NCL STAR not a ship for Alaska cruising.

furluvcats

We leave on the Star on June 5th. We booked a lower inside room because of sea sickness. I had researched the Star as we have been on several NCL cruises prior to this sailing. The information for the boat I was given (over a year ago) did not show the changes in the Spinnaker Lounge or Cigar Lounge. I booked through NCL themselves and was never given this important piece of information. Standing outside for long periods of time will be difficult due to a plate in my cervical spine which causes pain when cold for long periods of time. We usually spend a good deal of time in lounge areas with large windows. It would seem that we spent a lot of money for a disappointing cruise. My husband is booked on several excursions and my plan was to enjoy the views from inside while he hiked. I am very disappointed in my cruise consultant and NCL in general. We have been on Royal Caribbean and Carnival but our favorite cruise of all time was on the Norway - a beautiful boat that is sorely missed.:confused:

we were booked on the Norway and so excited to sail on her and it was to be our first suite! Unfortunately it blew up (engine room) just prior to our sailing so we missed out...highly dissappointed.

If you haven't already booked on the Star for alaska, I reccomend that you check out other ships for this vacation. Even though the price was right for us, we wish we had chosen more wisely for Alaska.

I agree, the Star without a forward observation lounge won't be the best ship viewing Alaska inside. I believe this is her last year of Alaskan itineraries.

However, never assume every ship has a forward observation lounge, or for that matter similar deck plans. Your mistake was to assume...

our cruise had a group of 800 Chinese, and 300 Koreans...they pretty much stayed in the buffet and all the interior window seats amongst the ship...napping and such...the cruise staff said its a difficult cruise every year, with the extreme difference in culture and some behaviorial issues. I am not coming down on the Chinese..I am just stating that this was a bit different of a cruise because large groups tend to stay together so all the inside spaces were well crowded.

Yeah, the weather wasnt a problem for me...at all! I expected worse lol...just simply the Spinnaker being moved...we were in the owners suite with friends the majority of the time so we were fortunate enough to have a nice viewing area forward and side..

The Star was great 5 years ago for the Mexican riviera...its just not suitable for Alaska. And yes, refurbishment is still going on while it sails...

all repo cruises from the so part of CA or around the canal to the Pacific North West is usually occupied with a high number of Asians as so many live in the area. I don't know what that really has to do with who sat where on the ship???

Nita

On the ncl website, it appears that in may of 2011, ncl will be modifying the layout of the star to move the Spinnaker back to its original spot. Check it out - am I readin

g this right?.

On the ncl website, it appears that in may of 2011, ncl will be modifying the layout of the star to move the Spinnaker back to its original spot. Check it out - am I readin

g this right?.

No you are not.

Bg

all repo cruises from the so part of CA or around the canal to the Pacific North West is usually occupied with a high number of Asians as so many live in the area. I don't know what that really has to do with who sat where on the ship???

Nita

I think the op was reporting what they observed--indicating the inside viewing spaces were very crowded.

As I stated when this first happen Nita this was going to make a lot of people who had booked previous to this NCL decision unhappy-- I stated they should have made a formal press release and was bashed for it--it looks like they did not even inform people who were booked--poor management. I am happy I cancelled my cruise thru the Canal on the Star and rebooked on the Pearl even though it cost more.

BG

When the Spinniker was removed from the Star, we decided at that time we would not book the Star any more. However, we have already booked the Sun and the Pearl again for future cruises....so I guess NCL isn't too worried reading my thoughts.

I think the op was reporting what they observed--indicating the inside viewing spaces were very crowded.

As I stated when this first happen Nita this was going to make a lot of people who had booked previous to this NCL decision unhappy-- I stated they should have made a formal press release and was bashed for it--it looks like they did not even inform people who were booked--poor management. I am happy I cancelled my cruise thru the Canal on the Star and rebooked on the Pearl even though it cost more.

