Sunset Verandah

cindilouwho

Thanks for the info. I was just upgraded toan SV and needed to know which one would be best. I love aft cabins on many ships but find the vibration sometimes just a little hard to take....especially after a good bottle of wine!!! :eek:

Cindi, we were in an aft recently on the Quest. Loved looking at the wake but could not see over the railing (it's solid from the rail to the floor) unless we were standing (and we are tall). The balcony was big enough to take two full loungers (cheapy ones) as well as the table and chairs. On the loungers you can't see a thing. We were in a friends Sky Suite and loved the clear view through the railing as well as the substantially larger cabin. We booked the SV knowing all the pros and cons and glad we tried it but the fact we couldn't see the water when sitting would make me hesitant to book it again. Vibrations at the rear were quite noticeable at times but we got so used to it (took a couple days) that we really didn't apy attention to it after while it and it certainly didn't annoy us. See if this link work for a photo.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=156530&stc=1&d=1274229499

Deb.

DSC_0262.jpg.64201932f4dd5412dfea760e44a29f80.jpg

Cindi, we were in an aft recently on the Quest. Loved looking at the wake but could not see over the railing (it's solid from the rail to the floor) unless we were standing (and we are tall). The balcony was big enough to take two full loungers (cheapy ones) as well as the table and chairs. On the loungers you can't see a thing. We were in a friends Sky Suite and loved the clear view through the railing as well as the substantially larger cabin. We booked the SV knowing all the pros and cons and glad we tried it but the fact we couldn't see the water when sitting would make me hesitant to book it again. Vibrations at the rear were quite noticeable at times but we got so used to it (took a couple days) that we really didn't apy attention to it after while it and it certainly didn't annoy us. See if this link work for a photo.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=156530&stc=1&d=1274229499

Deb.

Interesting, the PH has the same high railing.

Interesting, the PH has the same high railing.

Jade, not 100% sure, but I think from what I've seen, all cabins on deck 7 with the exception of the aft section have partial railings similar to DebsUKs description. Other cabins, some even on deck 6 look to have full height railings. Not sure if anyone can confirm, as I'm making this deduction on a rather fuzzy clip that's posted on a well known site (not a TA).

David

Deb could I ask what # you had as we have aft SV booked for our cruise?

I hope they upgrade the furniture.....looks a bit 'cheap':rolleyes:

Little Britain, We were in #6093. The furniture is tierd looking and the loungers are the cheap type with the plastic slats across. They looked like they had seen better days. Because we couldn't see over the railing when lying on them we used them mostly for hanging laundry on. It somewaht defeated the purpose of having them as I didn't use them much. I did find that if you got two pillars from the couch and a pillow off the bed and piled them on one of the chairs, you were then high enough to sit in the chair and see right over the rail. You will also get a little bit of black soot on hte balcony from the funnels. Again, not excessive and we would ask the state room attendant to clean the baclony every few days.

We did love it so I hope my comments don't put people off. I spent quite a bit of time just staring out over the wake which is truly mesmerizing. Some posters have said it is thier favourite cabin on the entire ship. We booked knowing all of the above and still chose to try it and so we weren't disapointed with any of the things mentioned. Glad we did but would probably opt for a balcony on the side next time (and there will be a next time as we loved Azamara).

When you look down over the aft from the Windows cafe you can see that all aft balconies regardless of category have the same type of rail and solid wall. You were unable to see on to the baclony from that height but not sure what people above on the 7th floor could see when they looked out. Part of the balcony is covered anyway.

Deb.

I spent quite a bit of time just staring out over the wake which is truly mesmerizing.

Yes, wonderful. You cannot understand how relaxing until you try it!

You were unable to see on to the baclony from that height but not sure what people above on the 7th floor could see when they looked out. Part of the balcony is covered anyway.

We were in a PH on deck 8. You could see others leaning on the railing, like us but, otherwise, could not see into the balconies below.

Sue

Thanks to all for the input. I have an 8th floor aft balcony but am trying to change to the 7th floor forward. I have had aft balconies on several ships and love the wake but I would like to try forward for a little change of scenery.

Archived