No More Bon Voyage Liqure

AZchieffan

My wife has been bugging me to go on a RCCL cruise. we were going to go on the Victory out of San Juan. Now we will be going on the Serenade of the Seas. The BV liquor rule change has made me give in. I don't mind paying more for the liquor, but I am very upset that now I have to break the rules to have a cocktail in my room when I want it.

If they are going to do this, they need to have a stocked mini bar in every stateroom.

With the removal of this I wonder how long before they decide to not allow us to bring our own wine or champaigne...I'm sorry if you want wine you have to buy it from us at our unresonable prices...

I bet that change is right around the corner.

Royal Caribbean did away with their policy around 2006/2007 and they didn't reinstate.

And RC still can't make money. Is Carnival trying to upset it's loyal base and become more like RC? If I was a stockholder, I'd be pretty pissed about where they're headed.

OK....I was almost convinced before that the beards at Carnival were smoking something other than the legal stuff. Now I am 100% convinced. WHY in God's name would you stop this when you are making a zillion percent markup on the item you are doing away with??????
More like 400-700%, but let's not split hairs. Mainly it's because now they get 2300% mark up when they sell it by the shot/drink at the bar.

well, i planned on ordering a bottle or 2 of the good stuff from BV, but mostly stick with beer on my upcoming (1st) cruise. Now, I will forego the liquor altogether and just stick with beer.

that said, the "I'm going to go to another cruise line" stuff is tiring...people making statements like that aren't to be reckoned with. If I'm carnival, I tell those people i'm sorry you feel that way, but so long. from reading here, it seems like RCL doesn't offer anything comparable to the BV department, so if you are so rooted in your opposition to them doing away with this, then clearly you won't go there.

You are more likely to get carnival's attention if you explain to them the more realistic scenario/situation...that changes such as this serve to lessen the value proposition that cruising offers compared to other options - such as flying to a destination and staying at a hotel. Therefore, when booking your next vacation, you will be more seriously considering the other vacation options available to you.

Don't just automatically say 'i'm done cruising with you'...to me, that serves to simply tell them that they have already lost you, so doing something simply to please you isn't worth their while.

And RC still can't make money. Is Carnival trying to upset it's loyal base and become more like RC? If I was a stockholder, I'd be pretty pissed about where they're headed.

I'm not a stock holder yet but may be if Gerry keeps taking whatever he is taking to allow all this hallucinating he's doing, to continue. I'm looking at about $15 a share and I am so there, lol.

Come everyone...

1) Carnival Home Page, bottom of screen click on contact us.

2) Using the pull down menu select Bon Voyage Department

3) Write a note expressing your concerns

I think they will listen, let's make sure they hear us!:mad::mad::mad:

I'm not a stock holder yet but may be if Gerry keeps taking whatever he is taking to allow all this hallucinating he's doing, to continue. I'm looking at about $15 a share and I am so there, lol.

Ha! I love it, I'm right there with you. Easier to get our 100 shares at a good price :)

bon_voyage_mailbox@carnival.com

"Mr. Shae,

I am writing to you to express my concern over this new policy of not allowing orders of alcohol through the Bon Voyage department at Carnival. In all honesty, I don't drink a whole lot....I've never ordered a bottle liquor through Bon Voyage and don't have any intentions to do so.

My problem is with all of these new restrictive mandates being handed down from whoever it is "on high" at Carnival headquarters. People go on vacation to relax and have fun, and some of them enjoy a few drinks in their cabin, or enjoy having the white noise of a fan to go to sleep to at night, or enjoy looking their best with the use of a curling iron. First it was the fleetwide price hikes Carnival prepared us all for, disguised with courtesy and explanations. Then it was the "prohibited items" list, and now it's this newest restrictive regulationr regarding the sale of bottled liquor (at the standard PREMIUM prices most were willing to pay for the conveinence).

Pretty soon, Carnival may see this biting them in the rear (and wallet). Carnival's prices aren't THAT much less than many of the other mass-market cruiselines...especially to someone who enjoys having some bottles of liquor in their room and some cocktails on their balconies. The price difference between having to head to the nearest bar onboard and fetch a drink to bring all the way back to their cabin, versus ordering some bottles for consumption that are awaiting them IN their cabin, may be close enough for some that on PRINCIPLE, they choose another line over Carnival.

As adults, we earn the right to make decisions on our own...from who to give our hard earned vacation dollars to down to where we'd like to conveniently enjoy an adult beverage. I don't appreciate being told what to do on MY vacation...it's not like people are dropping fishing lines off the back of the ship or attempting to parasail off the Lido deck. They just want a drink in their rooms, and it's petty and annoying to restrict that in this manner.

I look forward to hearing from you, and being reassured that this isn't just another way to nickel-and-dime your guests.