BG

and I am not disagreeing with you or anyone else, I too, have said there are better choices for Alaska right now, I just don't see why it was necessary to point out the numbe of Asians on the ship, what did that have to do with people sleeping, reading or whatever in the inside window, viewing area. We had the same thing on the Pearl a few weeks ago, I never paid much attention to the nationality or race of the individuals.

and I am not disagreeing with you or anyone else, I too, have said there are better choices for Alaska right now, I just don't see why it was necessary to point out the numbe of Asians on the ship, what did that have to do with people sleeping, reading or whatever in the inside window, viewing area. We had the same thing on the Pearl a few weeks ago, I never paid much attention to the nationality or race of the individuals.

I agree race should not be not the focus of the issue.

BG

It was a strange move, one thing though to remember, the Star is only in Alaska 4 months and the rest of the time it sails out of L.A. (soon out of Tampa) I have seen, as many have, the lack of people using Spinnaker except for the purpose mentioned. I wonder if there is a possiblity they will move her out of Alaska all together in a few years.

If I were doing Alaska right now, I would choose another ship or get a cabin with an awesome view.

Nita

Nita I said this very same thing just last night to Doug... that I believe this is the last year for the Star in Alaska. I really do believe for her more tropical sailings not having the view area of Spinnaker Lounge will have less impact. They are still selling cruises to Alaska for next year for the Star, but they also had sold cruises this year, one way cruises, for Alaska, on the Sun and they canceled those sailings (that was what we had intended to book this year, but they canceled them before we actually booked). I could be very wrong, but I just have a gut feelings that the Star is not long for Alaska.

I just don't see why it was necessary to point out the numbe of Asians on the ship, what did that have to do with people sleeping, reading or whatever in the inside window, viewing area. We had the same thing on the Pearl a few weeks ago, I never paid much attention to the nationality or race of the individuals.

The claim was there was an association; it wasn't just a random mass gathering of people on the insides. If there is an association it doesn't need to be covered up.

I'm afraid that this board is going to hear a lot of complaints about the Star this summer season. Frankly, I will not blame people for venting. The change was not advertised, and people who don't do a lot of research about their vacations are going to have the unpleasant surprise of the recent changes. For the record, the Star was Jinglette and my favorite ship having cruised on her 5 times. I would most certainly not select her now for an Alaskan cruise, and we always have a Balcony stateroom. I can't even fathom how crowded the buffet seating is going to be this summer.:eek:

Jingle

It is easy to sit at your computer and ask what the large group on board had to do with anything. We were on this cruise. Believe me having this large of an affinity group onboard changes the dynamics of a cruise. It doesn't matter if they are Asians, bikers or nudists (groups I have heard people complain about), this large of a group changes the synergy.

We were lucky to have a balcony, but going to the buffet area was definitely a challenge. That is the only other large indoor area on the Star. We were on the Pearl to Alaska last year, and the indoor area was wonderful.

Penny

My DH & I booked the Star AFTER research & picked it very specifically

for it's Cigar Bar, the price, and the departure city. Fortunately, we booked

a balcony so the location of the Spinnaker is not of particular concern to

us. After final payment, we learned of the removal of the Cigar Bar. We are

disappointed but it will certainly not ruin our cruise as we are still getting

the majority of our choices.

You don't think they will change the departure city on us do you? LOL!!!!;)

It is easy to sit at your computer and ask what the large group on board had to do with anything. We were on this cruise. Believe me having this large of an affinity group onboard changes the dynamics of a cruise. It doesn't matter if they are Asians, bikers or nudists (groups I have heard people complain about), this large of a group changes the synergy.

We were lucky to have a balcony, but going to the buffet area was definitely a challenge. That is the only other large indoor area on the Star. We were on the Pearl to Alaska last year, and the indoor area was wonderful.

Penny

We were on this cruise too and I agree with your comment about the large group 100%! I don't get why people felt they the need sleep in the window seats when they had a perfectly good cabin for that. Luckily we had a balcony so we could do our viewing from there.

My DH & I booked the Star AFTER research & picked it very specifically

for it's Cigar Bar, the price, and the departure city. Fortunately, we booked

a balcony so the location of the Spinnaker is not of particular concern to

us. After final payment, we learned of the removal of the Cigar Bar. We are

disappointed but it will certainly not ruin our cruise as we are still getting

the majority of our choices.

