'm waving at you in Fairburn! Now that's crazy......:D

Wow to both of you. I can be at your house in 10 minutes. Let's have a Cruise Critic party! :D

i've had several family members / friends back out on me when planning cruises because of fears. I tried to explain to them that there are plenty of life boats, life vests, etc. And for those smaller trips that we would take, such as PC to Nassau, there is usually other ships travelling the same route, so we're never really alone out there. Not to mention you can sometimes forget you are ON a ship due to its size!

All this talk about cruising has me ready for my next one -- dang it! LOL

Nope, have never been scared. Always excited to be on a ship. It's very relaxing. I always have such a free feeling while on them. The only time I had any apprehension was when we took our then 4 yr old who climbs EVERYTHING. We were staying in a room with a balcony. I was so glad we did it though because we were able to teach him early on that the balcony was dangerous, etc. The apprehension disappeared quickly because he was very well behaved on the balcony - didnt even try to climb. Relax, have a DOD, and you are going to have a great time!

Wow! After reading all these responses I am even more grateful than ever that I don't have these sorts of what-if thoughts. I've been on a plane that had to make an emergency landing because it lost an engine. Never worried once. Simply asked my DH if the plane could fly/land with one engine and he assured me it could and all was well. And you haven't lived until you are coming in for a landing (from 35,000 ft to the ground in under 10 minutes!) and the entire runway is lined with firetrucks, emergency vehicles, ambulances and police cars, LOL! I have also been on a ship in a storm with 20 ft seas. The ship was rocking so bad that the horizon would go completely out of site. Everything in the gift shops fell over. Most of the water sloshed out of the pool. It was GREAT!!!!!!

I have never, ever worried about anything going wrong on a cruise ship or anywhere else. I guess part of it is that I am not afraid to die and that probably carries a lot of weight in the fear column.

I feel for all you folks that have these fears. But as most have pointed out, OP, they tend to go away after you see how big the ship is and after that first day at sea. Good luck and enjoy (hopefully!).

Am I unusual? I never think twice about any of these things. I'm not a worrier. Are people this anxious because they don't travel very much, or are these worries applied to other areas of your life besides travel? It must be exhausting.

Wow! After reading all these responses I am even more grateful than ever that I don't have these sorts of what-if thoughts. I've been on a plane that had to make an emergency landing because it lost an engine. Never worried once. Simply asked my DH if the plane could fly/land with one engine and he assured me it could and all was well. And you haven't lived until you are coming in for a landing (from 35,000 ft to the ground in under 10 minutes!) and the entire runway is lined with firetrucks, emergency vehicles, ambulances and police cars, LOL! I have also been on a ship in a storm with 20 ft seas. The ship was rocking so bad that the horizon would go completely out of site. Everything in the gift shops fell over. Most of the water sloshed out of the pool. It was GREAT!!!!!!

I have never, ever worried about anything going wrong on a cruise ship or anywhere else. I guess part of it is that I am not afraid to die and that probably carries a lot of weight in the fear column.

I feel for all you folks that have these fears. But as most have pointed out, OP, they tend to go away after you see how big the ship is and after that first day at sea. Good luck and enjoy (hopefully!).

Been in 20 foot seas for two days and was on a flight back from Aruba when then jet dropped 10,000 feet. Also went on a cruise one week after 9/11 where many people canceled....I don't get the fears either...Then again have me stand at the edge of a very high place like the roof of a one story house (LOL) and I get very uncomfortable......;)

I wasn't scared about something life or death happening on the cruise. I was more nervous about whether it was something we would like. Our first cruise kind of came up out of the blue for us, as it was a trip one my uncle's advertising clients had received from the chain of TV stations, but he couldn't go, so we went in his place. We only found out about it 6 weeks or so prior, and there weren't as many resources to research cruises back then as easily as today. Obviously, and thankfully, we didn't fall into that "cruises aren't for everybody" category.

Nope, never been scared on any sort of vacation. I used to love flying, but don't look forward to it anymore...not afraid, not anxious, just find it uncomfortable and unpleasant. But I've not ever been afraid or worried about the ship capsizing or any of that.

