Miami Beach Priceline Help

tw67

My husband and I are taking a cruise for our 20th anniversary and will be flying in late the afternoon before the cruise. I usually do priceline or hotwire and just get a room downtown the night before I cruise out of Miami. But since we weren't bringing the kids this time, we thought that maybe we would try to stay towards Miami Beach. On Priceline they have Miami Beach, and then North Miami Beach. They also have South Beach, and it divided into 3 areas, Central, Collins Avenue Oceanfront, or Ocean Drive. Does anyone know which area I should try for first? We will only go out to dinner that night, and maybe walk on the beach in the morning. If there is a place to walk around after dinner, that would be great too!

Thanks!

Terry

Terry, I won a bid on Priceline for the Eden Roc, which is a very beautiful hotel on Miami beach for $100 December 18. I had the same dilemma as you, wanting a hotel near South Beach, but definitely on the beach. I tried unsuccessfully for the South Beach area, adding in the different areas, but making sure I selected 4 star or better. I actually had to come back a different day to win the Eden Roc by adding in Miami Beach. It's not too far from the South Beach area and we have a car so we are very happy. Those South Beach hotels are very pricey. Good luck!

Thanks! I have looked on betterbidding and elsewhere, so what I am really asking was about the area of Miami Beach and South Beach. I just don't know anything about the areas. If we don't have a car with us, will we be just stuck to the hotel, or are there areas to walk to in those areas? I know I will have to pay more for the beach area.

Kitkat, so at Eden Rock I guess you felt that you needed a car?

Thanks!

Terry

I would not stay in North Miami beach. It is far from the port and will be a more expensive cab ride if that is a factor for you.

Good point!! Thanks!!

Collins Ave Oceanfront can be very nice.

Ocean Ave is the street that runs directly next to the beach in South Beach. I don't recommend hanging out down there at night if you're looking for a quiet, romantic place to walk on the beach. It's full of kids partying. Which is great if you're into that sort of thing, but I'm over it.

Collins is one street over and is the main drag for Miami Beach. Collins is great once you get up around Lincoln Road. The Fountainebleu is on Collins, one of my best girlfriends has a condo on Collins.

There are parts of Collins that are nothing but high-rise condos. Fountainebleu is one of those hotels. You have to get in a car or taxi to get anywhere you might want to walk around, or have dinner (exclusive of the Fountainbleu.) It is beachfront though and excellent as a resort, so if you just want to check in and hang out, Thumbs Up!

For Example, Collins and Lincoln are at around 17th St. (Ritz Carleton and Sagamore and DiLido are in this area.) I believe these would be your Collins Ave Oceanfront. This would be an EXCELLENT location, lots of walking around on Lincoln Rd, with shops, restaurants, music, lounges, etc. Also, very close to the port via the MacArthur parkway.

That's my .2 cents. Go for Collins Ave Oceanfront.

Thanks Ruthless! We are a little too old to hang with the kids partying! Quiet is more our speed these days!!

Thanks for the detail on the areas!!

I may end up going back to my "downtown" reliable!! LOL!!

When trying to figure out where to bid, I looked up the "available" hotels on the betterbidding site then went to their regular websites to check them out. I also map quested them to get a real feel for the area. I would have liked to use Google Earth but I have never been abel to master that site.

Thanks! I have looked on betterbidding and elsewhere, so what I am really asking was about the area of Miami Beach and South Beach. I just don't know anything about the areas. If we don't have a car with us, will we be just stuck to the hotel, or are there areas to walk to in those areas? I know I will have to pay more for the beach area.

Kitkat, so at Eden Rock I guess you felt that you needed a car?

Thanks!