You don't think they will change the departure city on us do you? LOL!!!!;)

I will post this and I hope it may help ease some of your disappointment. Im a smoker, but I could not stand the smell in the tiny area of the "cigar bar". And I love the smell of a good cigar. Believe me when I say the "cigar bar" was nothing like what you would probably expect. It was probably at most a 20' x 20' glass enclosed area with a few tables and a few chairs. I will say that at least it was one of the few indoor and public areas you could smoke.. but it just wasn't a place I wanted to hang in. Now it maybe different for true cigar smokers, but I don't see how they could have enjoyed the smell of thier good cigar over the smell of that room in general.

I will post this and I hope it may help ease some of your disappointment. Im a smoker, but I could not stand the smell in the tiny area of the "cigar bar". And I love the smell of a good cigar. Believe me when I say the "cigar bar" was nothing like what you would probably expect. It was probably at most a 20' x 20' glass enclosed area with a few tables and a few chairs. I will say that at least it was one of the few indoor and public areas you could smoke.. but it just wasn't a place I wanted to hang in. Now it maybe different for true cigar smokers, but I don't see how they could have enjoyed the smell of thier good cigar over the smell of that room in general.

Hey terrymtex01 - You were so right about 9232 on the Star. We LOVED this cabin. Spent tons of time in there. Hope you have a wonderful time on your upcoming cruise!

furluvcats,

When you book ANY cruise, YOU NEED TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST.

The Norwegian Star was originally designed as a gambling ship for Star Cruises. It was to be called Superstar Libra, and planned to sail the South China Sea (where it is always warm) out of Singapore and Hong Kong.

When Star Cruises decided to give it to their new subsidiary, NCL, they made a very few alterations to adapt it to sailing in Hawaii (where it is always warm), and changed the name.

A few years ago, NCL found they could make far more profit by sailing the ship in Alaska - and rely on nimrods who don't do their homework to fill up the ship.

Very noble of you to tell us how you screwed up. Hopefully you learned your lesson.

furluvcats,

The Norwegian Star was originally designed as a gambling ship for Star Cruises. It was to be called Superstar Libra, and planned to sail the South China Sea (where it is always warm) out of Singapore and Hong Kong.

When Star Cruises decided to give it to their new subsidiary, NCL, they made a very few alterations to adapt it to sailing in Hawaii (where it is always warm), and changed the name.

A few years ago, NCL found they could make far more profit by sailing the ship in Alaska - and rely on nimrods who don't do their homework to fill up the ship.

Very noble of you to tell us how you screwed up. Hopefully you learned your lesson.

WOW:eek: Our family was on this cruise too!

Google search for us nimrods....

Nimrod

In the Bible, a mighty hunter and king of Shinar who was a grandson of Ham and a great-grandson of Noah.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Cite This Source

Slang Dictionary

nimrod definition

[ˈnɪmrɑd]

n.

a simpleton; a nerd. : What stupid nimrod left the lid off the cottage cheese?

Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions by Richard A. Spears.Fourth Edition.

Copyright 2007. Published by McGraw Hill.

Cite This Source

Wonder which one we are?????:D

A little harsh, if not to the point of extreme. I would not expect the general public to know the ugly details of the Star and the NCL marriage a few years ago. It is now just being exposed as a bad marriage for what it is. Blaming an innocent passenger who booked without reading all of the political facts is wrong.

furluvcats,

This is criticism that looks as if it comes from a nimrod.

BG

I enjoyed the Star before the renovations. I am much less likely to sail her now that Spinaker has moved. Certainly unlikely to choose her for Alaska or Panama (both scenic, and often wet). Also unlikely for long cruises with many sea days (like relocations). Also unlikely for cooler climates (Canada, Norther Europe). Even for other destinations, I will probably chose other ships (or at least expect to pay significantly less).

I am sad that NCL made this choice for the Star. I hope NCL does not do this to her sister ship Dawn.

I would have to agree with the OP. We were on the Star to the MR in early March and hand and inside cabin. On cold days there was almost no public space to sit if you did not want to drink. With the lack of comfortable public viewing spaces I could not imagine booking and inside cabin for Alaska.

Archived