Serenade of the Sea vs. Adventure of the Sea

Hi everyone. I have never cruised on RCI before, but my mom has. We are taking her on a cruise for her birthday and were looking at the Serenade of the Sea and the Adventure of Sea out of San Juan. I was just wondering what ship is better. Thanks for all the help.

I was in a similar situation as you when I wanted to take my parents on their first cruise. We picked the Explorer (same class as Adventure) because of the wow factor. Also with a ship that big, I figured they would find some lounge or area to hang out and feel comfortable in. They really liked going to the promenade cafe and enjoying the treats there. Both ships are nice, the Serenade will be a bit more on the elegant side, but if your Mom wants something a bit more unique and extraordinary then pick the Adventure.

BTW, I've been on AOS twice, it's one of my favorite ships.

izzyvet: How was it getting off the ship at ports? Little concerned about the additional passengers. I'm also deciding between the 2 ships. I have been on the Monarch before. The size of the ship and the different islands are my deciding factors right now.

Both ships are huge...the size isn't as much a factor as you would think! Especially at docked ports, you just walk off the ship...no big deal! Not everyone goes and comes at the same time! Even tendering isn't a hardship, unless you MUST be 1st off....we are never in a hurry to hit shore!

We do prefer the Solarium on the Voyager class ships...it's open-roofed, so you can actually tan in there....not so on Radiance class.

izzyvet: How was it getting off the ship at ports? Little concerned about the additional passengers. I'm also deciding between the 2 ships. I have been on the Monarch before. The size of the ship and the different islands are my deciding factors right now.

Both ships are huge...the size isn't as much a factor as you would think! Especially at docked ports, you just walk off the ship...no big deal! Not everyone goes and comes at the same time! Even tendering isn't a hardship, unless you MUST be 1st off....we are never in a hurry to hit shore!

We do prefer the Solarium on the Voyager class ships...it's open-roofed, so you can actually tan in there....not so on Radiance class.

Yes, getting off the ship was a non-issue. We just took the elevators instead of walking down like DH and I usually do. Then elevators back up. (we aren't used to taking elevators when we cruise - THAT was a new experience!) My parents had a few RCL excursions scheduled that they were interested in. DH and I would hang out on the beach and they would go see Mayan Ruin or do a submarine or something like that. They aren't really beach people like we are. Nice thing about a cruise, there is something for everyone and you don't have to always do everything together!

And my dad never had any interest in going to Mexico. That cruise was Cozumel and Costa Maya. He loved it!! After that cruise we did Mexican Riviera together. He has a whole different idea of Mexico now, which is great and no reluctance to travel there again.

Serenade is much smaller than AOS. We will be on AOS this December but would have repeated on Serenade if it had been available when we were able to travel. Either ship will do because both cruises will be EXTREMELY port intensive (which we love). Choose the islands you want to see the most. :p

I'd go with the Adventure of the Seas as well, but that's because I'm addicted to the Royal Promenade. I think it's gotten to the point that we may only choose to sail on Voyager, Freedom, or Oasis class ships in the future. Fortunately, that gives us plenty of options!

We've been on both and if given a choice on any day of the week, I will take Adventure. That being said however, there is nothing WRONG with Serenade. Just a matter of taste which is that I like the Royal Promenade ships, of which all Voyager and Freedom class are.

Either choice, Happy Cruising.

Have any of you stayed in a OS on the AOS? We are planning a cruise and wondering about the balcony size. Having been on SOS we had a very large balcony in a OS but heard on the Voyager class they are smaller...any help?

I'd go with the Adventure of the Seas as well, but that's because I'm addicted to the Royal Promenade. I think it's gotten to the point that we may only choose to sail on Voyager, Freedom, or Oasis class ships in the future. Fortunately, that gives us plenty of options!

Same with us. We really missed the Royal Promenade when we sailed on Serenade. We are pretty much stuck on the Voyager, Freedom, And Oasis classes also.

When it's just the wife and I, we prefer the more intimate, elegant feel of the Serenade (Radiance class) or smaller. When we travel with the kids, it has to be Voyager class or bigger.

You really can't go wrong with either. It just depends on what your looking for from a cruise ship.

Adventure any day over a Radiance class ship. I've never understood why they bring a Radiance class ship to warm/hot weather climate.

I wish they would send them all overseas and bring back our voyager class !!!

:confused: What's wrong with Radiance class in hot weather? I had a fabulous time on the Seranade last month. I loved every inch of that ship.

:confused: What's wrong with Radiance class in hot weather? I had a fabulous time on the Seranade last month. I loved every inch of that ship.

I think the reference was more to the Radiance class ships having the enclosed solariums which would make them a better choice for cooler weather cruises than the Voyager ships whci have the open solariums. Explorer sailing out of NJ in winter encounters two cold days going down and two cold days coming back from the Caribbean where the outside decks and pools can be pretty useless.

Adventure and Serenade are my two favorite ships. They are favorites for different reasons; each has its advantages.

ADVENTURE ADVANTAGES:

• The ice rink/ice shows
  • The Royal Promenade and the Promenade Parades
  • Johnny Rockets (if you're into casual specialty restaurants)
  • In-Line skating track

SERENADE ADVANTAGES:

• Smaller and more intimate. You'll notice this when comparing public events held on both ships. Where the 70s party and Quest feel like SHOWS on Adventure, they feel more like PARTIES on Serenade. You really have far more opportunities to meet and bond with the crew and other passengers on Serenade.
  • Adult solarium with no-cost snack bar featuring made-to-order crepes
  • Sea View Cafe (no extra charge, unlike Johnny Rockets)
  • Lots of glass offering ocean views (including the elevators!)

I will be traveling with teens on my next cruise, so I'll be on a Voyager Class ship.

In 2012, I want to go back on Serenade.

It all depends on if you're looking for BIG and WOW, or SMALL and FRIENDLY.

Archived