I was never scared... I think I was way too excited.

My SIL was scared, both times she went. She was worried about the small hallways and cramped areas.

This year, one of the boys going with us (14 years old) is nervous about everything! Sinking, sharks, sea sick... you name it.:eek: I bet he'll get over that pretty quick once we get there and he sees the ship.

Am I unusual? I never think twice about any of these things. I'm not a worrier. Are people this anxious because they don't travel very much, or are these worries applied to other areas of your life besides travel? It must be exhausting.

I was just thinking the same thing. I think we've become a very fearful society. I believe that the media plays on this big time. Turn on the TV and the news promises to tell you about the latest threat to our lives - just "tune in at 10."

It didn't occur to me to be afraid of cruising. I don't like to fly, but I don't let it stop me from traveling. A glass of wine and I'm usually good to go.

OP-you'll be fine. And soon you'll be reassuring another newbie that there's nothing to fear. Have fun.

Been in 20 foot seas for two days and was on a flight back from Aruba when then jet dropped 10,000 feet. Also went on a cruise one week after 9/11 where many people canceled....I don't get the fears either...Then again have me stand at the edge of a very high place like the roof of a one story house (LOL) and I get very uncomfortable......;)

That was the only time I got scared & actually canceled a cruise. Just a few days after 9/11 we cancelled a cruise scheduled for that November.

My whole family got norovirus on our 3rd cruise (or most of us right after we disembarked). So prior to the 4th cruise, i was freaked out looking on boards and news reports if there were any outbreaks. On the fourth cruise, I did have a slight anxiety attack when i became slightly queasy from the motion. I thought i was getting sick again. But the rest of our cruises have been noro-free. To this day I still hit elevator buttons with my knuckle instead of forefinger (more likely to touch nose/eyes with your finger). On the cruise where we got sick we were on deck 1 by the medical facilities. All I could think of was the sick people pushing the button on the elevator to go down to the doctor.

Worry is a waste of time. You could have a car accident to the airport and be killed. Your plane could crash on your way. You could have an auto accident from the airport to the dock. You could have a heart attack. I understand concerns. I almost drowned as a child and I am not crazy about water. But, on a ship is like being in a large hotel. And usually you forget your on a ship it is so smooth. And when you go to the top of the ship, at sea, one evening and look out at the water and the beautiful stars you realize how vast the world truly is and how we are but the size of an ant. One to enjoy God's creation and take in the beauty. To me, there is nothing as relaxing and enjoyable as a cruise. Have fun, relax, and enjoy to your fullest. You deserve to have a good time and experience all life as to offer.

I am not afraid of anything related to cruising, nowadays, even after going through a ship fire in which my DH had to assist the security staff, as they were not handling it well! (He was the deputy director of our county's emergency management agency for a term). I use to make fun of him when he would spend the first few hours onboard a ship scoping out evac routes. . .not any more! Scope away!

My first few cruises, I had some of the anxieties expressed by other posters but most related to whether I would like cruising, and then, if the second cruise would ever live up to the first, etc.

Hmmm......nope. I've never once been the least bit scared to go on a cruise.

Of course, being a 10 year U.S. Navy veteran, I've sailed through hurricanes, and the North Atlantic in winter on a ship WAY smaller than any modern day cruise ship. If that didn't scare me, then I doubt any combination of ship and weather is likely to. :)

Also, my very first cruise (as a passenger) was on the CCL Jubillee on Sept 13th 2001. I wasn't scared about that either. Many family and friends were very concerned about my DW and I sailing so soon after the terrorist attack. I understood the concern, but I was not about to let the actions of a few insane, radical, evil people change the way I live my life. Perhaps I'm just stubborn that way. :o I'm glad we went, it was a wonderful cruise and the start of our obsession with cruising!!!

I never understood this line of thought.

Do you think about all the things that go wrong when you are driving?

Or when you go swimming?

Or step on an escalator?

Or step in an elevator?

Or look at a window that isn't ground floor?

Or, or...the multitude of things that you do an a daily basis that have far more incidents of accidents than cruising?

Sheeesh people.

:eek:

Archived