Regards...."

well, i planned on ordering a bottle or 2 of the good stuff from BV, but mostly stick with beer on my upcoming (1st) cruise. Now, I will forego the liquor altogether and just stick with beer.

that said, the "I'm going to go to another cruise line" stuff is tiring...people making statements like that aren't to be reckoned with. If I'm carnival, I tell those people i'm sorry you feel that way, but so long. from reading here, it seems like RCL doesn't offer anything comparable to the BV department, so if you are so rooted in your opposition to them doing away with this, then clearly you won't go there.

You are more likely to get carnival's attention if you explain to them the more realistic scenario/situation...that changes such as this serve to lessen the value proposition that cruising offers compared to other options - such as flying to a destination and staying at a hotel. Therefore, when booking your next vacation, you will be more seriously considering the other vacation options available to you.

Don't just automatically say 'i'm done cruising with you'...to me, that serves to simply tell them that they have already lost you, so doing something simply to please you isn't worth their while.

I was not making a claim that I wouldn't cruise with Carnival again. I just said that my wife wants to try RCCL. The only reasonable argument that I had was that we could have a cocktail in our rooms before we went to dinner or a show. Now we can't do that, so I am giving in to the wife's request.

Not claiming you were directing your quote to me, but I did want to clarify.

Yet another MBA's stellar "profit maximizing" idea to justify his position and paycheck.

"HAY GUYZ WHY NOT GET RID OF BV, WE'LL MAKE A KILLING AT THE BAR!"

Hey carnival.. wanna squeeze more money out of your customers?

- Turn off the movie screen so you can save electricity

- For that matter, impose a speed limit on your boats so you use less oil

- Stop visiting ports - why let the money leave the ships? Make all sailings a 'cruise to nowhere'.

- Stop sending ships to drydock.. so expensive - think of all the money you'd save!

Awww pooooo! I had just finally convinced myself not to try smuggling anymore because of all the stories of confiscation, so I was planning to buy a bottle of my favorite alcoholic beverage from BV! As I say Awww Poooo!

I will still purchase my average 2 to 3 drinks a day from the bar during my cruise, but by golly, no way will I go beyond that. I would rather just do without!!!! Though I might not be as much the "happy cruiser" I have been in the past. Just my 2cents worth on this issue!:( And I dont use that frown icon very much!!!!!

Haven't read the whole thread sorry if this has been brought up already.. but I wonder if they are getting rid of the bon voyage booze and are thinking about bringing in the packages that they are offering on Celebrity... that would be nice;)

I really, truly wish I had not booked a cruise with Carnival - or at least not an Early Saver fare. I have had enough of their BS and haven't even cruised with them yet. It just seems that it is one thing after another - the luggage, the restricted items fiasco and now this. I still have nine months before my cruise - what will be my fate be then - having to pay for food, tickets for the water slide, no more room stewards to make up the rooms???? This is ridiculous. I'm almost ready to say the heck with my $1000 deposit and just forfeit it. Any all-inclusive trip I have taken (last minute - booked about 2 weeks prior at 4 and 5 star resorts) have all been less than what I am paying for this cruise alone - then I have to add on air fare, alcohol (we are drinkers while on vacation), excursions and who knows what else by the time Feb 2011 gets here!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh how I bet people long for the days of Uncle Bob.

Bill

We sure do. I was a Carnival skeptic before I first sailed them in 2006 at the advice of a TA. They sold me on the product. In turn, I've sailed 7 times with them in 3 1/2 years, have three more cruises booked, and have sung Carnival's praises to countless friends, family, and coworkers. I also became a stockholder - and not just for the OBC. I truly believed in the company.

I'm honestly starting to feel a bit slapped in the face for my loyalty. I've seen service decline on my last few cruises, live music like the jazz and classical groups taken away and replaced with smaller acts using recorded background music, other small items gone like the past guest pins and fruit punch plus hit or miss report of other items gone. Drink prices are up, and Carnival keeps issuing these crazy rulings like the luggage locking, banned electrical items, etc, then backpedaling on the policy when people complain.

I'm really starting to question the direction of the company. I fully understand the need for profits, but you walk a fine line between increasing revenue by cuts and price increases, and driving away business due to cuts, service issues, and unreasonable and unclear rules. Ultimately, if you drive away business, referrals for new business, and/or repeat business, you will lose money in the end.

I have never smuggled and until this upcoming trip, I've never ordered liquor through Bon Voyage but this new rule irritates me out of principle. It's ridiculous the lengths big business will go through to maximize their profits. That's why I've always had a problem with those "do-gooders" that lecture folks about the "evils" of smuggling, or not dressing up in the MDR or countless other things. The bottom line is that everyone has a right to enjoy their vacation the way that they want to because the cruiseline, like all other businesses, is all about squeezing as much money from their customers as possible. Are they any more moral than the smugglers? Look at this new policy and the answer is as clear as a rum runner full of vodka!

So you have a problem with a company located in a country known for it's free market economy trying to maximize their profits?

That is quite insane.

I'm just saying....

Andy

:cool::confused:

I just tried to order for my cruise in 2 weeks and was told the policy was changed, but they are getting numerous e-mails and to check back in 24 to 48 hours for a possible change.

Archived