Terry

Hi Terry. It really depends on what you want and where you want to stay. We wanted to stay ON THE BEACH because we love it and also wanted to see a little bit of Miami and South Beach. To do any kind of exploring you absolutely have to have a car. We got a rate of $27 plus takes off of car rental.com with Enterprise. But beware that all hotels charge outrageous parking fees, like $30/day. for us it was worth it to be able to explore the area. Eden Roc is a Marriott Hotel/resort and it's on Collins Avenue but a little farther north from South Beach. You can take a bus which runs outside the hotel for $2 down to the South Beach area, or drive if you have car. Taking taxi's everywhere will add up if you want to do any exploring. From one website I read that MIA to South Beach is $36, MIA to Key Biscayne is $36, North Beach $33 and Port $21. Miami beach to port is $24. You can see why I rented a car. But if you just want a place to relax before your cruise with no sightseeing, then go for the Intercontinental. It's considered downtown Miami and a 5 star hotel. As I said I got it for $95 on lastminutetravel. It's the only 5 star hotel that will come up if you select downtown and 4 star and above. You are within walking distance of the Bayside Marketplace for breakfast or lunch. You can see the ships come in since it is right on the bay.

Here's a link for taxi rates:

http://www.southbeach-usa.com/guide/transportation/taxi-rates.htm

Here's a link for Eden Roc so you can see the pictures and rates if you were to book directly.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-photos/miasr-eden-roc-renaissance-miami-beach/

Here's the website for the Intercontinental Hotel so you can check it out:

http://www.icmiamihotel.com/

Thanks Kathy! $95 for Intercontinental is great! I have never tried lastminutetravel before. I know people who have gotten it on Priceline for about $100 before. I love waking up and seeing my ship in the morning! I may just have to look downtown!!

Thanks so much for all the information.

Terry

Kathy,

Thank you soooo much! I just did Lastminutetravel and got Intercontinental for $87 plus tax!! Total was $100.89!

I am so excited!! Thanks so much!!

Terry

Kathy,

Thank you soooo much! I just did Lastminutetravel and got Intercontinental for $87 plus tax!! Total was $100.89!

Terry

??

So you don't need a beach hotel?

I had been torn on beach or downtown but some good arguments had been given to me to stay in downtown. I didn't think that I was going to get anything better at the beach for $100.

Terry

Kathy,

Terry

Hey Terry, you beat my rate!! Great job and glad I could help. You are welcome.

I'm so torn about where we're staying pre cruise in August. We will be a family of 5 (one of which is my mom).

John in DC and Blue Heron were helpful in giving suggestions if I want to do a 2 bdrm suite style hotel. I was pretty sure I was going to do the Residence Inn in Coconut Grove, instead of the Homewood Suites in Blue Lagoon.

Now I keep thinking I should do something nicer, as the cost for 2 rooms either off one of the bidding sites or another booking option I have would be about the same. The down side is that I don't know how far something like the Intercontinental really is from places to eat. We're arriving around 3:30 in MIA so by the time we get bags and get out of there, we're talking after 4 PM so we don't really need nightlife or action or the beach.

Mom really prefers a place with a shuttle to the hotel and a breakfast. I don't care if we have to get a cab, but I need to know that there is someplace close by (since mom really can't walk that far) for dinner and a quick breakfast the next morning. Yes, I know I can do cabs, but if that's the case, it adds to the price and I'm better off with one of the suite hotels listed above (although I don't really know how close Coco Walk is to the Residence Inn and if I can do without a rental there).

Please, someone help me. I'm driving myself crazy with this.

I had been torn on beach or downtown but some good arguments had been given to me to stay in downtown. I didn't think that I was going to get anything better at the beach for $100.

Terry

What a shame.

• 3 weeks later...
When trying to figure out where to bid, I looked up the "available" hotels on the betterbidding site then went to their regular websites to check them out. I also map quested them to get a real feel for the area. I would have liked to use Google Earth but I have never been abel to master that site.

I just thought I would chime in on the Google Earth...a different alternative is yahoo maps. You type in the address/area and then there is a little yellow "person" by the + and - sign to zoom in. Then grab that yellow person and put it on the map...it will stand you on the street where you want to be. You can "walk" up and down the street as if you were there in person. :D

Archived